Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Extra seats - mulling over ideas

andyinluton

andyinluton

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
I could do with six seats in a SE for a one off three week long trip. I currently have 5, safeguard the insurers are happy to insure with 6 so the problem is where to put the last seat.

1. Cheapest and preferred option if it works is to get a second 5th seat (ex caravelle middle row are about £250) I have read on a forum that someone has done that, & managed to get them both in staggered, can anyone confirm its possible as my tape measure reckons it might just!

Next option is a second bench, this will fit but would cost about £1400 & Its a lot of extra weight.

3rd option is a double front passenger - this looks a bit too permanent.

4th what about putting an additional single seat rear facing behind the bench - the seat is designed to be used rear facing & it would be no further back than the bench could go anyway.

5th just a thought has anyone fitted a child seat to the middle of the bench just using the iso fix mountings, leaving both seat belts available for two other children?

6th anyone know of a 6 seater beach for sale at a decent price?

Final question for now - is there anyway of actually removing the stopper in the rail behind the bench without taking the bench out? Ive undone the screw & it slides up & down but I can't get it out of the back end of the rails because of a bar across the rails, the stopper is about 2 inches long & for option 1 that could make all the difference

If I needed it regularly I would go for the front double but as this will only happen once a year Im a bit reluctant as once its done it would stay like that whereas with an extra single it can be put in as & when. I normally have a single sitting in my office at home, not sure where I would keep another bench.

To give an idea of usage in the 9 months we've had the van I've done something 6K miles solo for work, approx 2.5k and 2 weeks 5 up, and 5 long weekends camping with just 4 of us with another couple of trips for 4 already planned.

The eldest two children have actually said if we go back to spain they will happily come in the summer holidays, if its UK they would rather stay with grandparents. As I can't fly due to perforated eardrums theres only one way to get there.... we do have a 7 seater car but that won't fit all the luggage, I hate driving it, it drinks petrol but I could replace it with a beach if theres one out there.

Thanks, I'd not seen that, I did find a thread on here though that mentioned having to code out the side airbag, & change the front one, if it was a fit it and leave it like that exercise I would do it, trouble is I would want to swap back to a single front a couple of weeks later.

Final question for now - is there anyway of actually removing the stopper in the rail behind the bench without taking the bench out? Ive undone the screw & it slides up & down but I can't get it out of the back end of the rails because of a bar across the rails, the stopper is about 2 inches long & for option 1 that could make all the difference
I haven't done this, but I took the forward one out and there is a small rectangular section that unclips to allow the stopper to be extracted from the slot. You should be able to see this near the kitchen cupboards.

There may be another one further aft for the rear one, or you may be able to slide the seat far enough forward (after removing the front stopper) to allow the rear one to be slid forward.

An additional bench in the rear sounds the safest and easiest option, I have seen a place that sells California kits on eBay. You could sell it on afterwards.

An additional bench in the rear sounds the safest and easiest option, I have seen a place that sells California kits on eBay. You could sell it on afterwards.
Just found one here, but I see what you mean about the price :eek:. Still, you should get most of it back ...

I took the stopper in front of the bench out through the unclipped hole in the rail, can't see how the back stopper could get out without actually removing the bench. The guy on eBay has been selling those seats at that price for a year or so, I can't work out if its the same one keep being relisted or he has a good supply of them. if its the same one all the time the chances of getting a decent resale price are fairly minimal & then next year I may have to go through the whole process again.

I might just take a gamble on a £250 ex caravelle single middle seat. At least I know I can move it on my own & can make space to store it.

I have visited Kernow Transporters (The ebay seller in question) and I can confirm that he sells many seats, both front and back and converts T5 Transporters into California lookalikes. His workshop is like an Aladins cave of California parts, amazing!

I have used isofix in the middle (the fixing point's are the same distance in between), and got one kid on each side of the baby...

Must make I photo...

Claudiopinto - have you got a photo of that setup? I'm trying to use my Cali with 5 of us. 3 children and 2 adults. Need as you do, baby in middle and two children either side.

Thanks in advance for your help..

If you are putting children on the bench there is a company that does a unit that goes on a seat to make it seat 3 or 4. I know I looked at it when I had my sports car but it was pre my Cali days. I will try and find it on the Internet for you.

If it were me, I would definitely look for a second two seat bench. It would seat two extra children in safety. It is a neat solution and providing it is OK with your insurers the only issues that I can see are:
1. How easy is it to remove the second bench seat when you reach you holiday destination? I don't know as I have never attempted to remove the bench.
2. Will the second bench and occupants seriously eat into your permitted payload and therefore reduced your what other kit you are able to carry, unless you intend to tow a trailer.

From memory you should be able to remove the rear stop entirely but if not, just move it to its very farthest rearward point on the rail.

Here's what you're looking for http://multimac.co.uk/home

Don'T forget kids grow up'

Here is a van with a multimac 3 seat bench installed. This is the basic 3 seater which is loaned and it will be swapped shortly for a wider 'club' 3 seat bench which will make full use of the bench space which is otherwise dead space.

Yes it's only a solution for younger children and of course the children will grow up, but with a 5, 4, 2 and 6 month old and 70k on the clock of our California already, I think the van will be done long before the children get too big. I think it will be ok until they are about 10 and at that point the oldest can go in the single seat. The seat can also be used in other cars if that is required.

Practically speaking, it is quite heavy but then I am used to lifting the single seat in and out when we need to camp and so its lighter than that. The children seem comfortable in it and despite the proximity to each other, the scrapping (all boys) is no worse than normal.

image.jpeg

I have used isofix in the middle (the fixing point's are the same distance in between), and got one kid on each side of the baby...

Must make I photo...
Hi, did you ever post a photo? Do all Cali's have the ISoFix as standard…I've never noticed it in ours. I'm guessing you push the seat belts in behind the child seat?

Here is a van with a multimac 3 seat bench installed. This is the basic 3 seater which is loaned and it will be swapped shortly for a wider 'club' 3 seat bench which will make full use of the bench space which is otherwise dead space.

Yes it's only a solution for younger children and of course the children will grow up, but with a 5, 4, 2 and 6 month old and 70k on the clock of our California already, I think the van will be done long before the children get too big. I think it will be ok until they are about 10 and at that point the oldest can go in the single seat. The seat can also be used in other cars if that is required.

Practically speaking, it is quite heavy but then I am used to lifting the single seat in and out when we need to camp and so its lighter than that. The children seem comfortable in it and despite the proximity to each other, the scrapping (all boys) is no worse than normal.

View attachment 12909
I think this looks like a good solution but I am struggling to get the company to demonstrate their product to me! I've even offered to go there!

Thanks, I'd not seen that, I did find a thread on here though that mentioned having to code out the side airbag, & change the front one, if it was a fit it and leave it like that exercise I would do it, trouble is I would want to swap back to a single front a couple of weeks later.

I can give another reason not to install the front double.
Its horribly uncomfortable. If you sit next to the door, the seat belt cuts into your neck and if you sit on the middle seat you don't have any leg room because of where the gear stick/column is located.
Stick with the single up front:thumb

Last edited:
I can give another reason not to install the front double.
Its horribly uncomfortable. If your sitting next to the door, the seat belt cuts into your neck and if you sit on the middle seat you don't have any leg room because of where the gear stick/column is located.
Stick with the single up front:thumb

That wouldnt bother me at all - I always sit in the right hand seat unless drunk:D

Back