Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

TV advice

One thing worth bearing in mind if you’re storing the TV in the van, is that the Avtex case (AK854) for the 18” TV is actually the same as for the 21” version, so it doesn’t take up any less space storage wise. That’s what made me get the larger one, which fits fine on its side in the case, inside the wardrobe.
Hi does the 21 inch tv fit ok on back of headrest? Thanks

Hi does the 21 inch tv fit ok on back of headrest? Thanks

Yeah fits perfectly with the Gallant lift off mount, see photo earlier in this thread. Although I've ended up selling the TV now and getting a mini projector instead :thumb

Yeah fits perfectly with the Gallant lift off mount, see photo earlier in this thread. Although I've ended up selling the TV now and getting a mini projector instead :thumb
Thank you

Does it have to be an avtex tv to fit into that gallant mount or would any slimline 21 inch work? And what Ariel do you use? Thanks for your help

I hardly watch tv at home so the last thing i would take allong is a tv and satelite .
If there's realy realy nothing else to see or to do one can always see a movie on the ipad or tablet but that's hardly never the case.
Also always wonder why people ride 1000km to arrive at the most beautiful places and sit in front of a tv screen.
Even the most beautiful places in the world are obscured from view at night....Unless if you think like Henry Ford you can have any colour as long as it’s black......Everyone is different thank God. We take a TV and half a dozen books...It’s nice to be able to choose.......

Even the most beautiful places in the world are obscured from view at night....Unless if you think like Henry Ford you can have any colour as long as it’s black......Everyone is different thank God. We take a TV and half a dozen books...It’s nice to be able to choose.......
Hi what tv do you use and where is it positioned in the van and screen size ? Ariel? Thanks

Hi what tv do you use and where is it positioned in the van and screen size ? Ariel? Thanks
We have a Bauhaus 21.5 inch tv which we bought from Aldi 3 years ago 12v and 240 v through transformer plug..with DVD player.Takes a memory stick for recording programs...At the time it was £99 but probably £120 now. We find it a perfect size and just sit it on the glass cooker/ top...The Ariel Is a Falcon DVB-T digital TV Antenna with 5 metres cable...It seemed to have the best reviews at the time. I made A thick cardboard slip over box to protect it while stored.....There are plenty of TVs for motor home/camper van in the £300-£400 bracket in a carry case it just depends how much you want to spend.....But at that price not really worried about it getting marked or damaged....

We’ve got the Avtex 188DRS and an Avtex Ariel that fixes either to a window or on top of a few connectable tent poles and the Gallant lift off tv bracket, and use a laptop bag as fitted better than Avtex bag.
Don’t really use it tho , this year for Scottish trip Hubby downloaded stuff onto a small hard drive and took his IPad instead - still didn’t use that either.

I do have a Linsar 16" TV, its barely used though just can't spare that much space. I find it very nice, built in DVR via usb stick, dvd player and uses very little power. I also find it has a very narrow viewing angle which I wonder if its normal.

Basically I never use it, should probably sell it.

I use the august freeview wireless tuner and my ipad pro. Works a treat and i can get all the digital radio channels. You download the app and do all the channel changing on the ipad. Tuner has an 11 hour battery but can run off the usb socket on the van while charging. The only snag is no remote so you have to move to change channel......Doh

Sorry forgot to say because its freeview no data used on your ipad....happy days

I use the august freeview wireless tuner and my ipad pro. Works a treat and i can get all the digital radio channels. You download the app and do all the channel changing on the ipad. Tuner has an 11 hour battery but can run off the usb socket on the van while charging. The only snag is no remote so you have to move to change channel......Doh

Sorry forgot to say because its freeview no data used on your ipad....happy days
I absolutely agree. I have now moved from the laptop set up I mentioned in my post last year to this, the August wi-fi tuner/iPad 9.7" combo. Although the screen is slightly smaller, and when connected, your existing wi-fi connection is replaced with the tuner wi-fi (both of which I haven't found a problem), the main advantages are
  • It is much quicker to tune in (less than 1 minute).
  • Picture quality very good.
  • No wires between aerial/tuner and the iPad
  • Generally lots of freeview channels, (depending where you are), with the aerial inside the van, usually on the dash.
  • Both tuner and iPad can be charged up on usb. No EHU required.
  • App is now free for iOS & Android (it used to be £2.99 as Siano TV but is now free as 'August 405').
It's a great little set up. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it works well for us.

