Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Towbar electrical question

B

bjw970s

VIP Member
Hi,

Should there be a tell-tale light indicator on the dash to advise electrics are working when using either towbar mounted bike rack in the electrics or trailer?

thanks

There should be an additional signal indicator light. Was your factory/dealer fitted? Mine was fitted by the dealer but they did not programme it into the vehicle system so it did light up on mine.

Les said:
There should be an additional signal indicator light. Was your factory/dealer fitted? Mine was fitted by the dealer but they did not programme it into the vehicle system so it did light up on mine.

Yep dealer fitted so there should be a light... It concerns me if that is not programmed in then have they programmed the stability connectivity as well. Sigh, back to the dealer again.

What head unit do you have fitted? If the head unit displays your parking sensors then it should display a picture of a trailer when something is connected, when selecting reverse on the display. If it doesn't then it may need looking at again.

cheers

Apologies for my poor description of the problem re my question.

I have an RCD 310 fitted. I don't have the optical parking sensor fit (I think - its very hard to determine sadly) so my assumption is that there should be a confidence light on the dashboard. With my towbar mounted 13-pin plugged bike rack plugged in I get no tell-tale to confirm the lights are working. I now have no confidence that the towbar is fitted properly despite being a dealer fit.

Furthermore, I have to say that the VW documentation is appalling.

The book is the most poorly organised document set I have ever seen which has compounded my frustration with the learning experience of the Van. I can't even determine where the fuses are for the tow bar however, I have an impressive set of warnings as to what might go wrong if I breathe heavily etc etc in every chapter.

What should have been a quality experience given the brand I have purchased has turned into one frustrating episode after another.

That rant was due to the lack of ability to determine whether a simple light on the dash board should be lit when my indicators operate (a legal requirement in my understanding if there is no confidence bleep check).

I run a reasonable sized organisation which delivers to a standard with appropriate engineering rigour and governance and my VW experience has been a frankly amazingly 2nd rate one.

Given this was an expensive (in my view) dealer tow bar fit I am working myself up to a suitable engagement with VW customer service on my 'experience'.

A product that costs this much should be far better than it has been thus far.

SIgh.....

Off to try and find a VAG dealer close to my current location to have the towbar fit checked.......

:crazy :headbang

If you are concerned then best thing is to take it back to a dealer and get them to check it for you. Presumably you have checked the light operation by getting someone to operate the lights inside the van and you stand behind and watch?

Cheers

I'm pretty sure that there are no tell tale lights on the Dash. These are generally old hat as the Canbus will tell of any issues even down to lights. When in reverse the radio should show a picture of a trailer as a reminder. if you have reverse sensors you should know as there is a beep when going into reverse and schematic will appear on the radio screen.

So I'd say that if you get a trailer on the radio screen when in reverse and the trailer plugged in you are good to go, this is what I have.

I'm assuming you had a genuine electric kit fitted not an after market third party?

Mine also shows a bulb failure warning if there is a problem with the trailer.

Thanks for the inputs.

My Discovery 3 had canbus but clearly not as advanced as this because it had a tell tale (flashing trailer symbol when indicating on the dash) when the trailer was attached. A good read of the VW book identified no symbol on the dash which corresponded. My initial understanding was that the tell-tale was a 'requirement' but I have not found anything which states that so....

I did carry out the checks mentioned as a logical fault finding process and this gave level of confidence that the trailer lights at least were operating. My new trailer has the 13 pin sockets o you get a good array of functions including reverse on the trailer which is a good facility. There is no radio indication of the reversing lights so that doesn't offer a confidence check.

I would love to take it back to the dealer but like a lot of people these days I work away and getting to a 'local' cali dealer is not easy - the downside of buying a VW that is only sold through the commercial side.

Have to say that complexity has its place but this has been frustrating - Will still need to find a dealer to confirm the factory spec towbar has been fitted properly

On a separate point, having towed a reasonable weight (race car plus trailer) the Van towed very well especially when on cruise control - very pleased with that!

I towed my trailer laden with various items of scrap metal which in all was quite heavy and too found the van to be very capable.