Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

That’s what they think of us .... great whites

Seaview

Seaview

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Just browsing the internet having a pre-dinner glass of wine after a long week at work and stumbled on the below comment on a rarely visited forum called Motorhomefun.

“That's why we have those gin palaces with toilets and waste tanks buttons that you don't like

It's those people with VW California with no toilet or tanks that have to crap in the bushes ‍♂️

Left the forum fairly quickly but it would appear they were discussing inappropriate waste disposal on Loch Rannoch. Bloody cheek referencing California owners. For the record, I personally have never ******* in a bush and only dispose of waste appropriately.

It’s a pity that people feel the need to publish their offensive opinions.
However, I live for part of the year on the NC500 route. This year we have had two great whites parked in our local church car park and choosing to crap in the churchyard rather than use their own toilets.
For years there has been a problem with motorhomes emptying their chemical toilets in public lavatories which, in the north of Scotland, usually drain into septic tanks. The effect of this is to kill the bacteria that digest the waste which, combined with the disinfectant, then pollutes water courses.
They can’t blame Cali owners for that!

At 48yrs old had a camper for 30yrs and a motorhome for a few years too and never once needed to crap in a bush...didnt even crap in the motorhome toilet...the idea of walking to the chemical toilet with a load of turd on wheels never appealed to me!!!!!
Always managed to use a proper toilet

Having your own on-board loo can be a disadvantage when visiting remote areas. With even only one on board they fill up. When they fill up they have to be emptied along with the poisonous chemicals that are often put into them.

As a Cali owner I either bagged my waste until I could dispose of it appropriately or dug a hole. I did not have to worry about a loo to be emptied nor the chemicals I poured into the loo. Only the inconvenience of waste confined into compostable bags.

Having your own on-board loo can be a disadvantage when visiting remote areas. With even only one on board they fill up. When they fill up they have to be emptied along with the poisonous chemicals that are often put into them.

As a Cali owner I either bagged my waste until I could dispose of it appropriately or dug a hole. I did not have to worry about a loo to be emptied nor the chemicals I poured into the loo. Only the inconvenience of waste confined into compostable bags.
I read in a local free paper that there’s a campaign to stop overnight parking along Bognor seafront due to complaints that campervaners are emptying chemical loos down the drains.

At 48yrs old had a camper for 30yrs and a motorhome for a few years too and never once needed to crap in a bush...didnt even crap in the motorhome toilet...the idea of walking to the chemical toilet with a load of turd on wheels never appealed to me!!!!!
Always managed to use a proper toilet

Likewise, out Porta Potti is only for middle of the night number one emergencies. We usually stay on some form of campsite be it a CL or full blown campsite and use the amenities including the Elsan disposal if required.

Last edited:
Likewise, out Porta Potti is only for middle of the night emergencies. We usually stay on some form of campsite be of the CL or full blown campsite and use the amenities including the Elsan disposal if required.
Yep we also have a little porta potty for emergency number ones in the early hours

Compo Rations, baked for a week.....Shovel Recce...……. Aaagh...……..

No more "Countrymans".
Join #Motorhomefun…...
Swamp them?

Last edited:
I think they are only jealous of us being able to go anywhere (in the drive sense) and shudder to think what their loo's must be like!!!! WE too (LOL) have a PortaPotti only for emergency just in case scenarios - you are never that far away from a proper toilet really and in any case being married to a nurse who is a continence advisor for NHS always puts you in your place!!!!!

That forum is probably just full of the blue-rinse brigade that drive down to Benidorm for the winter every year and do the same thing over and over again. Yawn.

It amazes me that all seem to be in their 90's driving those huge things - they also always look so glum. You normally see cheary folk driving VW's - well they always look happy to me and I'm always smiling when I drive Colin who is now up for sale while I'm hunting down my ideal spec used Cali.........tee dum tee dum

i think you're taking it all a bit too seriously here. I've got a great white and a Cali and i'm not 90 or glum. Each to their own.

One problem with the term 'Californias' is that to a 'Great White' any VW van or conversion is seen as a California.

Back