Hmm is there a android one? Could work well with my nebula capsule? :)
Android, yes.
Don't know about your capsule, if can you download the app it should work.... I would have thought!

Last edited:
Yes, but mine is connected via a USB cable, so can be positioned to get best reception rather than having aerial attached to iPad.
The reception is very dependent on signal strength.
I use the VW Lesswire WiFi router to watch Sky/Netflix/Prime and Freeview on my IPad Pro, excellent results.

Slightly off topic but anyone used one of these? we want avoid sapping lots of our mobile broadband when not on WiFi since it doesn’t use a data

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00E5IKLDO/?tag=eliteelect-21
It is a TV tuner that works very well but is totally dependant on the TV signal strength and hence the aerial connected to it.
I've had one in the past and with a good signal strength it works well. I just found I was spending more time fiddling with positioning than watching. Instead I have a MiFi and use Three PAYG sims bought from Amazon as and when and stream programmes. I can use that anywhere and no roaming charges in the countries I wish to visit, USA and Australia amongst them.

It is a TV tuner that works very well but is totally dependant on the TV signal strength and hence the aerial connected to it.
I've had one in the past and with a good signal strength it works well. I just found I was spending more time fiddling with positioning than watching. Instead I have a MiFi and use Three PAYG sims bought from Amazon as and when and stream programmes. I can use that anywhere and no roaming charges in the countries I wish to visit, USA and Australia amongst them.
Agree regarding aerial..... I’ve used a small external caravan aerial and even that was struggling unless there was a strong signal.

I use an old TV aerial (like the one in the link below), drop the cycle rack down, feed the pole through a gap and secure with one of the rack prongs.

Once the cable is fed though the sliding window of the van I plug it into this amplifier:

I bought separate 12v and 240v power feeds, and have an Avtex TV which can run off 12v so totally sorted even when no mains power. I've never failed to get a good reception yet in the UK.

Slightly off topic but anyone used one of these? we want avoid sapping lots of our mobile broadband when not on WiFi since it doesn’t use a data

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00E5IKLDO/?tag=eliteelect-21
I have a very reasonably priced mobile contract with Vodafone that gives me unlimited data. I set up a Wi-Fi hotspot on the phone and connect an old iPad wirelessly. We can stream IPlayer, Netflix, etc. Works a treat and good use for an obsolete iPad which otherwise would have probably gone in the bin.

I have a very reasonably priced mobile contract with Vodafone that gives me unlimited data. I set up a Wi-Fi hotspot on the phone and connect an old iPad wirelessly. We can stream IPlayer, Netflix, etc. Works a treat and good use for an obsolete iPad which otherwise would have probably gone in the bin.
Thats what i use, all neat compact and wire free. I do use Vodafone 30 day sim and unlimited data. and cancel around November and reactivate around April

Perhaps I need to revisit unlimited Mobile Broadband as the last time I tried this with both Vodafone and Three it was dreadfully poor. This was due to on-going maintenance (for Three) in my area and Vodafone was simply over subscribed due to the increase in the number of users taking to working from home at the start of the Pandemic. I could never get consistent speeds over 3 Mbps when I really needed > 10 Mbps to stream GSE Smart IPTV.

If it works out for the better it negates the need for a antenna based solution, thanks.

Perhaps I need to revisit unlimited Mobile Broadband as the last time I tried this with both Vodafone and Three it was dreadfully poor. This was due to on-going maintenance (for Three) in my area and Vodafone was simply over subscribed due to the increase in the number of users taking to working from home at the start of the Pandemic. I could never get consistent speeds over 3 Mbps when I really needed > 10 Mbps to stream GSE Smart IPTV.

If it works out for the better it negates the need for a antenna based solution, thanks.
One site I stayed on had 84mbps Download and 22mbps upload. The Vodafone 30 day sim is good but more expensive but there are about 3 options to choose from.