Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Technology recommendations please….

Tricky74

Tricky74

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
All, I know someone may point out that this should be in a particular thread but was looking at them and they were slightly outdated so posted it here……(& apologies if anyone is upset)

Need recommendations for:
1. Front and rear dash cams with ability to monitor when parked
2. Trackers

Want to be prepared for hopeful April delivery of our Ocean…..

Any feedback gratefully received from a newbie….

@Tricky74 ,

1. Dashcams - there are many - but the best ones/recommended on here are Blackvue 2 Channel. The 4K ones give good clarity and have all the monitoring ability that you ask for.

2. On trackers there are many but I got a tracker for free (with a one time paid lifetime subscription) with my Ghost2. You should consider a Ghost2 installation for peace of mind. I got my Ghost installed by Chris at Immobiliser Direct on 07956135770. You may have installers closer to you.

@Tricky74 ,

1. Dashcams - there are many - but the best ones/recommended on here are Blackvue 2 Channel. The 4K ones give good clarity and have all the monitoring ability that you ask for.

2. On trackers there are many but I got a tracker for free (with a one time paid lifetime subscription) with my Ghost2. You should consider a Ghost2 installation for peace of mind. I got my Ghost installed by Chris at Immobiliser Direct on 07956135770. You may have installers closer to you.
Thank you

All, I know someone may point out that this should be in a particular thread but was looking at them and they were slightly outdated so posted it here……(& apologies if anyone is upset)

Need recommendations for:
1. Front and rear dash cams with ability to monitor when parked
2. Trackers

Want to be prepared for hopeful April delivery of our Ocean…..

Any feedback gratefully received from a newbie….
We’ve got Blackvue front and rear cameras. Hard wired with a Power Magic Pro to protect starter battery when in Parking Mode for long periods. Permanently Cloud connected. Happy with setup.

Vodafone Curve is a very inexpensive option for vehicle tracking. Small and easily hidden and can be hardwired.

I think it is better to prevent the theft in the first place rather than find out where your nicked van is! Ghost is excellent
Thanks any suggestions on how to prevent theft in todays society? If they want it they will always find a way

Thanks any suggestions on how to prevent theft in todays society? If they want it they will always find a way
@Tricky74 , the first visual deterrent that always helps is a steering lock. Any steering lock, preferably yellow in colour to start with.

The second invisible deterrent is the Ghost. If they get the key and start the van without the code, the engine will just die immediately and it will not start. The dash will show an engine malfunction.

The third deterrent, again visible, could be a Bearlock.

The fourth (invisible again)will be a GPS tracker with a GPS fencing option such that - if the vehicle is moved without the key, it will alert either a central control room such as these - https://globaltelemetrics.com/. They are the monitoring centre for SmartTrack GPS trackers.

And most important - have good insurance.

... and then stop worrying and enjoy the van!

We have Ghost on our 6.1. The guy that fitted it, who also fits trackers, said don't bother with a tracker. As soon as they enter the vehicle they use a jamming device so a waste of time - that was his opinion anyway.

I also like turning the driver's seat if it is being left somewhere whilst we go for a walk.

There is only so much you can do.

A chap up the road from us who has an old Landrover has a plate he locks over the pedals, does something with the ignition and removes the steering wheel. That should put most theives off.

A chap up the road from us who has an old Landrover has a plate he locks over the pedals, does something with the ignition and removes the steering wheel. That should put most theives off.
That's reminded me of an early "immobiliser" my Dad fitted to a car once. Basically a toggle switch hidden under the dashboard that broke / made the ignition circuit.

Seemed like the height of technology at the time :D

You can buy pedal locks for vans & motorhomes from around £60+

Back