Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Seal detaching from raised roof

Mike Sutcliffe

Mike Sutcliffe

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Please excuse my powers of description but very soon after taking delivery of my T6 I noticed that the seal had detached from the front off side corner of the raised roof when the roof is fully open. It went back to Heritage VW in Bristol for repair but on my first trip out since, I noticed it had detached again, plus the same at the other front corner! Does anyone have experience of this? It’s due back at Heritage VW under warranty next week but I’m worried about how effective this repair is? Any tips?

Do you mean the seal that runs around the edge of the lifting roof or the joint thats between the tent and the lifting roof? If the latter there have been a few people who’ve had the same problem.

All four top corners went on ours on the first trip, the roof canvas was replaced under warranty no quibble.

Do you mean the seal that runs around the edge of the lifting roof or the joint thats between the tent and the lifting roof? If the latter there have been a few people who’ve had the same problem.
5CC16A4A-7406-4D8F-A610-215F244E448D.jpeg
Hi ArunAlec. I’ve ringed the areas where the seals have disconnected as it’s hard to explain (for me!). Keeping my fingers crossed it can be robustly repaired as the last fix didn’t work beyond the next opening of the roof

Ours failed in exactly the same spots front and back. Should be a no problem to sort out. BTW we used SMG Cowfold if this is helpful. Cheers and best off luck getting it sorted.

It can happen when the rubber seal sticks to the roof and when the roof goes up it can be pulled off..Because its only a push fit it can come away easily. When we had our roof repaired because of the dreaded corrosion they actually stuck the seal in place so that won’t happen any longer.

It can happen when the rubber seal sticks to the roof and when the roof goes up it can be pulled off..Because its only a push fit it can come away easily. When we had our roof repaired because of the dreaded corrosion they actually stuck the seal in place so that won’t happen any longer.
Thanks for that Pete, sounds reassuring. I think they stuck mine last time - well that’s what they said! Hopefully this time will work better xx

Pleased to say that Heritage VW in Bristol fitted new bellows as they couldn’t get the old one to seal properly. I’m very impressed, not to say relieved!

Back