Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The joys of home online learning.

We have weekly ONS Covid tests. The turnaround time for results is about 5 days by post, although possibly faster if positive and by phone. With Jack at home due to close contact with a confirmed Covid+ person it will be interesting to see the result of Saturday’s test.

Keeping a 5 year old at home and separate from the rest of the family is close to impossible. Last night he slept alone in his room while Ben slept on a mattress on the floor in our room. I’ve spent all morning trying to set up the spare bedroom for Ben which has been used as a home office.

Home schooling has been a bit of a non starter today!
Apologies for going slightly off topic.

Are the ONS tests still happening? We haven't heard from them since early December.

Apologies for going slightly off topic.

Are the ONS tests still happening? We haven't heard from them since early December.

Yes - but it seems a bit random sometimes if they’ll come on any given week.

I have wondered if they have a database of volunteers and randomly select some households each week. I love the 4 x £25 of vouchers we get each time they come. We opt for Sainsbury’s and it more or less covers basics for a week.

I have wondered if they have a database of volunteers and randomly select some households each week.
Thanks. Since posting I've called them. Seems like a lack of testers is most likely cause. Interesting to find out that along with the introduction of result letters for swab tests we should also now get blood test result letters too.

Will wait and see when the next tester appears.

So Jack returned to school today :)

BUT last night at about 6.30pm we had an email from school. A child in Ben’s bubble has tested positive, so Ben’s at home until 10 days after last contact with that child.

It’s a nightmare!

Just had a look a the availability of lap tops online. They would be for our three nearest grandkids to do their distance learning on, (the others already have them). There's nothing available anywhere!

They are currently using their parent's mobiles and the odd tablet. Unfortunately, they have a history of being quite heavy on techy stuff. I have a few of their old tablets which I have from time to time, cannibalised for parts making several good ones out of their write offs.

Given that every child is in the same situation, it has come as no surprise that there are no laptops available.

Last edited:
Just had a look a the availability of lap tops in the shops. They would be for our three nearest grandkids to do their distance learning on. There's nothing available anywhere!

They are currently using their parent's mobiles and the odd tablet. Unfortunately, they have a history of being quite heavy this techy stuff. I have a few of their old ones which I have cannibalised for parts making several good ones out of the others that they've managed to write off.

Given that every child is in the same situation, it has come as no surprise that there are none available.
Lots of new & refurbished Chromebooks on EBay at reasonable prices.

Lots of new & refurbished Chromebooks on EBay at reasonable prices.
That's interesting. However, the trouble is that their parents have vetoed Chrome book. Not being a computery type, I know not why.

That's interesting. However, the trouble is that their parents have vetoed Chrome book. Not being a computery type, I know not why.
Why? Both our kids' home learning is set on Google Classroom. I am no IT guru but you don't need an expensive Windows laptop, Chromebooks are a fraction of the price. We have had our Chromebook for 6 years, works as well now as it did then.

Basic Chromebook in stock at Currys £239.

Last edited:
Chromebooks can be a great choice, especially in the primary/ year 7-9 age groups. Particularly good if school is using Google Classroom as it's all integrated. Anything web based works on a CB and the security etc is all built in. Wifi, Bluetooth all set up.

Only downside is no traditional software can be loaded, only apps etc. Most self respecting schools wont have much if any of that these days.

Price/performance wise you can't go too far wrong with a CB, maybe better to add a mouse though.

I've bought or used a couple of hundred of them in school settings, no qualms at all, very resilient. They even bounce relatively well, though don't try that at home.

Tablets should be avoided if possible, the kids can't keep up/ do as much as those on notebooks/ desktops.

Things get worse!

Jack was sent home today with flushed cheeks.

I booked us all in for a test at the O2 testing centre and 30 minutes later we were all swabbed (including Clare who had the Pfizer vaccine 3 weeks ago). A very efficient system but the car park appeared to be very over staffed.

Results in 24-48 hours.

Both boys at home all day tomorrow.

Things get worse!

I booked us all in for a test at the O2 testing centre and 30 minutes later we were all swabbed. A very efficient system but the car park appeared to be very over staffed.

Results in 24-48 hours.

Fingers crossed you all test negative. Take care.

Chromebooks can be a great choice, especially in the primary/ year 7-9 age groups. Particularly good if school is using Google Classroom as it's all integrated. Anything web based works on a CB and the security etc is all built in. Wifi, Bluetooth all set up.

Only downside is no traditional software can be loaded, only apps etc. Most self respecting schools wont have much if any of that these days.

Price/performance wise you can't go too far wrong with a CB, maybe better to add a mouse though.

I've bought or used a couple of hundred of them in school settings, no qualms at all, very resilient. They even bounce relatively well, though don't try that at home.

Tablets should be avoided if possible, the kids can't keep up/ do as much as those on notebooks/ desktops.
I would likely give a Raspberry Pi 400 a look, were I still in the position of having children at home and was seeking for a low-cost solution for remote learning.

