Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Teething problems

E

Eldoovis

Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
Hi everyone had my cali ocean 7 months now(bought from new) absolutely in love with her and really think the overall build is great.

However having a few small nagging things and wondred if anyone has experienced similar and if you have had any resolution offered by the dealer?

1) built in windsreen bilinds. One of them does not hold in place very well and if the van moves or there is a breeze coming through it unclips and winds in. Also the material near the top plastic pins (on both blinds)are very creased and poorly sewn. It looks like it will unsew or break quite soon.

2) various parts of top metal trim on the furniture, above the 240v and 12v socket has signs of pitting, and blemishes. Same type of blemishes occuring on the folding mechanism of the headrests. ( which appears to be the same material as mentioned in point 1. Seems like a metal with a silver spray paint finish)

3) the floor rail trims in the living area are showing signs of pitting/corrosion.

I have the floor covered with a rug and i always clean with a small broom and damp cloth after weekends away.

4)t5 style bike rack. Washers between the fixed frame and swing down frame are constantly breaking. Replaced twice already and i only mount 2 bikes on the rack.

5) rubber stoppers on parcel shelf that cushion the seat bed from banging into parcel shelf frame, keep popping out and a right pain to fit back in

6) lastly and probably the worsed. I went to sleep in poptop the other night and about 20 mins after going to bed me and the missus were both scarely awoken by the sound of the pop top mechanism. I dont know if it was closong or not cos it was pitch black and i leaped downstairs as quick as possible. I looked at tbe control unit and the roof was still fully opened and had not closed. But we both definitely heard the motor going as you do when you open and close. But only heard it for like 2-3 seconds. I even looked outside incase some other van had camped next door or close by and maybe put their roof up, but no one else was around. Very strange but a scary moment. It was very windy that night dont know if maybe that could have had something to do with it.

Thanks guys

1: Take it back and have replaced under warranty.

3: My rails are a mess. I have given up cleaning them! Seriously a light scourer works.

5: A problem for all, some glue in place, some weld in place, some, like me, just throw the things in a drawer and forget about them.

6: Perfectly normal. After so long elevated the roof periodically re-tensions itself, normally just after you have gone to sleep!!

Hi everyone had my cali ocean 7 months now(bought from new) absolutely in love with her and really think the overall build is great.

However having a few small nagging things and wondred if anyone has experienced similar and if you have had any resolution offered by the dealer?

1) built in windsreen bilinds. One of them does not hold in place very well and if the van moves or there is a breeze coming through it unclips and winds in. Also the material near the top plastic pins (on both blinds)are very creased and poorly sewn. It looks like it will unsew or break quite soon.

2) various parts of top metal trim on the furniture, above the 240v and 12v socket has signs of pitting, and blemishes. Same type of blemishes occuring on the folding mechanism of the headrests. ( which appears to be the same material as mentioned in point 1. Seems like a metal with a silver spray paint finish)

3) the floor rail trims in the living area are showing signs of pitting/corrosion.

I have the floor covered with a rug and i always clean with a small broom and damp cloth after weekends away.

4)t5 style bike rack. Washers between the fixed frame and swing down frame are constantly breaking. Replaced twice already and i only mount 2 bikes on the rack.

5) rubber stoppers on parcel shelf that cushion the seat bed from banging into parcel shelf frame, keep popping out and a right pain to fit back in

6) lastly and probably the worsed. I went to sleep in poptop the other night and about 20 mins after going to bed me and the missus were both scarely awoken by the sound of the pop top mechanism. I dont know if it was closong or not cos it was pitch black and i leaped downstairs as quick as possible. I looked at tbe control unit and the roof was still fully opened and had not closed. But we both definitely heard the motor going as you do when you open and close. But only heard it for like 2-3 seconds. I even looked outside incase some other van had camped next door or close by and maybe put their roof up, but no one else was around. Very strange but a scary moment. It was very windy that night dont know if maybe that could have had something to do with it.

Thanks guys
My experience taking your points one by one.
1: The windscreen blinds can be a little temperamental but they should not become detached from their centre fixings in ordinary use. You say when the van is moving. Are you saying you drive your Cali when the blinds are in place? If so I would suggest this is not normal or recommended. I can imagine a strong breeze, particularly with the front windows open could unseat the blinds causing them to wind back in. If there is a recurring problem I suggest you take to a dealer as it is still under warranty. (do you have one locally? I see your avatar is showing Gibraltar).
2/3: These points sound like the same problem to me. Could it be salt corrosion? Do you have your Cali open for extended times near the sea when the wind is blowing? Aluminium and salt water spray are not a great combination. When you clean the surfaces do you find them slightly damp? That could be an indicator salt being present as it is hydroscopic (absorbs water). That said I think I would be inclined to see your dealer and explain the problem to them. Possible warranty claim?
4: I used to have a T5 style bike rack and only ever used it with two bikes - never a problem. Do you have the bolts that the swinging arm swings on too tight? (I have a Fiamma rack now after reversing into a tree with my old rack so cant go and check the detail set up - sorry)
5: Most owners have this problem. I have had it once. My solution? Push the rear seat backwards as far as it will go towards the parcel shelf frame and then pull it back towards the front just one notch. This provides a small amount of clearance and all should be well.
6: This is a normal thing with the hydro/electric pop up roof. It is an automatic safety mechanism that checks the roof height at a specified interval (I think it is every 10 hrs) when the roof is up and the ignition key is not in the steering column. Annoying but normal!
Hope these few pointers help. I am sure others will reply with their experience. Please let us all know how you get on.

1: Take it back and have replaced under warranty.

3: My rails are a mess. I have given up cleaning them! Seriously a light scourer works.

5: A problem for all, some glue in place, some weld in place, some, like me, just throw the things in a drawer and forget about them.

6: Perfectly normal. After so long elevated the roof periodically re-tensions itself, normally just after you have gone to sleep!!
Ooo, sorry Jen, I just wonder about your No.5. I have a feeling that the little horrors are a safety device to help provide clearance between the bed frame and rear parcel shelf so that the rear seat belts can work more smoothly without damage.

I don't know if this helps, but do you have auto lights and wipers? My last T6 did not and the blinds located spot on, my new van the internal mirror and sensor housing is larger, which in our case seems to inhibit the blinds fitting snugly into the centre flip down brackets.

Cant help with the silver coating? or the bike rack we have the tow bar mounted rack.

The black rubber bungs can be guillotined off when lowering the seat into bed mode,

To refit them,

Take out the rear mesh parcel shelf,
Unscrew the self tappers to remove the black plastic housing,
Put a tad of washing up liquid on the hole to aid lubrication,
Pull the bung back into place with snipe nosed plyers,
Twist to ensure its seated properly,
Clean off the surplus liquid,
Reattach the black housing with the two countersunk self tappers,
Put the mesh rack back in the back, lock in with the sprung bolt fasteners,

Check your seat moves far enough forward to the stop before pulling the centre strap to lower into bed mode. If the back of the seat hits the rubbers then the bed stop might want moving forward a tad.

I hope this helps.

The roof as per other responses.

As per Granny Jen take it back and replace under warranty.

Ooo, sorry Jen, I just wonder about your No.5. I have a feeling that the little horrors are a safety device to help provide clearance between the bed frame and rear parcel shelf so that the rear seat belts can work more smoothly without damage.

Yes they are. Just know they're there, or not there in my case.

Thanks for your replies, will take some pics of the blemishes on the metal trim and floor rails....the van is not exposed to salt water spray, and only ever cleaned with a damp cloth.

The blinds are the most worrying as the stitching looks like it wont last long and one of the plastic pins is crooked. Whem i say it unlocks when the van is moving, i dont mean driving. I mean rocking from suspension when getting in n out the van etc.

Im glad to hear about the roof auto tensioning and i dont need to worry about being sandwiched in the middle of my sleep.

Il take some pics and let u know how i get on with the dealership in spain.

Thanks

1. We don’t use the blinds any more, rainbow screen = privacy & no condensation.
  2. Just lock it at night, saves the embarrassing alarm going off
  3. Don’t scream the campsite drown like we did when the pop top sounded like it was coming down, it’s just adjusting

I don't know if this helps, but do you have auto lights and wipers? My last T6 did not and the blinds located spot on, my new van the internal mirror and sensor housing is larger, which in our case seems to inhibit the blinds fitting snugly into the centre flip down brackets.

Cant help with the silver coating? or the bike rack we have the tow bar mounted rack.

The black rubber bungs can be guillotined off when lowering the seat into bed mode,

To refit them,

Take out the rear mesh parcel shelf,
Unscrew the self tappers to remove the black plastic housing,
Put a tad of washing up liquid on the hole to aid lubrication,
Pull the bung back into place with snipe nosed plyers,
Twist to ensure its seated properly,
Clean off the surplus liquid,
Reattach the black housing with the two countersunk self tappers,
Put the mesh rack back in the back, lock in with the sprung bolt fasteners,

Check your seat moves far enough forward to the stop before pulling the centre strap to lower into bed mode. If the back of the seat hits the rubbers then the bed stop might want moving forward a tad.

I hope this helps.

The roof as per other responses.

As per Granny Jen take it back and replace under warranty.
The method for refitting the bungs is 100% correct and the only way
Still don’t understand the reason for them

The method for refitting the bungs is 100% correct and the only way
Still don’t understand the reason for them
It is so the Seat Belts don't get trapped between the Seat Back and the Flexi Board and can function correctly when needed.

It is so the Seat Belts don't get trapped between the Seat Back and the Flexi Board and can function correctly when needed.
Thanks for that
I didn’t replace the bungs for months, only curiosity after finding them on the van floor
Seat belts worked ok though
Thanks again

Thanks for that
I didn’t replace the bungs for months, only curiosity after finding them on the van floor
Seat belts worked ok though
Thanks again
Just don't jam the seat against the board as they may not work properly :thumb when needed.

Just taken our Cali back after 3 months as I noticed the roof lining was starting to drop just above the drivers seat. No issues with getting it fixed - apparently needs a new roof lining and protector strip and will have to wait around 2 weeks for parts. Dealer has offered to pick camper up and drop off when parts become available. Anyone else had this problem. On the passenger side the lining is a tight snug fit!

Roof lining.JPG

Back