Side Door Access N/S or O/S

Kitesurfer

Kitesurfer

kitesurfer
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi all - A bit concerned

The VW factory California, has the side door on the off side drivers side, but when looking at VW conversion companies, they all seem to have near side access, passenger side.

We are looking to per chase a VW California soon but i am unsure of access to safely get the grand children in and out of the Cali on the off side with traffic flying past.

I know you can park on the opposite side but this is not always convenient.

I would be grateful for comments of any one with the same concerns

Terry

I believe it's because the Cali is based on a LHD euro van.

Conversions will be based on RHD UK vans.

If necessary, the grandchildren can always go out between the front seats and through the passenger's door if you can't find a suitable place to park on the wrong side of the road.

I had a converted t5 before the Cali and can honestly say its not been a problem at all :thumb

Not a problem, as noted you can always exit via the passenger door but really it's not an issue that's bothered us at all.

Hi

Thanks for your response, & Suggestions getting the young ones out the passenger door.

While flicking through the VW Brochure, it has different photos of the cali showing side door on the off side, then the next photo has the side door on the near side, a bit confusing to a newbie

Regards

Terry :D

we actually really like the LHD interior config so that passenger seat swivels by the kitchen unit .... and have no probs at all with door on the "wrong" side!
basically the tooling up to have the whole interior reconfigured and swapped to sit on the other side is simply not worth investment for the relatively small UK market...
I think the brochures may sometimes flip the images round ;)

Hi David

Thanks for your comments, i am sure when we do purchase our first cali we will manage with that config.

busy looking for the right spec, hopefully in the next month or so

getting exited :clap

trying to stay cool & not rush in

Thanks
Terry

Really nice toffee brown just come in tonight :thumb

That sounds very tempting toffee brown

We are still waiting for a sale of the caravan to begin the down size to a cali.

This may take some time who knows :headbang

If we still have the caravan when the Cali on the farm event is on, can we join you all in this event.

It is a German Caravan so we should blend in, Don't want to look out of place.

All done in the best possible taste

Terry

Kitesurfer said:
While flicking through the VW Brochure, it has different photos of the cali showing side door on the off side, then the next photo has the side door on the near side, a bit confusing to a newbie

Some of the brochure shots are photoshopped from the European brochure, so they mirror image the scene to get the steering wheel & vehicle on the correct side of the road. Doh!

Back