Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sorry Now Sold Thule Easy Base & Easy Bag

Gavinskii

Gavinskii

Vehicle
T5 Beach
I have a Thule Easy Base & Easy Bag which have literally been used once and are dry stored in my house up for grabs (thought my older kids might join us on Cali adventures .....alas they haven't!)

The base can support a variety of bike racks (single or double) a solid box or the EasyBag that I have. It's totally modular and designed for up to 60Kg

If you shop around you can find these for £360 new.

I'm looking for £240 collected from Surrey KT23 or at a push, I might be persuaded to send by courier (though would need to check cost)

Would you split? Have base, fancy bag.....

I'd be interested in just the base

Gents if you can work out an offer each which gets me to my target price, I am very happy to split!

Gents if you can work out an offer each which gets me to my target price, I am very happy to split!
If these two don't come up with anything attractive, I am interested in both and can collect next Wednesday or Thursday daytime. This is subject to confirmation that they can be used in conjunction with the T6 bike rack.

Gents, thanks for the interest.
CaliKev & Greenfinch have indicated that they would be happy to split the items. I will therefore pursue this, but keep Crispin Family in reserve just in case the logistics aren't favourable.

If these two don't come up with anything attractive, I am interested in both and can collect next Wednesday or Thursday daytime. This is subject to confirmation that they can be used in conjunction with the T6 bike rack.

Hi Tom, I've had some communication with CaliKev (acting also on behalf of Greenfintry) and due to requirements to package up for a courier + size and weight. He is going to sidestep this. Therefore please drop me a PM with your contact number and we can sort out logistics.

Here is a link to thread on use with bike racks + photos

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/thule-easybase-bike-rack.3195/

Cheers
Gavin

Tom, nice to have met you today. I hope the rack and bag come in handy on your year long adventure :thumb

Tom, nice to have met you today. I hope the rack and bag come in handy on your year long adventure :thumb
Great to meet you too, and thanks for your encouraging words about our forthcoming trip.

Had a lovely walk with the dogs on Box Hill on the way home. Parked at the top, walked down to cross the River Mole on the famous stepping stones, only to find the river in spate and the stones submerged. They will still be there next time I'm passing... and hopefully not under 18 inches of water.

I have the Thule easy base and bag, in standard form the boot lid cannot be opened whilst the easy base is attached to the tow bar. I cut off the bottom of the folding support arms just below the bolt holes. This allows the easy base to be left connected whilst camping, turns into a handy drying rail. Enjoy.

I have the Thule easy base and bag, in standard form the boot lid cannot be opened whilst the easy base is attached to the tow bar. I cut off the bottom of the folding support arms just below the bolt holes. This allows the easy base to be left connected whilst camping, turns into a handy drying rail. Enjoy.
This is useful information. I was hoping that the support arms could be removed completely and the bag secured to the bike rack above with rope or bungees. When parked the bag could be removed from the rack and put in the van for security. Is this feasible?

Yes but the folding support arm protects the bootlid from the bag moving forward and touching the paintwork.

Yes but the folding support arm protects the bootlid from the bag moving forward and touching the paintwork.
OK - good, more useful information. Would a workround for that be to use bungees between the van end of the base and the van end of the bike rack to replace the job of the support arms.

I have so much to learn and so much to work out.

Personally I do not think bungees used on any vehicle are a good idea.
Good ratchet straps maybe but no need at all to do away with the support arm if you modify as I said above. The easy base bag has plenty of straps as part of the bag built in.