Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Three seats in the front?

H

hopster

Hi,
Has the possibility of replacing the passenger captain chair in the front with a double seat for three-abreast in a California been explored?
I've got three children and the wife insists on coming with us. A single fifth seat in a middle row looks like a chore...
Any thoughts?
Thanks

Colin at Oxford T5 may know whether it's possible?

It's very doable but clearly you will loose the ability to have front seats that swivel So it will loose camping practicality.

Possible to do it in a panel van and shuttle, a good few hours work as the additional bolts to secure the seat won't be there and the floor covering will have to be cut as well.

cheers

MisterTea said:
It's very doable but clearly you will loose the ability to have front seats that swivel So it will loose camping practicality.

Have seen swivel plates for double front seats on internet, whether they would interfere with kitchen,I don't know

I am also keen on this set up for the same reason. I believe the following is required / to be considered....

(1) Double seat base is only available in black, Cali seats have a grey base?
(2) Front Airbag in a Cali is a single and an upgrade to a double might be required?
(3) To install the extra 4 floor studs you need to lower the fuel tank and remove some under trays. You can then use the VW brackets underneath with the captive nuts.
(4) You also would need to make 4 holes in the flooring/ carpet to do this but the actual holes through the metalwork will already be there.
(5) You can re register the vehicle with dvla by using the amendments section on v5 to 6 seats.
(6) You would need to check with your insurers to make sure they will be happy with the modification.
(7) You might need to get it retrimmed to match your other seats?

I've seen double seats for a few hundred pounds on ebay and i'm guessing its a few hours work.

I've still to find out if the swivel plate will fit past the kitchen........if it does them I'm going to get it done!

Cheers

David

Just a word of caution, that double seat is firkin uncomfortable for any real distance as it is a fixed back.

ex-Transporter owner !

NZCol said:
Just a word of caution, that double seat is firkin uncomfortable for any real distance as it is a fixed back.

ex-Transporter owner !

I thought you get ones which reclined and also folded flat?

You may well be able to but all the Transporters and Kombis we had with 3 seats were fixed

Hi,

In our CALIFORNIA-ish conversion we have the drivers seat on a swivel base and the double passenger on a swivel from Kravans. This is swivels by undoing 4 plastic headed bolts, opening the passenger door and pushing the whole lot forward rotating through 180 degrees then do gnu up 1 of the four bolts to secure. The problem is that the seat does not slide back and forth so there is quite a bit of space in the cab. We use this space in the footwell for our pushchair when camping.

It must agree with the other post that these bench seats are pretty uncomfortable, on a trip from bristol to Cornwall I am feeling the pain in the lower back by Exeter! Furthermore, they do not recline.

We have vast bought a California! and whilst I am looking forward to comfortable seats! I think I will miss the bench seat in a way as it is great for putting bits on the seat when driving and sitting next to the little one when we are camping. It also has loads and loads of storage space beneath it!

If you really need the extra seat I would say go for it but just give the kitchen some consideration as my Cali kitchen is modified to fit on the off side of the van.

Andrew.

Bally2811 said:
NZCol said:

ex-Transporter owner !

I thought you get ones which reclined and also folded flat?

Either have a fixed back, or the back folds down. No adjustment in the double seat back for comfort.

cheers

If VW had done a lay out for the Cali with 3 front seats as standard we would have seriously considered it rather than the 5 seater layout.

(But the seat would have to be comfortable!)

The 5 seat work for us as it keeps the children far enough apart that we have reduced the number of fights when in the cali!

Back