Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thank you for a nice day VW..not

David Eccles

David Eccles

VIP Member
It was double whammy day today with both my VWs into (sep but in same group) dealerships for work
Cali issue turns out to need replacement clutch £1277
2012 Beetle timing belt has jumped meaning major and VERY expensive strip down and rebuild don't even ask how much! Parts alone are eye watering.
Oh well ..stuff happens...at least neither ended in breaking down when away from home and all that hassle...
Picnic in the 20 year old Peugeot (that has needed nil work for MOt for last 4 years!) for next week then!

£1277 for clutch/DMF sounds like main dealer prices. I would seriously shop around. Plenty of independents out there.

It was double whammy day today with both my VWs into (sep but in same group) dealerships for work
2012 Beetle timing belt has jumped meaning major and VERY expensive strip down and rebuild don't even ask how much! Parts alone are eye watering.
Oh well ..stuff happens...at least neither ended in breaking down when away from home and all that hassle...
Picnic in the 20 year old Peugeot (that has needed nil work for MOt for last 4 years!) for next week then!
Only my Cali today but like you grateful breakdown was on a local commute. :(

£1277 for clutch/DMF sounds like main dealer prices. I would seriously shop around. Plenty of independents out there.
Agree. Sure I paid about half that for clutch/dmf in good local garage. Same 2 yr warranty.

yes well am over a barrel this time, but will be looking around ...soon will need new exhaust which they want £380 for and am sure I can find somewhere cheaper than that! around 36000 miles only so would not have expected clutch to clap out so soon but things are no longer built to last any more ..

My last Pug a 2009 207 which was my work car did 180k with no issues and serviced at home by me. Only swapped as needed to ensure reliability due to the remote areas my work takes me too. You must be well miffed.

That does sound a similar price I paid on our previous Sharan just out of its 3 year warranty which decided to have a clutch fail in the middle of a very busy roundabout on the A303 and the police had to close 2 A roads for it to be recovered!! It was a disabled access vehicle and I hadn’t had it from new so VW not forthcoming on any contributions for their rubbish clutch!

36,000 is a shockingly short lifespan for a clutch, even on a heavy California. Most heavily laden T5/6 seem to do at least double that and they’re not often driven sympathetically either. I wouldn’t be so accepting that things aren’t built to last these days. Appreciate they’ve got you over a barrel as the small print will always confirm a clutch is a “consumable” item but there’s also surely a test of reasonableness to argue. Even if I accepted that one with a bad taste in my mouth I’d not give any hesitation to yanking the 2012 Beetle out of a main dealer after a timing belt failure as I’d expect their costs for an engine rebuild would make it a borderline total loss. I really feel for you, the unlucky fairy has really given you a beating.

Back