Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thule Sun Blocker Storm Straps

Seaview

Seaview

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
IMG_2910.JPG We took delivery of our Thule Sun Blocker from the shop today and all looks good.

However, just having a trial run and at 2.4 metres in length we can't fit the storm strap brackets at both ends as the space available is obscured by the awning legs.

Can anyone advise how to overcome this as it can often be sunny and windy at the same time and we wouldn't want to rely on the securing points for the Blocker holding the awning in place.

Are they storm straps? I thought they might be to hold a wound up sunshade. Role up from the bottom and use the velcro straps to hold in place while still attached into the wind out awning. Could be wrong. Great bit of kit.

The Thule tie down kit goes in to the leg of the awning , very visible in the picture above ...the space under the hinge.

Sorry, maybe I've not been clear. The Sun Blocker is a great bit of kit but I want to use our Thule storm straps at the same time as the Blocker and there doesn't appear to be enough space on the rail to slide in the storm strap metal brackets into the available space.

HC is correct. I have secured my awning with sunblock in place.

I tried that but the leg is in the way and I can't pull the strap out forward of the leg to tension it and stake it to the ground.

Do you have the bracket for the storm strap attached to the same chanel the blocker slides through?

I have the Thule sun blocker and the Thule tie-down kit and it works fine. The tie-down kit attaches to the hole in the top of the leg rather than the rail that the sun blocker slides in to.
They don’t interfere with each other.

EDIT: the Fiamma tie-down kit does fit into the same rail and would be a problem.

We have one of those too but yes it won't work for the same reason as the Fiamma.

OK! thank you for that as it would appear we may have a Fiamma storm strap kit and not a Thule kit. The Fiamma kit has a bracket and not an 's' hook but apart from that it would appear to be very similar.

May try to source a couple of 's' hooks to use with the kit we have otherwise it will be a Thule storm strap kit purchase.

ETA Lovely mat!

AC0A348A-9D74-497B-86BD-8011013715C5.jpeg Pic showing storm straps and sun blocker in place.

Last edited:
All sorted now, we had Fiamma storm straps initially but have just received a Thule kit from the shop today so ready to go away on a road trip to Ireland.

IMG_2911.JPG

Good decision as quality straps and connections. Gives confidence to leave awing up. Enjoy your road trip.

I found the Thule Storm straps have a lot of excess webbing on them. I assume it enables them to be used on the awnings on Big Whites .

After a couple of uses I trimmed ours down to a length that was more suitable for a lowly California.

Alan