Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thunder alloys durability

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
I'm getting a little narked at how easily my Thunders ate picking up scratches on the rececessed area behind the rims. None of it is kerbing and some are quite deep. Just checked the in laws 7 year old X5 with vaguely similar rims; not a scratch.

Are they badly lacquered? I think I will get onto VW.

A bad Cali week so far!

Mine picked up what looked like a couple of stone chips early on but nothing since.

Sadly i think there is a problem.

My Cali is under two years old with 7000 miles and the thunder alloys are already flaking paint. It lives in a garage and I have never Kerbed any of the wheels.

Just on the edge of the spoke where it meets the rim there corrosion on more than one of my wheels. This is visible without the need to take the wheel off, as there is a 5p sized flake that spans both the visible spoke and the inside of the rim (effectively behind the edge of the spoke)

Has anyone else had this pls?

Are wheels three year or twelve year warranty issues pls?

More cost cutting from vw would be my bet

gatvol said:
Sadly i think there is a problem.

My Cali is under two years old with 7000 miles and the thunder alloys are already flaking paint. It lives in a garage and I have never Kerbed any of the wheels.

Just on the edge of the spoke where it meets the rim there corrosion on more than one of my wheels. This is visible without the need to take the wheel off, as there is a 5p sized flake that spans both the visible spoke and the inside of the rim (effectively behind the edge of the spoke)

Has anyone else had this pls?

Are wheels three year or twelve year warranty issues pls?

More cost cutting from vw would be my bet

Blimey that IS bad - the guy at the dealership said any flaking IS a warranty issue so you should be able to get them replaced.

MIne are just mysterious scratches that I've not had on any other wheels before; I can't imagine how they got there! Sadly very unlikely to be warranty-able but it shows they aren't properly sealed.

Had my 4 alloys replaced under warranty for paint bubbling at c 11,000 for a garaged vehicle that is cleaned properly, used on average twice a month when not going away in it and the wheels have never been curbed.

Suggest that all owners of Thunder alloys remove them, clean thoroughly and inspect the edges and rear face of the spokes. You really want to get this sort of thing sorted in the warranty period

gatvol said:
Had my 4 alloys replaced under warranty for paint bubbling at c 11,000 for a garaged vehicle that is cleaned properly, used on average twice a month when not going away in it and the wheels have never been curbed.

Suggest that all owners of Thunder alloys remove them, clean thoroughly and inspect the edges and rear face of the spokes. You really want to get this sort of thing sorted in the warranty period

Cheers for this - mine haven't got any worse but I will check them all carefully.

Just had the lacquer flake off on the car wheels - turns out many tire fitters are a bit hamfisted when mounting the wheels on their machines and often crack the lacquer around the middle of the wheel - that's another £300 to get them properly refurbed…. :headbang :headbang

Back