Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The adventure begins 2017 Cali 4M Ocean

KiwiCali

KiwiCali

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi all

We have just picked up a 2017 180PS 4 motion California Ocean. Acapulco Blue and Candy White. We love the retro look, and are very happy with the colours.

Why the California? We started to look at Campervans last year, and that got us thinking as to what we really wanted. We have always enjoyed camping, and we wanted something that we could use as a weekend get away (it's just the two of us) that would be self contained - yet still offer that camping feel - with outdoor awning etc. We see the Ocean as small but perfectly formed - and I like that I can get it in a normal garage, given it would not be an everyday Car. I was drawn to the history/x-factor of the California, which will offer lower depreciation. The fact that it is 4wd is perfect for the variable NZ conditions. I look forward to posting pictures as we explore!

NZ is very popular for touring in a Camper - and whilst there are a imports about I wanted a NZ new model which would come with full local support. I am paying more than an import would be though I will get more for it when I trade etc in the future. For additional piece of mind I negotiated an additional 3 year cover that takes the warranty out to the beginning of 2023 - so hopefully 5 years of happy motoring.

Having years ago toured Europe for 3 months in a 1972 Westfalia Kombi (photo attached!)it's great to be back in a modern version! (Photos attached) I have attached a picture of the Combi we went around Europe in 25 years ago .... plus the new addition!

Ps. Thanks everyone for your awesome input into the forum - it's incredibly helpful to be able to leverage your experiences.

Happy cali/camping.

86927380-72A4-432F-8036-B6DC32BB7636.jpeg 6E918C74-D3AA-4DA6-AA78-0F518ED52D45.jpeg Plus a very old photo from the 90’s ... it was awesome ...
C0117123-DBC7-47C8-90F5-9F31D296E33F.jpeg

Great stuff , that old vs. new picture shows where VW got it spot on with the retro look on the new two-tone Cali's

Welcome... looks forward to hearing about your travels as we're coming to NZ in December to travel around (unfortunately not in a Cali though!):welcome

welcome. New Zealand is great for camper vans I hired a van when on a visit not a cali though.

:welcome
Lovely colours, we have similar but the blue (Starlight) is darker and often looks black. :thumb

:welcome
Lovely colours, we have similar but the blue (Starlight) is darker and often looks black. :thumb
Thanks ... though i have to say My favourite colour would have to be the starlight and white two tone look. Just love that blue. Though I did not realise that in the flesh it can look at lot darker ... towards black.

Ooooo........! KiwiCali, you got me drooling. Your colour scheme is close to all time favourite (that of course VW don't offer - at least not in the UK!). Acapulco Blue and Reflex Silver. :cool::cool:
Blue-Silver.jpeg Blue-Silver2.jpeg

Looks amazing, welcome! Had an idea to take ours in couple years to spend a few months NZ and then sell it there at end as might be cheaper than hiring but maybe that's daft... Anglo Pacific quote about £1500 to transport.

Welcome KiwiCali
I would love to travel around in NZ with a Cali, ten years back we only made it with a mitsu colt - nonetheless it was stunning!
Happy journeys

Welcome KiwiCali.
We’re also enjoying our 2017 Ocean and exploring more of NZ.
We bought a T2 in England in 1978/79 to tour Europe, happy memories!
Good travels.

Welcome KiwiCali.
We’re also enjoying our 2017 Ocean and exploring more of NZ.
We bought a T2 in England in 1978/79 to tour Europe, happy memories!
Good travels.
Great stuff kiwikamper. ... Tell me have you purchased any additional options locally for your Cali at all ? I'm exploring ...seat covers, drive away awning, maybe a cover for the van to store ....

After looking at seat covers options we bought some cheap seat covers for the front seats and have made covers for the rear seats and both mattresses.
We don't plan on any other major purchases at present, but time will tell!

