Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The more i read the less I like..'there must be somewhere out of here..'

S

simonrichards

Guest User
Hi VWCC folk

As my long held desire for a California approaches financial viability I guess I am reading more specific information on this fab website. What I am finding is that I am beginning to think that an expensive, fault prone purchase from an uncaring, and questionably dishonest, multi national company is not such a good idea. While I do read positive stuff also I am aware that this is all from people who have made the decision and bought one....................the sand shifts beneath me.

It has faults, VW are a unquestionably heinous bunch of ***** but if you want the best compromise all round camping van then there is no better option.

And as always on forums people always post more about faults than the fact it is working fine today.

The roof situation is unforgivable and mind blowingly badly (not)dealt with by VW but for the moment we have to live with it and take the positives - of which there are many. :)

And always remember short of a supercar nothing has residuals like these damned things and if you find it is not for you then it will be for someone else very quickly who will frequently pay the same you did or even hand you a small profit.

The California is a hugely popular vehicle as evidenced by the waiting lists. Given the multiplicity of choice out there it must be hugely popular because it works.

It has certainly worked for me and each time I have investigated the market with a view to replacing it then all my analysis ends up pointing to the California again.

A forum as specific as this one is always going to attract those who have problems and those who want to let off steam so naturally there is going to be a large amount of criticism to be found. The dealer network is a disgrace and VWCS is a disgrace. However I have only needed to contact customer service over one issue, now resolved, and the dealer I take my vehicle in to does not have to make any decisions as to what needs doing as it is all routine carried out with care (SMG Cowfold).

At the end of the day there is a lot of choice out there, even more with the arrival of the Marco Polo, so each has an individual choice to make.

Oh, and talking of dealers, I am still waiting for two Mercedes dealers to come back as promised with details of the MP. I've only been waiting 18 months, and a reminder to both given in the last 12 weeks.

Erm, yes, probably to the company stuff & a maybe to the faults, but that's individual to each vehicle & its maintenance, luck, etc.

Ignoring all that, what is the alternative?

I have the base van, bloody lovely to drive. Well pleased. Looking forward to the conversion. I'd pick my dealer carefully but I'd buy a California if it suited my needs, no problem.

As with virtually ALL motor forums, people with problems tend to gravitate to them.

If you just concentrate on the Problems, besides the Roof Corrosion which is cosmetic not structural but still shouldn't happen, the California is no worse than any comparable vehicle and better than some.
Have you checked out the Motorhome Forums and Commercial vehicle Forums?
Also, there are many problems, self inflicted, from not reading the Handbook, poor I admit, for what is a fairly complicated vehicle.

If you want perfect then the California is not for you. Unfortunately there is nothing else comparable to the California with a better record.
Everything can be fixed, that's why there is a 3 year warranty.
Buy one. Use it. Don't let it stand idle for 9 months each year and the adventures and memories out weigh any little niggles.

Oh, and there are good Dealerships out there who understand what you hope to buy into. They're not All plonkers.:thumb :welcome

As Jen says the Marco Polo arrives officially in the UK in the coming months as a direct rival - short of that then there are no end of small convertors who will build on a VW, Merc, Renault, Ford etc. But if you are new to Cali's then compare and you shall see!

You really have to see them in person - but a video like this below gives an idea of how other convertors approach the VW - to be honest none of them IMHO hold a candle to the Cali in terms of design, integration, cleverness etc. But do remember most of that is down to Westfalia of which the (VW) Cali is total plagiarism even if VW refined it in areas. :

I am on my second California, Having driven around most of mainland coast of UK in the 1st and happy to replace this in 2016 after some great trips and 63k miles since 2012 with our second. A campervan worked for us as a daily drive. Yes had a few faults but most sorted on warranty and even better now you can get a 5 year warranty if buying new.
The trouble with forums people seem keen to post issues esp out of season rather that the great trips. There are people who break things by not following user guides then blame the van.(roof bellows was an issue ever week on the forum when we 1st had our van and normally user error)
I am sure this is the same with most "car" forums. As WG says above find a good dealer you trust as they are out there.
You could try a Hire van to see if it is for you.

