Time for some new boots

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Kennycalifornia
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Well my Mk 2 Sportline alloys are looking a bit old now. After running a set of 16s since I found a cracked alloy last September.
I’ve decided the van needs another set of 18s.

I think there is slight less body roll and it’s more sure footed with the 18s. Perhaps it’s my imagination running wild...???

Anyway.
Volkswagen or After Market...?
What 18s are you running.
Pics please if any, much appreciated.
Soul ;)

I need to lower mine a touch me thinks.
The van is 6 years old and needs a mid life spruce up.
Mk 2 Sportline. Can’t decide to refurb for get a different set of wheels.

0587AE24-1AE7-47CF-B78B-03BD02522E0B.jpeg

looks pretty good to me. get the wheels refurbed if they’re dinged and spend the rest on diesel, a ferry & ale on arrival ...

looks pretty good to me. get the wheels refurbed if they’re dinged and spend the rest on diesel, a ferry & ale on arrival ...

One of them has a crack. Ive had it repaired and put a new tyre on but its still sitting in the garage. They are 7 years old and showing their age a bit.
I do have a niggling feeling that repaired alloys aren't a good idea, especially as we do a few trips over the water.

Wondering about these.
Not sure if black works with blue.

BF316550-44F2-4CD1-ABA4-42AC2F9110B6.jpeg

138073F7-7413-4A8A-ABD1-174963ED1E66.jpeg 9AFC8DB2-52BF-4BF1-9C48-433595EEF1C5.jpeg

18” Springfields and VW 30mm lowering kit (actually made a big difference to body roll and stability).

Yup, the OEM kit from dealer. The top pic is actually pre-lowering kit.

It looks level as well, in the first picture your Cali looks a little bit tail down - although that could be the angle of the photo...

How is it when loaded up for camping?

VW Sportline alloys, 50mm vogtland lowering springs with Bilstein Shocks all round...have also fitted rubber chocks in the rear spring to prevent the van sagging down too much when it’s fully loaded.

85E19B52-AF29-4CD0-8EBC-B8D0CE915F7D.jpeg

D81B58FC-A56F-4ACC-88D5-71ED889813B5.jpeg

It looks level as well, in the first picture your Cali looks a little bit tail down - although that could be the angle of the photo...

By design the wheel centre to wheel arch measurement is greater at the front than at the rear according to VW Technical drawings/measurements. So that is normal. Many vehicles are the same.
https://bb-database.com/jctumbau/web/international/transporter-technische-zeichnungen

Has been discussed here

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/pedders-suspension.10117/page-6#post-244728

It’s actually one of the things that annoyed me -
It did look tail down and I always felt it ‘looked’ wrong (even though it’s normal). The lowering kit has definitely balanced it out better, and it’s fine when fully loaded.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back