Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

TomTom Mount on Dashboard Tray

G

gatvol

The dashboard tray comes out easily enough so I am considering getting a mount that attaches to this, and running the 12v cable from inside the dashboard. I can just run the power lead through the dash tray for a neat install with no long wire on display

Should plans change in the future, I can just buy a new dashboard tray, remove the wiring and put the cali back to original again as there will be no permanent holes

Do people know the best way of getting a (fused) 12 v supply from the wiring loom that serves the radio pls ? Or do I perhaps graft a wire onto the back of the cigar lighter contacts in the ash tray that pops out

Thanks

Have also been wondering about this. As it is can-bus wiring I believe you have to be careful where you pick power up from.
Could possibly run a fused wire direct to the battery.

Hi, noted that, did simalar 3 years ago, see attached, perfectly reliable and allows Tom Tom to be taken on/off instantly, no wires! ..... modified PC Tom Tom charger base, with PC USB cable, fixed to tray, 12V to USB cable adaptor installed under tray, (with fuse)!, carefully wired into cigar lighter rear with solderd connections, hope that helps.

P10204732.jpg P10204752.jpg

gatvol said:
The dashboard tray comes out easily enough so I am considering getting a mount that attaches to this...
How do you get the dashboard tray out?

A useful guide, thanks! I shall look to buy the required trim removal tool/torx screwdriver set from somewhere.

Just to add my 2p worth...

I routed an extra 12V socket up to the glovebox from the two wires underneath the ashtray lighter socket. Using a USB charger in there I can either plug in any USB device to charge in the glove box or the TomTom USB lead that I have run under the dash tray. If you look carefully under the plastic "ticket clip" there is a small gap that a cable can squeeze through so you don't need to drill a hole. You can just pop the clip out, put the USB plug through, adjust to length and then push the clip back in. I'll admit it's tight and squeezes the cable but it's only a cheap lead and easy to replace.

Can u do the same with a garmin anyone know ??? With that sort of base

lfm said:
Just to add my 2p worth...

I routed an extra 12V socket up to the glovebox from the two wires underneath the ashtray lighter socket. Using a USB charger in there I can either plug in any USB device to charge in the glove box or the TomTom USB lead that I have run under the dash tray. If you look carefully under the plastic "ticket clip" there is a small gap that a cable can squeeze through so you don't need to drill a hole. You can just pop the clip out, put the USB plug through, adjust to length and then push the clip back in. I'll admit it's tight and squeezes the cable but it's only a cheap lead and easy to replace.

I have done the same with my I phone fitted a 12 v socket in the glove box ran the USB cable through the back of the glovebox under the dash and connected to the dock that is fitted to the tray also ran a jack lead the same way plugged into the aux and through the glovebox to the iPod dock. Nice neat finish now all I need to do is sit the iPhone in the dock and listen to my tunes
Also have Tom Tom installed can also now control tracks on my hands free kit :thumb

phone 1.jpg phone 4.jpg phone2.jpg phone3.jpg

The main fuse panel is in the centre under the drinks holder so this would be the ideal place to take a switched live feed from and it could then be fused directly from the main panel.

The way to do this is to use a VW repair wire, a small yellow wire about 15 cm long and with your chosen terminal crimped on each end. Cut it in half as you only need one and then once 'unlocked' you can push this into a suitable chamber on the fuse panel.

I can give you the number of the repair wires if anyone is interested.

Hi
I'm looking to put a Tomtom on the dash. My concern is that the 12v socket on the dash doesn't power down when the vehicle is powered down, so you could end up with the tomtom staying on and running down the battery. Where can I take a 12v feed from which will power down automatically when the vehicle powers down?
Cheers
Richard

Hi,
Just wondered how anyone has got on wiring a Tom Tom directly to the fuse box as Stu suggested.
Is it easy to do and do you need to remove the fuse box to do it?

First bit of tinkering with the Cali so might go for the easiest way.

Does anyone have the VW part code for the vw repair wire in case I give this a go?

Cheers

Woody

I've used one of these fuses with a lead off in our Yeti to get the power to the dash tray.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUTOLEADS-BSF ... 0904699664

Find a fuse that is either powered on all the time or with the ignition (personal preference) and then tke the lead and an earth to an inline 12v socket with a USB adapter in. Then used the Garmin lead up through the base of the tray to power the satnav

Back