Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Towbar?

If you want functions like trailer stability, switch off parking sensors and possibly remapping on engine & gearbox for towing then you’ll need a dedicated wiring kit from third party suppliers not the bypass relay of old.
Do note that the towbar software added isn’t VW and therefore may be deleted during a service software update so may have to be reinstalled by your towbar fitter. I would assume if the vehicle has the VW prep it will include the required software and would be updated during a service if needed.
As far as I am aware there is no 3rd party software added. Just a change in the vehicle software so that it knows a towbar is available so that when the electric of the trailer are plugged in rear parking sensors and vehicle rear fog light are disabled as well as an adjustment in braking etc to accommodate the trailer. This is not affected by any Service software updates unless related to towbar.

Programming is the BCM to recognise the addition of the towbar, the programming id dependant on whether rear camera or /& parking sensors are fitted !

Thanks all... It helped and the box i believe was just the jack (it does hold removable tow-bar head). Thought i had replied :headbang - It was confirmed it has the tow-bar prep, (so wiring) and actually as we want to mount a bike rack in a few weeks after getting the van so we just asked dealer to install the VW removable tow-bar as well - timing was tight and it will be our only car. So will test and feedback regarding sensors etc.

Regarding black cover @Corradobrit - yeah this has the sport pack specced as an option along with it being and edition. Interesting as i normally need this for the dogs getting in and out of the car but wasnt thinking of it with the Cali as dogs will be in the side.

Mine came with towbar prep and a removable tow bar in the jack / wheel brace storage box. I was all excited hoping it had the full fitting kit but alas nothing on the underside to fit the towbar into and no 13-pin socket.

yeah this has the sport pack specced as an option along with it being and edition.
Are you sure? The upper black protector is as you say installed to protect against scuffs etc. It was the lower black insert on the lower surface of the bumper that caught my eye. The trim is not standard with the Edition is part of the Sports Pack. I wonder if it was ordered separately.

It was the lower black insert on the lower surface of the bumper that caught my eye.
Looked at the spec and it does say "sport package" and also it is an edition. I thought the bumpers are different with sports but honestly no clue what the black scuff plate is - Will tell you in 11 days :):bananadance2

As far as I am aware there is no 3rd party software added. Just a change in the vehicle software so that it knows a towbar is available so that when the electric of the trailer are plugged in rear parking sensors and vehicle rear fog light are disabled as well as an adjustment in braking etc to accommodate the trailer. This is not affected by any Service software updates unless related to towbar.
If 'side assist' is available on your VW, this is also disabled when towing - I don't understand why this is. I had a factory pre wiring loom for towing but the 3rd party put their own gizmos in; the only drawback was less space in the motor battery area where I kept spare litre of oil.

If 'side assist' is available on your VW, this is also disabled when towing - I don't understand why this is. I had a factory pre wiring loom for towing but the 3rd party put their own gizmos in; the only drawback was less space in the motor battery area where I kept spare litre of oil.
Probably due to the increased length of vehicle + trailer.

Back