Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

TomTom now beta testing on CarPlay

s2bear

s2bear

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Hi all,
If anyone cares, TomTom are beta testing on CarPlay. You can message them and request a beta test after which they send you a form to fill out followed by a link.
8a5f737e224952ebb90519dd4f1d5137.jpg

I think it’s on a first come first served basis until they get enough testers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi all,
If anyone cares, TomTom are beta testing on CarPlay. You can message them and request a beta test after which they send you a form to fill out followed by a link.

Are you based in the UK? Your status bar is on the left, I can’t get mine to go on that side.

Is TomTom better than Waze etc? I used to use it on an iPhone for years before alternatives came out.

Yes I’m in the UK but my Cali is LHD so that may be why the status bar is on the left.

I like TomTom - never got on with Waze or Sygic really. Remember to turn off ‘unpaved roads’ with TomTom though, as in the past I’ve been taken through vineyard tracks, car parks and unfinished roundabouts as shortcuts. All of which resulted in elevated levels of in-car ‘domestic tension’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good tip! I don’t use Tom Tom, but am hoping Copilot come up with a CarPlay version.

Another one i’d Like to see on CarPlay is ViewRanger, it’s not sat-nag* but just an e-map which can display your location on OS Landranger and similar mapping.

* that was finger trouble but I thought it was apt, so left it :D

Hi all,

How did you contact TomTom - struggling to find a way in the app

Dang. Sorry.

I like the TomTom but, NONE of the CarPlay NAV apps show directional arrows on the MFD window (do they?) and that IS a very handy function.
I’ve also noticed that if you fire up Apple or Google Maps on CarPlay it clears any route programmed into the VW Nav so there’s no using one as backup to the other.

I’ll keep at the TomTom thing and see how it goes but I think the factory Nav is hard to beat with functionality such as ‘minutes/distance to next Aire’ in a separate window etc. Just a shame the screen is a) small and b) far away... if I can say that without sounding like Father Ted

Wonder if anyone’s retrofitted something from the latest Golf with a big screen.

Dang. Sorry.

I like the TomTom but, NONE of the CarPlay NAV apps show directional arrows on the MFD window (do they?) and that IS a very handy function.
I’ve also noticed that if you fire up Apple or Google Maps on CarPlay it clears any route programmed into the VW Nav so there’s no using one as backup to the other.

I’ll keep at the TomTom thing and see how it goes but I think the factory Nav is hard to beat with functionality such as ‘minutes/distance to next Aire’ in a separate window etc. Just a shame the screen is a) small and b) far away... if I can say that without sounding like Father Ted

Wonder if anyone’s retrofitted something from the latest Golf with a big screen.

I'd guess the big screens on the Golf etc are too big?? Otherwise it would be offered as an upgrade? Maybe in the T7

I'd guess the big screens on the Golf etc are too big?? Otherwise it would be offered as an upgrade? Maybe in the T7

I reckon the golf big screen might fit as it has on screen buttons rather than ‘hard buttons’ I live in hope. (1st world problems!)

I'd guess the big screens on the Golf etc are too big?

Doesn't your Ocean have a colour MFD that can show Nav instructions? My Beach has the monochrome display for the MFD but all of the Oceans I test drove had a gorgeous colour unit.

...and without even a fanfare they released it. I hadn't noticed the new GO app until this weekend when I was playing with the phone.
So its good to have TomTom back on a large display with its downloaded maps etc.
scaled.IMG_2099.jpgscaled.IMG_2101.jpgscaled.IMG_2102.jpeg

Might be part of T6.1 dash/electronics upgrade.

I’ve been using TomTom on CarPlay for the past two weeks on leave in France, my experience is it worked flawlessly and knowing that I wasn’t reliant upon a data connection for navigation was very helpful (I had a Michelin atlas as a back up just in case).

The speed limit warning changed within metres of the roadside signs, speed camera warnings were accurate & given in good time and I was able to find small campsites and remote settlements easily with the address and poi search functions.

I use Waze in the UK as it seems to be more instant with traffic info, however, It does take me down residential streets and narrows lanes to save small amounts of time, TomTom seems to take less of these shortcuts and I preferred that.

Overall I recommend the TomTom app for CarPlay.

Back