Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Table in sliding door - faulty catch

tim batten

tim batten

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
On our return journey from Slovenia and Croatia, we suddenly heard a bank from the centre cabin, and found that the folding table that stows in the sliding door had come loose and fallen out. Having tried everything to get it to stay back in, it won't. The catch appears to be inoperative. Has anyone else had this problem and either fixed it themselves (new catch needed? If so, cost?) or is it a dealer service job? Thanks.
y9emygyb.jpg

We have had problems with the catch not returning to position so the table would not latch back in. Used to force it back down with a knife through the slot. Applied some oil with a small paint brush through the catch slot and it has been ok since. Would have sprayed silicon if I had it with me.

I had the catch replaced under warranty as water had seeped in from the sliding window and the cable had rusted. No further problems since.

Our table release has always had a tendency to resist the upwards pressure on the plastic trigger, which should lift the metal catch behind, and release the table. It seemed to be harder in hot weather. Recently I applied too much strength and the plastic trigger gave way and rose 180 degrees, passing the metal catch and, being above, could not return down because of the metal catch. I thought we would have a problem once the table was back in the door, but it has turned out to be an improvement. My fingers now go through the slot and lift the metal catch itself.

While on the subject of the table in the sliding door, has anyone tried shortening the table legs to reduce the height and make them a better fit with the camping chairs ?

Not tried it but should be doable with a saw and good measure :thumb

ron b said:
While on the subject of the table in the sliding door, has anyone tried shortening the table legs to reduce the height and make them a better fit with the camping chairs ?

What a good idea: such a ridiculous design :headbang

These catches I find are very fiddly and have had to fix a few before on mine and friends. I find that if you remove the complete door pannel to access the catch, and unscrew the fittings and pack it out with a very small washer each side you will find that the catch no longer sticks, I believe that it is probably the plastic swelling and retracting with the change in ambient air temperatures.

I'm new here and this is my first post. Good to see that the problem is not a one-off on my van! Does anybody have a clear instruction / pictures how to remove the trim on the sliding door to get to the table latch? Mine has now finally given up the ghost after sticking in both positions at various times. I cannot even move it using the knife trick. Result is that I can't latch the table into the door any more.
Thanks, Steve

I ended up getting the catch replaced whilst the van was in for service at the Van Centre in Castleford (W Yorks). The catch was about £10 and fitting cost £30. Works fine now.

I fixed mine by taking the door trim off. Turned out that the whole catch mechanism had come adrift from the door. Put it all back together again, put a shim in, as mentioned on the forum, and lubricated everything. Now it all works fine. Definitely something to check after a few long journeys, just to make sure the screws are all still tight.

No need to remove anything in my experience... as long as it is just sticky and not actually broken as a result of trying to force it...

Had my van for a few months now and only had the table off a couple of times. It has been almost impossible to release it and put trim, catch and table alike under enormous stress trying to get it off. I'm not surprised people are breaking things!

Anyway we used the table this weekend while out and I couldn't face the thought of trying to get it off again. So I stowed it in the boot for the journey home. I have just spent a mere 5 minutes with a can of white grease spray with a flexi nozzle. Aiming the spray upwards angled in towards the catch from either side seemed to do the trick in freeing up the movement of the catch in its housing and now the table releases and engages perfectly :thumb
:bananadance2

No need to remove anything in my experience... as long as it is just sticky and not actually broken as a result of trying to force it...

Had my van for a few months now and only had the table off a couple of times. It has been almost impossible to release it and put trim, catch and table alike under enormous stress trying to get it off. I'm not surprised people are breaking things!

Anyway we used the table this weekend while out and I couldn't face the thought of trying to get it off again. So I stowed it in the boot for the journey home. I have just spent a mere 5 minutes with a can of white grease spray with a flexi nozzle. Aiming the spray upwards angled in towards the catch from either side seemed to do the trick in freeing up the movement of the catch in its housing and now the table releases and engages perfectly :thumb
:bananadance2

Returned to van one day and on opening sliding door table fell out onto roadside damaging table and door trim plus door wedged half open/closed.
Managed to claim new table and release handle under warranty.
Handle now spring loaded which it never was before.
Fitter says it was a rivet causing the handle to not lock in position.