Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

To S O R N or not to S O R N

W

Wondering Star

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Just had my tax reminder for the T6 £465, as I'm unlikely to be using it in the near future and we also have a second vehicle are there any pitfalls to completing the SORN?

Only pitfall I can think of is that you'll just be extending your 5 year higher rate tax. For example if you SORN for 2 months you'll just be paying the higher rate for 2 months extra at the end (if you renew for 12/6 months at a time).

Only way around this would be to SORN for 6 months then only renew tax for 6 months for final higher payment.

Just had my tax reminder for the T6 £465, as I'm unlikely to be using it in the near future and we also have a second vehicle are there any pitfalls to completing the SORN?
Check with your Insurance company first. Some will cancel the policy.

Check with your Insurance company first. Some will cancel the policy.
Checked with Admiral and they confirmed in writing that my cover was still valid but as you say definitely check.

I'm with Direct Line and they said they had no problem with me taking the Cali off the road. They would be mad to as it's substantially reduced any risk and I'm still paying the same premium.

That's good to hear, I'm also with LV and will probably take the van off the road.
Would like to think we will be travelling again by August but who knows?

Only pitfall I can think of is that you'll just be extending your 5 year higher rate tax. For example if you SORN for 2 months you'll just be paying the higher rate for 2 months extra at the end (if you renew for 12/6 months at a time).

Only way around this would be to SORN for 6 months then only renew tax for 6 months for final higher payment.
Really - surely it starts or gets set from the date of registration ?

Really - surely it starts or gets set from the date of registration ?
Yes it starts from registration. But you can't get 10 months tax as an example so if you go out of sync by sorning you'll have to still pay the higher rate for the last 2 months so you're not saving much.

Does that make sense?

Yes it starts from registration. But you can't get 10 months tax as an example so if you go out of sync by sorning you'll have to still pay the higher rate for the last 2 months so you're not saving much.

Does that make sense?
SORN it on the 6th year anniversary - get a refund - then buy another 6 months or year at the reduced rate ?

Last edited:

I pay monthly and I have SORNed my motorbike and van conversion. I will also SORN the California shortly. The higher rate of tax is neglig
SORN'd on 30th March, will review on 1st May or 1st of each month after.....

Cheque for balance came through within 6 days
I got a cheque through from SORNing my van - so annoying, who uses cheques these days? DVLA are happy to take money electronically but not refund it in the same way. I think they know people will not bank it immediately or hopefully lose it.
ble.

I pay monthly and I have SORNed my motorbike and van conversion. I will also SORN the California shortly. The higher rate of tax is neglig

I got a cheque through from SORNing my van - so annoying, who uses cheques these days? DVLA are happy to take money electronically but not refund it in the same way. I think they know people will not bank it immediately or hopefully lose it.
ble.

Use your bank's phone app. Most allow cheques to be deposited now and they clear within a day or two.

Back