Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Towbar?

Coelshie

Coelshie

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Hello,
Need your help again. We are about to see a 4-motion Ocean. The advert doesnt mention towbar, or does the pictures show the towbar yet when we asked the dealer they said it was "prepared" for a tow-bar. How do we confirm when looking? Is it obvious?

Also, looking at the pictures and from research it looks like the removal towbar box that is packaged behind rear seats is there (highlighted in blue) - Would this mean this would have a removalable towbar?

Screenshot 2023-11-28 at 18.27.19.png

As the car is around a 7hr drive, trying to do what i can before seeing the vehicle.

Thanks,

The box circled hold your jack and wrench. I don't know if it includes anything extra if you have a tow bar. From my understanding tow bar prep means just that - they prep the van to be able to more easily fit a towbar later. I think this means it has the right loom connections already in place and somewhere to attach the towbar.

Last edited:
The box circles hold you jack and wrench. I don't know if it includes anything extra if you have a tow bar.
It holds the towbar if you have one & its not fitted the van.
As above - if its towbar prep only, its just a bit of wiring to make it supposedly easier to retrofit one.

Interestingly you have a black protector under the rear bumper. That is not standard. Your friend can confirm if it has a towboat. The electrical connector will be visible underneath.

I believe @dspuk will be correct.

In the UK if you order the " TowBar-Preparation" option when configuring the Cali, then all you get is some of the extra required wiring included.

In fact when I ordered our new Cali a few weeks ago, Tom at Breeze told me that even if you order that option, not all of the wiring is included to fully configure the 13 pin trailer socket.

If I were you I would contact the dealer and ask them specifically if it has the towbar fitted or just the wiring preparation.

From previous talk of towbars being fitted afterwards (not factory fit) it seems that Towbar fitters don't use the VW prep as it's too difficult to access inside a Cali.
They supply fit their own system.

From previous talk of towbars being fitted afterwards (not factory fit) it seems that Towbar fitters don't use the VW prep as it's too difficult to access inside a Cali.
I assume if the dealer fits it they would use the existing prep.

I think the use of the existing Factory “prep“ requires third party fitters to purchasing an OEM harness at extra cost, hence some fitters opt to use the free option or splicing the Original loom (disregarding the factory prep).
I believe the factory prep will include the software element pre loaded / coded.

Tow Bar prep = No tow bar fitted

Out of interest i went onto the UK PF Jones website to see what options they have for dedicated towbar wiring kits. If the vehicle has the towbar preparation option then the cost of a wiring kit is £146. Without it, it is £177.

With the VW towbar prep option, there is a wiring loom in the left hand rear of the T6.1 which provides all connections for the trailer socket.

Without the VW towbar prep option there is a need to run extra cabling from the rear of the vehicle to the dashboard.

In both cases the vehicle needs reprogramming to support the basis trailer functions.

The UK configuration option for Towbar Preparation also suggests that the programming is part of the option.

A third party fitter can't provide a warranty on the VW electrics, but if they fit their own cable they can be sure that it's fitted correctly and will give a warranty, also easier to access if there is a fault.

Last edited:
Make sure if you have a towbar fitted that it turns off the rear sensors (if fitted)

Make sure if you have a towbar fitted that it turns off the rear sensors (if fitted)
Just to clarify, I assume you mean it disables the rear sensors only when a trailer plug is plugged in. But leaves the sensors working when nothing plugged in. That's what mine does anyway.

Mine, a Wesfalia kit, was fitted by a third party fitter. IIRC they told me they're not bothered if the van is "towbar prepared" as they put in their own wiring anyway... as suggested by some posts above. So wouldn't waste any money on that option if I was speccing a new van.

Also, 13-pin plug/socket was mentioned above but most trailers will use 7-pin, it's usually caravans that have a 13-pin.

Also, 13-pin plug/socket was mentioned above but most trailers will use 7-pin, it's usually caravans that have a 13-pin.

Sorry I disagree

These days it's hard to buy a trailer that doesn't have a 13 pin plug. Since 2008 any trailer over 750kg has needed a reversing light & a 7 pin plug doesn't have a pin for that.

Any trailer over 120cm wide needs a fog light, again the 7 pin plug doesn't cater for that either.

Almost all new bike racks come with 13 pin plugs - Thule have them as standard.

Its far better to fit a 13 pin socket & use a 7pin adapter if needed than the other way round.

Sorry I disagree

These days it's hard to buy a trailer that doesn't have a 13 pin plug. Since 2008 any trailer over 750kg has needed a reversing light & a 7 pin plug doesn't have a pin for that.
Okay fair point. My trailer is quite old (it's a Brian James and they last forever!). I agree it's probably best to fit 13-pin to the van and use a cheapo adapter if necessary.

Just to clarify, I assume you mean it disables the rear sensors only when a trailer plug is plugged in. But leaves the sensors working when nothing plugged in. That's what mine does anyway.

Mine, a Wesfalia kit, was fitted by a third party fitter. IIRC they told me they're not bothered if the van is "towbar prepared" as they put in their own wiring anyway... as suggested by some posts above. So wouldn't waste any money on that option if I was speccing a new van.

Yes that is what I meant and yes I agree with Andy, 13 pin is the way to go.

PF Jones fitted my removable towbar a few months ago and didn’t use the “Towbar Prep” I’d paid for when purchasing the Cali. They just ran their own cabling underneath the vehicle. Lesson learned.

The important part must surely be the cross member behind the bumper, the big steel beam that the detachable tow bar inserts into.

Does “Tow Bar Prep” mean this is fitted or is it fitted as standard and the “Prep” is simply the wiring?

The important part must surely be the cross member behind the bumper, the big steel beam that the detachable tow bar inserts into.

Does “Tow Bar Prep” mean this is fitted or is it fitted as standard and the “Prep” is simply the wiring?
My understanding it was only wiring and coding. The chassis mounting points are present but lacking any of the 'hardware'.

Ask the seller for a photo of the big sticker inside the service book, the one that has all of the build configuration (PR Numbers) I believe 1D7 is Tow Bar prep fitted whilst 1D0 is not fitted.

Just the wiring.

To install the tow bar you need to remove the original cross member behind the bumper & replace with a new cross section which has the tow bar mount built in.

Its a waste of money paying for the VW tow bar prep unless tow bar is fitted at the same time. Third party locally fitted towbars are a better option as it's quicker to get any issues resolved, rather than waiting for a service slot at VW.

If you want functions like trailer stability, switch off parking sensors and possibly remapping on engine & gearbox for towing then you’ll need a dedicated wiring kit from third party suppliers not the bypass relay of old.
Do note that the towbar software added isn’t VW and therefore may be deleted during a service software update so may have to be reinstalled by your towbar fitter. I would assume if the vehicle has the VW prep it will include the required software and would be updated during a service if needed.

Back