Toast. New favourite gadget!

sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
All,

Firstly, I must say what a fine forum this is. Everyone here seems to have a decent grasp of the English language and how to spell and punctuate it. In addition, nobody has called me "chap" or fella" yet. Keep it up.

Toast. Breakfast isn't complete without it. Sadly my T4 Westy California (exactly the same internal configuration as the T5 Cali) doesn't have a grill so, unless a hook-up is available there is no toast on the menu.

Not anymore. Google "Gelert CUT118 folding camping toaster".
Exhaustive testing at the weekend optimised performance on three types of bread of varying thickness.
Speed will outstrip any electric toaster. Set your gas burner to minimum or you'll cremate the bread in no time at all. Turn often for best results.

Can't wait for the crumpet season!
A peach of a gadget.

S.

Had one for afew years now and never leave home without it fella :)
Brilliant cheap camping accessory :)

...but doesn't the toast smell like gas?

The beauty of the Gelert toaster is the heat difuser, the metal gauze that glows red.
Simple but effective.

S.

...but doesn't the toast smell like gas?

???? No !! It has a round base plate that heats up & heat radiates up to the toast. Works well, just have to remember not to leave toast on it for too long or you get Carbonized toast !

You are officially the most useful forum member here! I am getting myself one of those PRONTO!!

Ahhh civilisation has been restored to our Cali. Got one of these today from halfords and I have now made perfect toast. I did try the round 4 slice one but I don't think it works as well. I am now considering getting another for 2 slice action.

Spaghetti hoops on toast anyone?

Adding this to my shopping list. Had a similar device built into our gas camping cooker (pre-cali era) and that worked well. Tried the other one mentioned above; round base and holds 4 slices, this doesn't work, in my opinion, and the large round base spreads the flame and heat too close to the edge of the cooker for my liking.

Right... Off shopping :D

Cheers Barry

MichaelB said:
Ahhh civilisation has been restored to our Cali. Got one of these today from halfords and I have now made perfect toast. I did try the round 4 slice one but I don't think it works as well. I am now considering getting another for 2 slice action.

Spaghetti hoops on toast anyone?

who would have thought halfords making us smile with toast :smile

Looking at the bigger picture, it also means Toast Toppers are back on the menu (for those old enough to recall these).

Ok, you'll need to cheat a bit and heat the tin of MSG gloop in a pan before spreading.

Ham and cheese anyone?

S.

toasttopper.jpg

Cracking piece of kit... always kept one in our campers.

Sunday, Busfest... went to make breakfast and horror of horrors... can't find it, not in it's normal home.

Must go get another.

M

This is my version. £5 from the range

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347525491.991263.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347525512.621035.jpg

SimplyDubs said:
Cracking piece of kit... always kept one in our campers.

Sunday, Busfest... went to make breakfast and horror of horrors... can't find it, not in it's normal home.

Must go get another.

M

Your right great bit of camping kit and a must for any toast lover and a cheap useful gadget :)

We had the Gelert 4 slice version as shown (think ours was made by Colemans?) when tenting and using a Camping Gaz cooker. We threw it away after a couple of trips as pretty useless. Then we bought the Gelert single slice version with metal gauze - magic, have used it often, including since we got our Cali. Folds up into the size of a postcard and cost very little. Wouldn't be without it!

We also had the gelert 4 slicer - used it once and found it utterly hopeless and never used it again.
So have been without toast in the camper for 3 years!

Maybe i'll have to look at the single slice option, we've got some lovely lemon & lime marmalade at the moment and it's making my mouth water just thinking about it :smile

EDIT: Just saw this review on Amazon for the 4 slice version, made me chuckle : This is the worst 'toaster' in the world. If you want to use all your gas to make a piece of dry bread that even birds have to think twice about eating then buy one. If you want real toast then go to the nearest cafe and buy some.....it will be cheaper than buying more gas and taste better than a dessicated piece of bread. Rubbish!

Back