Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The steepest road your California has managed to go UP.

T

TripleBee

Vehicle
N/A
Just wondering, as I always try to take some low traffic, nice roads to explore some places when on holidays, what would be the steepest road you have ever driven on in your California? Upwards that is.
Post a link to it, and maybe even the percentage, if you know it?

I'll start with my known steepest:
17% upwards to have a look at the Orgues in Bort-les-Orgues, France.
bort les orgues.png

My 140 hp, front wheel drive managed to cope, but I just let the engine work in 2nd gear. No pushing, no forcing. Just take a speed, and keep it without accelerating.

Not (really) worth the visit :confused:. Nothing spectacular up there. You have a better view of it from downstairs when the sun hits the basalt rocks.

Our van has not left our shores but Porlock Hill Somerset fairly steep. Tame to some.

Our van has not left our shores but Porlock Hill Somerset fairly steep. Tame to some.
My 130 Cali with my quad on its trailer is flat to the floor in 2nd gear and the revs won’t go above 2500 RPM that’s some hill fully loaded, and then there’s the little staggered junction, that if you have to stop, you virtually struggle to pull off, That’s coming from lynmouth direction.160D473E-FE1F-477B-9164-29F9115204B4.png

I guess also Hardknott at over 30% on some parts. Also in the wet, but our 4Motion had no issues, we would do it again without hesitation.
We think we may have done some steeper pistes still, e.g. this summer in the Pyrenees, but they had no signs on their % ... :)

Hardnknott in ours 2wd fully loaded in the wet, no issues ascending. Not so happy descending with the engine not really providing enough braking for my liking & having to use the brakes as well.

[...] Not so happy descending [...]
Indeed, descending is nearly always more nerve breaking than climbing. Still, in 1st gear with traction control and a bit of breaking, we always were able to come down nicely, wherever. Slowly, at times, yes, but still comfortably. Always, we were taught: "as slow as you can, only as fast as you need to", then you can basically come anywhere, up or down!

Not quite the steepest road ...

but towing a caravan :shocked :D

Last year, travelling to see Mum, I thought I would take a promising shortcut over the pennines from the M62.

It was snowing, there were tons of ice in the verges, some signs were obscured with snow but I was confident of my legendary, almost mystic, powers of navigation. Jo, my sister in the passenger seat, was concerned about her caravan as the road got narrower and steeper .... and higher so the snow got deeper ....... she had no doubt about my legendary powers of navigation ---- they did not exist!!:shocked

No where to turn round, the road now at least 20% if not more, the snow now quite deep, the width was almost both mirrors touching, only way was onwards and upwards and have faith in the vehicle.

Finally the road started to go down again.... at the bottom looking behind I saw the signs .... "Steep and narrow road, .... no passing places..... not suitable for over 6' wide.....".... oh well, Stick to the M62 next time:sad

Bristol has some pretty step streets, can’t remember the name but ther is a really steep one with a switch back halfway up, I would not like to meet anyone coming the other way, agree with the road into / out of Lynton

Ah yes, you’ve reminded me that I need to go and find this street. I’m only a few miles away, so will go and explore and report back.

Ah yes, you’ve reminded me that I need to go and find this street. I’m only a few miles away, so will go and explore and report back.
Hi BT, the one I refer to is not a street with houses on it it is a narrow road leading from one of the roads that run parallel to the river Severn, with views over to wales, Probably in the same area as the one you highlight.

Stelvio Pass from Italy into Switzerland is quite hairy in places - as we were RHD my mate had to lean out of the nearside window to look 'back and to the left' up the hill to make sure there were no bikes etc coming down.

They seem to run a pretty good public bus service on it though. Off again in two weeks time, can't wait.

IMG_0904.jpg

Closer to home, Rosedale Chimney is the steepest we have in North Yorkshire & a bit narrower too - 30% in places:

Stelvio Pass from Italy into Switzerland is quite hairy in places - as we were RHD my mate had to lean out of the nearside window to look 'back and to the left' up the hill to make sure there were no bikes etc coming down.
Doesn't matter if the van is LHD or RHD. The other hand corners I need my passenger to look right uphill for oncoming traffic. If none, I can take the outside of the bend, making it less steep to get up there.

Steepest I think is prospect place near Bath - 25% at its steepest according to Strava.

Most worrying though is foxhole lane in Gorran Haven (my avatar picture) 21% at it's steepest according to strava but so narrow the cali only just fits and when turning in at the top it's like going off a cliff.

1569087638012.png

The longest, quite steep road ever done, apart from the Mont Ventoux up and down, is the Route Napoléon (N85).
From Grenoble to Gap, the first 6 kilometers is a straight 12% up to Laffrey. That one I do take in 4th gear, 70 km/h, cruise control on. When no traffic, just cut the corners on the triple lane (2 up, 1 down).
Then you are on top of the plateau.
Then you have to get down again from La Mure to Gap.
The first time I took that road, I stayed the night in Gap on camping Alpes Dauphiné (not the greatest).
After an hour I passed my van, and still felt the heat from my brakes. When I looked at my front brake pads, I saw peelings of the brake pad curled up on the edges. That time I regret I didn't tick the box on the option: engine brake. :happy

Hardknott at 33%. In the wet. Never again
Hardnott Pass 1-in-3!
I tried that in a1300 Vauxhall Chevette many years ago. I was going up and some plonker coming down didn't afford me precedence, so I had to dive into a passing place. Much rear wheel spinning required to get going again!
Went down in my manual Caravelle, not really an issue.
Well done for trying to go up in a Cali!

Hardnott Pass 1-in-3!
I tried that in a1300 Vauxhall Chevette many years ago. I was going up and some plonker coming down didn't afford me precedence, so I had to dive into a passing place. Much rear wheel spinning required to get going again!
Went down in my manual Caravelle, not really an issue.
Well done for trying to go up in a Cali!
I had the same. I ended up having to control reverse and then try to get going again. I've stayed at Eskdale quite a few times and only once i went back home over the pass. Birker pass is only 25% . Been over it numerous times in other vehicles.

They seem to run a pretty good public bus service on it though. Off again in two weeks time, can't wait.

View attachment 50651

Closer to home, Rosedale Chimney is the steepest we have in North Yorkshire & a bit narrower too - 30% in places:

Stelvio. Loved it.

F32F84A7-9F9A-4021-9D80-B135CF8D78EA.jpeg

7BD7B9C5-ED78-4089-B29A-5C8AA13BDACA.jpeg

My old van really stuggled with Porlock hill couldnt even get around the first corner in 1st gear lol.

Cali is only 114 but was fine but obviously had to use a low gear.

The Road to Lyseboten. Ferry wasn't running so Down and then back Up the following day.

969B3322-2A89-4683-BC90-E8AE14D3FA41.jpeg

97ABB8BE-ADE8-47C9-8D83-0E0F8D81139D.jpeg

Hard Knott Pass in a lwb Merc vito we had as a courtesy car. That got us started on the idea of getting a van, 2 years later and we're picking up our beach on Wednesday. A trip back to Eskdale is on the list