As grannyjen and welshgas have said forums tend to be places where people with problems end up, all merily discussing there issues together. Note from this forum how many threads there about about issues compared to how much there is in the Travel section which is what the Cali is designed for and in my opinion should be the busiest section of the forum.

I have had my Cali for 18 months now, I've had a few minor issues all dealt with under warranty by the dealer and I will be buying another in the next year or so. I can give it no higher vote of confidence.

Hi VWCC folk

As my long held desire for a California approaches financial viability I guess I am reading more specific information on this fab website. What I am finding is that I am beginning to think that an expensive, fault prone purchase from an uncaring, and questionably dishonest, multi national company is not such a good idea. While I do read positive stuff also I am aware that this is all from people who have made the decision and bought one....................the sand shifts beneath me.

If you start with that in mind you better look elsewhere.
In the end 99% of us here is more than happy with thiere VW California and not want anything else.
The grass is always greener on the other side but still my grass is better....;)

Ps , by saying look elsewhere i mean look for other than a Cali...don't get me wrong it is not that you are not welcome...Welcome , as i say to every new member:thumb

Last edited:
It would probably be the same on any motor related forum.

Yes the California has it's problems but so will what ever else you buy in the same market sector. Camper vans and motor homes are complicated items that can go wrong. At least you only have to deal with VW instead of the base vehicle manufacturer and the bods who did the conversion. Personally I would be surprised if the Cali is any more problematic than other similar vehicles.

The roof issue is an avoidable problem, just that VW in their wisdom seem reluctant to admit their mistake. It is cosmetic but does not weaken the vehicle. This is my 5th Transporter based camper and the best. No one Mercedes included make a better van IMHO. Certainly no one does a better rust prevention on the base vehicle.
As Hotel California says if you have this amount of misgivings maybe not your cup of tea.
Many complain and some may sound rather harsh but the vast majority with few exceptions are happy with their vehicle. Remember no manufacturer makes a vehicle which is fault free.

If i could only afford 1 vehicle. It would be the California. Just because it does so much more than anything else on the road.
Ive had mine over 4 years now and barring roof corrosion its been brilliant.

Would i buy another...???
At the moment no, because of the roof corrosion issue. Volkswagen need to sort this on the next generation as they haven't on the current T6.

However, i would go down the route of buying a new van and having someone convert it to a very high standard. But not just anyone. There are lots of converters out there, but i would only use one (new wave) having seen one of their vehicles recently. Their workmanship is exceptional, but it will cost the same as Volkswagens offering if you go the full monty.

The advantage of the California is its very well thought out and a perfect introduction for someone new into the camper-van world. The big question if you decide to purchase one is Ocean (full fat) or Beach (semi skimmed)
:thumb

Before I ordered my California beach I read the forum and come to the same conclusion you did. Anyway I ordered it and have now owned it since January this year. It has openened up a whole new way of life for me and my wife, we go and stay in parts of the country we never went to before. Easter off to Hay on Wye then to the Gower peninsular, finishing off in the Brecon Becons. Travelling in comfort and then when you get there you are camping in minutes. I wish I had bought one years ago but like most people you have to get to a certain age before you are in a position to afford one. I know along the way things will go wrong with it, but every car I have owned went wrong at some point. I have come to the conclusion that the next vehicle I own in years to come will be a VW
California ocean when it is time to replace the beach. Do your research get the vehicle that suits your lifestyle. In my opinion the VW California is an amazing vehicle.:thumb

I haven't got one yet. Before I ordered mine I read extensively the posts on this forum. I deliberated about increasingly unpopular diesel, corroding roofs, poor dealer support, absurd waiting list and cripplingly high price. Then I ordered mine. Because I could spend the rest of my life looking for something better and by the time I found it, it would be too late.

"Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for a might have been." Commander Ted Walker, RN.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

My Cali is the most amazing vehicle on the planet :) There really is no other single vehicle I would rather have.
Ditto. We've had ours 5 months now and are absolutely in love with it and the lifestyle it affords us. There's virtually nowhere you can't go as it's much the same size as a large family car, and the possibilities for days, weeks and months of camping are endless. If you worry about everything, you'll never do anything. If you buy a new or nearly new one, it'll come with all the warranties, so why worry? Life is for living.

We're just back from a day at the beach. Before buying our van we would never have even considered going to the beach in April!

I know - we're the same. Life was getting a bit dull. Our son is doing A levels and will soon leave us. We live in Cambridgeshire which isn't particularly pretty or well served with interesting places to visit, but we just head out to the countryside for a walk, end up in places we never would have gone, brew up and have a chunk of lovely homemade cake or a cheeky beer .... It has brought my husband and I back to an amiable closeness we haven't had for years as work and school stuff have been prioritized of late. We are just loving our newfound togetherness and instead of feeling sad that our family will be apart we are looking forward to freedom and fun adventures.

A lot has been said already and I make no apology for any repeats that maybe here.
  • Ignore the roof issue until you have to deal with it (you could choose not to deal with it by the way as its not anything structural and will not stop the Cali functioning as a campervan, you may not even have to deal with it)
  • You could take extended warranty as an option.
  • You have a dream which you can live and have been waiting for some years.
  • Don't make the dream unachievable by soaking up all the negatives.
  • I was where you are now in the middle of last year.
  • I was quite vocal and nearly cancelled my order but stayed with it.
  • Do I regret it?
  • Not for a second.

When I wash our first California, a week after getting her, (she was a year old) only to find she had roof corrosion I was gobsmacked. Since then I've posted more than my fair share of negative comments with regard to California roofs and other aspects of dealing with VW. They need kicking up the a----, and the forum does a good job at that. Has it put me off California ownership, well I've just taken delivery of our third California, enough said!

We traveled with our kids in a VW when they were young and wild camped.

They've now got a T4 California Freestyle and are repeating the journeys down the west coast of France to Spain that they had with us many years ago, and if you see a silver T4 Freestyle at West Wittering their local beach it could well be them.

As retirees we are living the dream again, and it's not disappointing us.

GO FOR IT!

The only issue I've had with my beach so far has been blinds that didnt return fixed under warranty. Like any online forum you will see a concentration of the negatives but you won't see the majority of users having no issues.

I'm going to say pretty much the same as most posters but I guess I am one of the 'guilty' who has posted hear about a fair few problems!!

On a few occasions I have even thought that I just want to hand the keys back and be shot of VW and their dealers...................................................................

....................................................for all of about 30 seconds. I cannot conceive of not having the Cali.

So I just put my stubborn head on and get stuck into resolving the issues. I am known for not taking no for an answer and there it is nothing worse than I deal with at work every day. Just a bit more emotional because it is my money!

I would take the same purchasing decision again. Just check EVERYTHING and then check it again. Make sure you are satisfied that all the paperwork is correct and that the dealer has ordered the correct vehicle from VW.

The first time you turn the keys in the ignition you will be in heaven o_O

As Jen says the Marco Polo arrives officially in the UK in the coming months as a direct rival - short of that then there are no end of small convertors who will build on a VW, Merc, Renault, Ford etc. But if you are new to Cali's then compare and you shall see!

You really have to see them in person - but a video like this below gives an idea of how other convertors approach the VW - to be honest none of them IMHO hold a candle to the Cali in terms of design, integration, cleverness etc. But do remember most of that is down to Westfalia of which the (VW) Cali is total plagiarism even if VW refined it in areas. :

Interesting video but disappointed that he did not include the VW California or actually give any prices of those shown.

Hi VWCC folk

If you want one get one I have a 2015 exdemo purchased at my local VW agent Hahn Auto Essingen Germany bloody amazing faultless I just dont understand this forum sometimes So a Marco Polo !!!!!! Noooo !!!! Cali's have carisama all I can say happy days ⛺

Back