Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Travelling to France in August do we need to book?

Sab

Sab

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Just wondering planning to go to France for the month in August do you think we would need to book campsites or would we just be able to turn up?

Personally, I book. Normally a very busy time. Others will tell you they never book or wildcamp and never pay. Horses for courses, but I prefer to know where I'm sleeping that night. Outside the high season a different story as normally not a problem.

The most popular sites get full so book anywhere you particularly want to stay but you should be be able get in somewhere with a little driving about.

If you feel safer with pre-booking then do it .
Most campsites will take you in even when "full" , always a place for a campervan like the Cali.
For me i would not pre-book in France , there are pleeeenty campsites , free camperspots , farms ,....to spent the night
If you pre-book you are fixed on your trip , something i do not like . If weather turns out bad you will be sitting there or lose your money if driving further....

Last edited:
Thanks for your help, we would rather not book and be free to explore but travelling with three kids didn't want to get stuck with nowhere to stop!!

With three children, yes.

I would prefer the security rather than be searching somewhere late at night with three children getting fractious.

Thanks for your help, we would rather not book and be free to explore but travelling with three kids didn't want to get stuck with nowhere to stop!!

You got a point , and you probally would like sites with pool , playground,....
Not park-up , eat , sleep kind of thing we do with two adults.
each has their own needs...

But there are plenty campings in France , look some up on the www and book them , you'l have big fun!

We made the mistake of not booking a few years ago in July and all the big sites ( ones with pools etc.. ) were all full. If you are travelling in July and August with kids and you want facilities you will need to book in advance, even now some sites are full if you want the nice pitches.

We made the mistake of not booking a few years ago in July and all the big sites ( ones with pools etc.. ) were all full. If you are travelling in July and August with kids and you want facilities you will need to book in advance, even now some sites are full if you want the nice pitches.
Heresy. Booking.!!!
I totally agree. Especially if you have a family or want to visit specific locations . Outside the main holiday seasons it is different matter altogether.:thumb

We have two children and are going to France for three weeks end of July beginning of August. Out of the 21 nights away we have booked 5 nights at a site in Brittany and another 5 nights in Il de Re (where we are meeting friends) the rest we'll take as it comes and just hope the weather is good.

I'm travelling through France end of July beginning of August I've booked a all singing all dancing site for the kids for 4 nights in the middle of a 21 day trip but we are gonna ad lib the rest ..... Wish us luck and let's hope to make some memories :)