Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The New Outwell Drive Away Awning - or is it?

W1lly

W1lly

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Took my new Outwell Pace drive away awning up to the peaks for a trial run on Saturday - I must admit it was very easy to put up on my own I thought the pump was letting the air out it was that easy and the best bit is, it doesn't actually attach to the van! you heard that correct - a drive away that doesn't actually attach! Brilliant! If you take a look at the side nearest the van the canopy comes lower to give you shelter as you get out of the sliding door. I just pitched up and then drove the van out and reversed it in right up against the awning - so much less hassle than the kador! BTW there was bloody moles everywhere!

upload_2018-2-26_19-16-36.jpeg

upload_2018-2-26_19-17-12.jpeg

upload_2018-2-26_19-17-49.jpeg

Looks fantastic. Club shop purchase? I’m in the market for an awning over the next few weeks so write ups like this are great.
Does it have sewn in groundsheet?

I've looked at this awning in the bigger format. If it's the same, it's basic design is a tent and the tunnel attached to the outer tent. It can be swapped to left or right handed. Not sure if yours is the same, but that's a nice feature. I liked the overall construction of the awning, but did find it a little dark inside. Overall I thought it was a great contender.

Yeah Castle Outdoors is an offshoot of the club shop - but wider ranging by the looks of it - sewn in groundsheet with optional footprint carpet and bedroom. Can be used on any side of the van as it doesn't attach but the lower side does go near the van as its a better height. Better to buy through the club shop as you get your 5% discount :thumb I didn't find it too dark to be honest - but there's curtains / blinds all round. Nice little awning 17kgs so a bit lighter than most alternatives and the hand pump is superior to other I've used by a long way!. The ease of putting it up and getting lined up to it sold it for me :thumb

To be fair the shop I looked at it in might of made it dark inside.

Yeah Castle Outdoors is an offshoot of the club shop - but wider ranging by the looks of it - sewn in groundsheet with optional footprint carpet and bedroom. Can be used on any side of the van as it doesn't attach but the lower side does go near the van as its a better height. Better to buy through the club shop as you get your 5% discount :thumb I didn't find it too dark to be honest - but there's curtains / blinds all round. Nice little awning 17kgs so a bit lighter than most alternatives and the hand pump is superior to other I've used by a long way!. The ease of putting it up and getting lined up to it sold it for me :thumb

And it was the right colour scheme for me :talktothehand

Love the look of that and like the idea of no kador kit, dare I ask how much

W1lly
Very interesting review - thanks. I had researched the drive away market for a couple of months. More or less settling on the Outwell millstone, we did want the attachment feature - so apart from this much the same as the Pace.

Your views of ease of putting up, not being too dark and superior pump is reassuring.

Ordered at the NEC show, so just waiting for delivery - the only place we could see all the other options/makes at the same time, to make final decision

Took my new Outwell Pace drive away awning up to the peaks for a trial run on Saturday - I must admit it was very easy to put up on my own I thought the pump was letting the air out it was that easy and the best bit is, it doesn't actually attach to the van! you heard that correct - a drive away that doesn't actually attach! Brilliant! If you take a look at the side nearest the van the canopy comes lower to give you shelter as you get out of the sliding door. I just pitched up and then drove the van out and reversed it in right up against the awning - so much less hassle than the kador! BTW there was bloody moles everywhere!

View attachment 30463

View attachment 30464

View attachment 30465
Hi W1lly, sorry to resurrect an old post but I wondered whether you still have this awning? We are thinking of getting one and wondered what your thoughts were on it longer term? We love the idea of not having to attach to the van but still having all the benefits of it being so close to it... Thanks in advance

Hi W1lly, sorry to resurrect an old post but I wondered whether you still have this awning? We are thinking of getting one and wondered what your thoughts were on it longer term? We love the idea of not having to attach to the van but still having all the benefits of it being so close to it... Thanks in advance
I'd be Intetested to hear this too please

I've got the poled version of this but I've never actually used it. Now I have a van again, we'll try to get it out and will post.

Back