Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

To book or not to book...

• Thread starter nomadicmedic2005
  • Start date
nomadicmedic2005

nomadicmedic2005

VIP Member
We're starting to think about a 3 week trip to France in June. We have no plans as such yet but wondered is any of you could give us any advice on whether there is a need to book sites in advance in June? I'm aware July/August can be really busy but wondered what people's experience in June is?

We don't necessarily want to be tied down to an itinerary but clearly don't want to turn up and be turned away.

Also, any lakeside recommendations?

Thanks!

You will be fine in June and should not need to book before going, I would just phone the sites when you are on your way just to make sure.

As for lakeside sites, the campsite we held cali's en champagne last year is next to a beautiful lake and is a good stop off on the way to the South.

nomadicmedic2005 said:
We're starting to think about a 3 week trip to France in June. We have no plans as such yet but wondered is any of you could give us any advice on whether there is a need to book sites in advance in June? I'm aware July/August can be really busy but wondered what people's experience in June is?

We don't necessarily want to be tied down to an itinerary but clearly don't want to turn up and be turned away.

Also, any lakeside recommendations?

Thanks!
Normandy will be busy in June this year, its the 70th anniversary of D day.
Ron.

In our experience on the continent we have never been turned away from a site even in the height of summer. We tend toward smaller sites and aim to arrive early enough so that we would have an option B if need be. Particulalrly scenic sites can fill quickly, beachside campsites in Spain or on the Loire valley to name just two where, whilst full we have never been refused entry in July/August.
It does also depend upon how long you stay and this is the key. If it's just a night or two then categorically no problems. If you stay for a week or two then I would suggest you book.
Campsites in spain will rarely take reservations (unless on the coast or intending to stay for a longer period) as they will always guarantee a space for just a few nights - and we have found them to be true to their word always.
All campsites will reserve a small proportion of their sites for 'passing traffic' I.e. Those that stay for one or two nights and these are the spots they will not book out for say a week. They do this in the hope that the passers by like the site and then book up for a week or two the following year.
Alan Rogers guide has been the best for us... Sounds like a great adventure I am sure you will enjoy....

As last post you should get a pitch even in peak season maybe not for a full week you may need to move pitches but there are plenty of Aires and some by the beach. Just a tip though if you are moving from one site to the next, then get going early and plan to arrive before midday at the next site to avoid Siesta time which could mean hanging around for a few hours until reception re-opens.

We've travelled in France Spain and Germany in June for the past three years and never booked.

The only time busy times are the dates around Ascention Day and Pentecost, which can be surprisingly busy in some areas. They are big holidays in Holland and Belgium, so more than average numbers of pitches are occupied, especially on the transit routes to and from NE Europe. Ascension Day is May 29 and Pentecost Sunday is June 12 this year, which is on the late side. We've only once come across a full site in our three years though, when passing through Luxembourg, and many sites will be close to empty. We were once the only occupants of a site in SW France.

We do make sure we turn up in good time, as many site managers and owners knock off by 6pm. Then on most sites you just choose a pitch and pay the next morning, but some sites have token or passcode entry systems so you won't get in if you arrive late.

As ever, ACSI is good value for these times of year, and many municipal sites are being upgraded and are in good locations for walking into town.