T
After looking at seat covers options we bought some cheap seat covers for the front seats and have made covers for the rear seats and both mattresses.
We don't plan on any other major purchases at present, but time will tell!
Thanks.... where did you get the mattresses done? Not sure where you are based ... as I agree they are a but hard for my liking (and my wife has yet to sleep in the new purchase!) In the UK most seem to go for the mattress topper I think it is called ...

P
T

Thanks.... where did you get the mattresses done? Not sure where you are based ... as I agree they are a but hard for my liking (and my wife has yet to sleep in the new purchase!) In the UK most seem to go for the mattress topper I think it is called ...
Ps. I did speak with a Cali owner in chch who said they put an inflatable (thin one) under the top mattress... so when roof goes up ..it will self inflate a bit plus they justblow it up ... so we could try that ...

We have found the mattresses quite comfortable. The lower bed came with the comfort mattress.
Using a thin self inflating mattress upstairs is a good idea.
Our mattress covers are essentially fitted sheets which we made ourselves. Easily removable for washing.
We are in Wellington.

Looks amazing, welcome! Had an idea to take ours in couple years to spend a few months NZ and then sell it there at end as might be cheaper than hiring but maybe that's daft... Anglo Pacific quote about £1500 to transport.
Hi - well worth exploring bringing a van to NZ. The resale values are pretty good. Check out : https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1537862727 (imported from Scotland) - asking $105K NZ - which is probably $7K or so too high. The challenge is not being 'left' with the van if you can't sell it on return. Or simply ship it here to tour then take it back. Or just buy a new one here for $140K NZ! :) I would have thought hiring a decent van will cost you $350+ NZ per night. Check out Britz, Maui, etc or Juicy at the lower end with small vans. I don't think anyone rents out Cali's!

Hi - well worth exploring bringing a van to NZ. The resale values are pretty good. Check out : https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1537862727 (imported from Scotland) - asking $105K NZ - which is probably $7K or so too high. The challenge is not being 'left' with the van if you can't sell it on return. Or simply ship it here to tour then take it back. Or just buy a new one here for $140K NZ! :) I would have thought hiring a decent van will cost you $350+ NZ per night. Check out Britz, Maui, etc or Juicy at the lower end with small vans. I don't think anyone rents out Cali's!

Thanks Kiwi Cali, that's good info. We would try sell towards the end of the trip (prob 3 months). By then probably be marketed about $75-80k but we weigh up options when there and take back if no buyers. Got a 6 month 2019 RestofUK/Ireland/Euro trip to do (survive?) first :)

Thanks Kiwi Cali, that's good info. We would try sell towards the end of the trip (prob 3 months). By then probably be marketed about $75-80k but we weigh up options when there and take back if no buyers. Got a 6 month 2019 RestofUK/Ireland/Euro trip to do (survive?) first :)
Does NZ have any import or other duties payable if you want to sell your Cali on their market after a trip?

Does NZ have any import or other duties payable if you want to sell your Cali on their market after a trip?

Not sure James, I’ll need to check out for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes there are - you will need to de-register it in the UK (or wherever it comes from) and register it in NZ with the NZTA. There is a cost associated with this as well as a few hoops to jump through. You need to have proof of ownership via your V5 for 6 months prior to it being sent over. There are duites etc. payable but they may have changed.
I had a NZ new Cali there in 2013, at that point there were < 10 in the country most imported. Issues you run into are - Camping Gaz bottles not available so you have to retrofit smallest gas bottle you can find which means it's not gas safe, needs an electrical test, dash needs to have KMh readout as well which you can do in the MFD.

Yes there are - you will need to de-register it in the UK (or wherever it comes from) and register it in NZ with the NZTA. There is a cost associated with this as well as a few hoops to jump through. You need to have proof of ownership via your V5 for 6 months prior to it being sent over. There are duites etc. payable but they may have changed.
I had a NZ new Cali there in 2013, at that point there were < 10 in the country most imported. Issues you run into are - Camping Gaz bottles not available so you have to retrofit smallest gas bottle you can find which means it's not gas safe, needs an electrical test, dash needs to have KMh readout as well which you can do in the MFD.

Thanks NZCol, thought there would be few things to look into

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk