Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The new T7 California revealed

Looks like a Sharan! Wonder if the roof will still corrode?!
Lots of tech and more car like to drive, no doubt. It’s the powerplants which will be the most interesting developments with the general trend away from diesel.

Looks like a Sharan! Wonder if the roof will still corrode?!
Lots of tech and more car like to drive, no doubt. It’s the powerplants which will be the most interesting developments with the general trend away from diesel.

I had to laugh at the mock up having the sliding door and awning on the left....

This is pretty lazy click-bate! As you said, awning on the wrong side, using T6 images and video for the 'latest' California, not even bothering to do any Photoshop on the internal fittings from the outside, no references to existing hybrid campers and how they use the batteries. Probably took an afternoon to throw that together. Still, it worked, I watched it! :D

Last edited:
I saw this and initially got excited.....quickly realised my mistake.... :-(

Wonder what the price tag will end up being.

460E3BF1-95B4-4FEF-B2D4-F98F97906EA6.jpeg

A858162F-A9DF-494E-9B21-377510DBAE21.jpeg

349FD62C-E5BB-4C29-8C5D-3C952DADB3FA.jpeg

I think I have got it! VW are going to put the door on the left for left hand drive Calis so that our continental friends can enjoy the Great British experience of having a vehicle built the wrong way round! Why should the Brits have all the fun! ;)

So it is less campervan and more campermpv ?
It will no longer have "van" underpinnings but rather a stretched car/golf. What will be interesting is how it translates in practice.

From VW the transporter range of commercial vehicles will continue with some cooperation with Ford. The multivan is an mpv and my take is it will not be capable of a full blown camper and people carrier on basis of weight alone. I think it will be a cracking mpv though.

What I can't understand is why they use promo pictures with a van with a huge dent down the side. It needs pulling and filling - T-Cut wouldn't be much use. ;)

When I bought my van as one of the first T6’s I smiled at the comments from older model van drivers…I am now that older model van driver and I’m still smiling at the comments relating to a potential newer model.

VW will continue to innovate slowly. Nothing is perfect. There are only so many opportunities to make memories in a lifetime. Owning a VW camper provides you with a tool to make the most of the opportunities we have.

There will never be the perfect camper.

I will however be on my deathbed one day thinking about the perfect moments made with my family in my camper.

I can't see any reason why this platform could not support a camper.

I quite like the sound of the interior being slightly longer and more spacious.

New materials and technology will be exciting to see.

I'd like a plug in hybrid with a big battery.

The video did make me wonder if an aftermarket conversion company could actually made a T7 camper before the VW factory do.

Surely that would make VW's marketing team get their skates on and push out the new California press release PDQ?

I quite like the sound of the interior being slightly longer and more spacious.

New materials and technology will be exciting to see.

I'd like a plug in hybrid with a big battery.

The video did make me wonder if an aftermarket conversion company could actually made a T7 camper before the VW factory do.

Surely that would make VW's marketing team get their skates on and push out the new California press release PDQ?
I am not too sure about a plug in hybrid with a big battery at the price hinted at... but of course he was only guessing.

I am not too sure about a plug in hybrid with a big battery at the price hinted at... but of course he was only guessing.
It'll be a big number I'm sure.

I had a Golf GTE a few years ago and that was brilliant. It had a small 1.4 petrol engine and an electric motor with a combined output of 204ps.

Something like that would be fantastic.

I guess the weight might be an issue.
The new Multivan is based on the MQB platform, the same as the Golf (any many others) and the platform wasn't initially designed voor 3500kg GW.

I guess the weight might be an issue.
The new Multivan is based on the MQB platform, the same as the Golf (any many others) and the platform wasn't initially designed voor 3500kg GW.
I'm sure they'll come up with a solution.

Composite materials have moved on a long way.

Carbon fibre composites weigh about a fifth of steel, but are as good or better in terms of stiffness and strength. They also do not rust or corrode like steel or aluminium, and they could significantly increase vehicle efficiency.

The elevating roof is a prime candidate for this. I'd suggest the kitchen unit would be too.

I'm sure they'll come up with a solution.

Composite materials have moved on a long way.

Carbon fibre composites weigh about a fifth of steel, but are as good or better in terms of stiffness and strength. They also do not rust or corrode like steel or aluminium, and they could significantly increase vehicle efficiency.

The elevating roof is a prime candidate for this. I'd suggest the kitchen unit would be too.
Not sure if this can offset the extra weight of the batteries. I suspect we'll see a Beach offering in the hybrid and the full camper version when the diesel T7 comes out in 2 years.

Not sure if this can offset the extra weight of the batteries. I suspect we'll see a Beach offering in the hybrid and the full camper version when the diesel T7 comes out in 2 years.
Why? The only way they could do that, if weight is an issue, is limit the passenger capacity of the Beach so no more removable seats. That would go down well.

Have VW actually stated that they are going to make a T7 California? Or is this video purely speculation?

If VW were actually making an announcement of this kind I'm sure that they wouldn't come up with something so half baked.

Last edited:
Back