Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Towing Electrics

helmguy

helmguy

VIP Member
Hi all,

I'm just about to install a towbar and electrics and I've purchased using the oem parts for pfjones. As well as the main wiring that I was expecting it came with another box with an additional set of wiring and after a bit of research it's an optional permanent live feed back to the socket that's used by caravans for powering the fridge etc.

Has anyone who's fitted the westfalia towing electrics bothered to fit this extra wiring or shall I not bother?

Thanks,

Mark

I didn't bother - although it didn't look too hard. I don't intend to tow a caravan, I think if you tow a caravan it would be a very good idea.

I have kept it just in case.

T

Thanks.

Another question (sorry!).

When fitting the detachable towbar the instructor mention some extra part that might be needed from VW which is a bumper support (7HO 807 723) and some clips. It seems I can't tell if I'll need this until I start taking it apart. I have a 2014 Cali beach - any idea if it might be needed or not?

I was in the same position. You can't tell if you need it or not until you remove the rear bumper.

I ordered it from VW, it took 3 days to come, then when I removed the bumper it was obvious that the part was already in place. VW took it back with no quibbles.

The part and the 8 fixing widgets were £29.58 inc VAT - just normal man on the street pricing :)

I think a few of us have fitted bumpers and found that the bit is already in place - so you could gamble - but if you find it is missing, you might have to wait a bit for the part - especially if your local VW dealer is not a commercial dealer.

T

I guess as long as I can put it back together it won't be too big a deal. The bit that I'm not sure about are those clips. Looks like the sort I'd thing JD break getting the bumper off and have to replace. Wonder if I can get a bag of them from eBay.

Also, what age is your Cali? I did read some info that suggests this is needed of vans newer than 2009 but not on pre-2009 models.

Mine is a 62 plate 2013 van. There are loads of those clips which are like press studs with a "core". The knack for removing them is to find a small self tapping screw which you can screw into the core bit - then pull on the self tapping screw with some pliers - which will pull the core out - then the clip will pop out easily.

T

Back