Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thornhill Park & Ride, Oxford

G&Ts

G&Ts

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi, has anyone stayed overnight at Thornhill Park & Ride in Oxford? There are a couple of reviews on the park4night app saying it's possible to stay overnight, but I'd have thought there would be more reviews if it's a viable option and it's not listed on searchforsites. It has a 2.1m height barrier so I appreciate it's not suitable for everyone.

It's in a very convenient spot as we'll be visiting friends in Headington, which is on the P&R bus route, so any thoughts would be appreciated :)

Hi, has anyone stayed overnight at Thornhill Park & Ride in Oxford? There are a couple of reviews on the park4night app saying it's possible to stay overnight, but I'd have thought there would be more reviews if it's a viable option and it's not listed on searchforsites. It has a 2.1m height barrier so I appreciate it's not suitable for everyone.

It's in a very convenient spot as we'll be visiting friends in Headington, which is on the P&R bus route, so any thoughts would be appreciated :)
There’s a campsite 10 mins round the ring road from there at Kennington park and ride.

Nothing which says that you cannot. It is 24 hours open ... so I would. Not done it as I can drive home from there :D

1673558535900.png

Spend the 20 quid and stay at a nearby site? Got to be safer than joining the "wild camp" car park warriors at a park n ride...

Nothing which says that you cannot. It is 24 hours open ... so I would. Not done it as I can drive home from there :D

View attachment 103995
How kind of you to go and take a picture for the op @kurienp

Unless of course you’re one of those that just collects random pictures of signs all across the country for such occasions, then ewww weird! ;)

Its not as close as the campsite in Oxford but there's a good site in Crowmarsh Gifford just down the road too:
https://bridgevilla.co.uk/campsite/
Used it once really late at night - access ok for Cali under first height barrier and they have a couple of pitches between first and second barrier. All with hook up available.

I would say stay at the campsite at Kennington and there's a park and ride good bus route around the corner..its also next to go outdoors if you need any camping supplies :)

I live in Botley, West Oxford also on a bus route into the city..have bustop outside my house. If you were staying with friends or somewhere else and wanted to leave your cali safe whilst doing your other discovering the area Im quite happy for you to leave it on my drive, off road and safe....after all what is the cali network for if you cant help :)

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. @kurienp thanks for the photo - it's handy to know the sign doesn't say you can't sleep overnight as I had wondered about this ;) - and @OxonCalifornia for the really kind offer to leave the cali on your driveway :)

We're not against paying for a campsite, only our hope is to stay somewhere that doesn't require driving so we can both enjoy a drink or two and then head back to the cali for the night.

Thinking again, I guess we can always stay at a campsite (less risk of being disturbed) and get a taxi if buses look like a faff, I'll check out options including the one at Kennington. @Gavin123 we stayed at Bridge Villa a couple of years ago, it's a nice site and a lovely stroll over the river into Wallingford, though might be a bit far out for this time.

There’s a campsite at Go Outdoors on the Abingdon Road. Open to all (despite it being a club site).

But why not park outside your friends house ? They can give you a visitors parking permit and all should be fine.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. @kurienp thanks for the photo - it's handy to know the sign doesn't say you can't sleep overnight as I had wondered about this ;) - and @OxonCalifornia for the really kind offer to leave the cali on your driveway :)

We're not against paying for a campsite, only our hope is to stay somewhere that doesn't require driving so we can both enjoy a drink or two and then head back to the cali for the night.

Thinking again, I guess we can always stay at a campsite (less risk of being disturbed) and get a taxi if buses look like a faff, I'll check out options including the one at Kennington. @Gavin123 we stayed at Bridge Villa a couple of years ago, it's a nice site and a lovely stroll over the river into Wallingford, though might be a bit far out for this time.
We stayed at the C&CC site behind Go Outdoors. The road is pretty busy, but the site was surprisingly quiet.
There’s a bus stop in front of GO and regular buses. From memory, they were roughly every 10 mins and took less than 10 mins to travel into the city centre. If you download the Oxford Bus Co, you can purchase a ticket and see real time info of where the buses are.
The on site facilities were in need of refit, but always clean. We stayed there in August 2022.