£93 plus the cost of a monitor; supports browsing, and with system level LibreOffice, can open pretty much every MS file format thrown at it. Not as polished as my Mac, or probably a Windows 10 device, but will do the job.

I would likely give a Raspberry Pi 400 a look, were I still in the position of having children at home and was seeking for a low-cost solution for remote learning.

£93 plus the cost of a monitor; supports browsing, and with system level LibreOffice, can open pretty much every MS file format thrown at it. Not as polished as my Mac, or probably a Windows 10 device, but will do the job.
I like your thinking, I've got a Pi400 and despite good intentions still find the ease of a maxed memory 5 year old laptop and second monitor the go to machine. One thing to be said for the Raspberry Pi, you keep on buying new ones even though you never really used the old ones enough.

Why? Both our kids' home learning is set on Google Classroom. I am no IT guru but you don't need an expensive Windows laptop, Chromebooks are a fraction of the price. We have had our Chromebook for 6 years, works as well now as it did then.

Basic Chromebook in stock at Currys £239.

Well as I've said, their parents are against Chrome book. I don't know why and tbh I'm not really that bothered. As they are both fully occupied working from home, my role is simply to find something available at present that fulfills their criteria, get their approval, contribute towards the costs involved and collect if clicking is possible. All rather academic at present since there's nothing to be had anywhere.

Last edited:
I like your thinking, I've got a Pi400 and despite good intentions still find the ease of a maxed memory 5 year old laptop and second monitor the go to machine. One thing to be said for the Raspberry Pi, you keep on buying new ones even though you never really used the old ones enough.

I’ve been spoiled; apart from an Atari ST, since 1990 my home computers have been Macs.
But there’s a Pi 400 on my shopping list, as I’m interested to see how I would manage with a ‘no frills’ PC.

Well as I've said, their parents are against Chrome book. I don't know why and tbh I'm not really that bothered. As they are both fully occupied working from home, my role is simply to find something available at present that fulfills their criteria, get their approval, contubute towards the costs involved and collect if clicking is possible. All rather academic at present since there's nothing to be had anywhere.

Without knowing your budget, you may wish to consider a refurbished Apple Mac’. Subject to availability, they are generally next day delivery.

They have the same warranty as a new Apple device, and the condition is indistinguishable from new.

Well as I've said, their parents are against Chrome book. I don't know why and tbh I'm not really that bothered. As they are both fully occupied working from home, my role is simply to find something available at present that fulfills their criteria, get their approval, contubute towards the costs involved and collect if clicking is possible. All rather academic at present since there's nothing to be had anywhere.
This is another angle. But maybe only one to avoid, just in case you see it and are tempted.

Essentially a cut down spec laptop, runs windows, usually has a lightweight version of windows (s) to help performance, though it can be switched to full windows in settings ( a one way only change). In S mode you cannot add normal programs unless they are in the windows app store( word etc)

I've 2 variants. Not sure I'd recommend them though. Our Lenovo one running full windows is as sluggish as a T1 going uphill fully loaded.

Cheap and cheerful, available but I'd spend similar money on a larger screened chromebook if I was buying for kids.

The budget is flexible. We are thinking of somewhere around the £400 mark. It's the kids education at stake so I don't mind bumping up the budget if needs be. The problem is that all three will have to be the same otherwise there may be trouble ahead. That leads on to the second issue. The eldest should be starting secondary education in September so any laptop needs to be suitable for more than just primary education. But as I have said there aren't any available so the kids will have to continue with their parents mobiles etc for the time being.

Just had a look a the availability of lap tops online. They would be for our three nearest grandkids to do their distance learning on, (the others already have them). There's nothing available anywhere!

They are currently using their parent's mobiles and the odd tablet. Unfortunately, they have a history of being quite heavy on techy stuff. I have a few of their old tablets which I have from time to time, cannibalised for parts making several good ones out of their write offs.

Given that every child is in the same situation, it has come as no surprise that there are no laptops available.
We were struggling to get teams working and sorting out the online work on Stanley’s iPad so I bit the bullet and bought a windows surface go 2 with an upgraded sort of processor chip (don’t ask I’m technically illiterate). Took 2 weeks to arrive and two days before arrival the printer made a funny noise and didn’t want to play anymore. That was fun finding a new one of those.

So in summary £800 lighter in my pocket but on the positive Mrs gas is less stressed, school work is a lot less stressful and there’s more calm around the kitchen table as the new printer whirs assignments down for a 6 year old to show both mum and dad that he’s better at maths then them

[mention]Borris [/mention] maybe there are some members with more than one device to lend/share close to your grandchild?

Things get worse!

I booked us all in for a test at the O2 testing centre and 30 minutes later we were all swabbed (including Clare who had the Pfizer vaccine 3 weeks ago). A very efficient system but the car park appeared to be very over staffed.

Results in 24-48 hours.

Better news this morning.

Test at 4pm
Negative result at 8am

Jack goes to school.

Yippee!

Back