Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thoughts on euro 5 /6 / 7.. & 2026 ?

V

Vandergraff

Vehicle
Looking to buy
We're looking at 5.1 Cali's at the moment (as it is all our budget will stretch to) and are having to consider what impact to our travels buying a Euro 5 vehicle could make..

We were thinking of holding out for a Euro 6 T6, but with Euro 7 not that far away and VW stopping production of Diesel engines in 2026 - or earlier if euro 7 makes them unviable - buying anything right now seems crazy, yet I know we're all still doing it as there is no other option..

The newer it is, perhaps the more potential loss - so maybe we should go for a T5 / euro 5 anyway (!)

It's yet another thing to confuse / delay us buying (as if the covid price hike wasn't enough)... but realistically if we don't buy something soon I think we never will..!

Just go for it @Vandergraff
There will still be diesels on the road in 2030 and beyond. There will most likely be more restrictions via Low Emission Zones etc and governments will probably tax fuel more heavily but that’s no reason to delay IMO.
Furthermore, an all electric California is a long way off.

Euro 6 emission standards for diesel engines was a very difficult technical challenge. Most of the discussed emissions reductions for euro 7 will be almost impossible to achieve. However, one proposal is to effectively keep euro 6 standards and incorporate on board real time data transmissions on engine performance and real time emissions. This one could do at a cost, guess who would pay! Big brother will be watching.

De Frenchspeaking part of Belgoum and some cities will introduce a LEZ for every vehicle that is not Eu6D ISC-FCM. So even a 2020 Eu6D Temp is not welcome from 2028.
I think not many countries will follow this, except for Amsterdam (eu6 from 2025 and zero emission from 2030) and Arnhem in The NL.
Just buy 1 now (EU5 is possible) and enjoy. Be sure not to overstretch your budget as emissions wil be more important in the future for the value of your Cali.

Back