Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

UK days out

Elly Swanson

Elly Swanson

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but here goes.

Ideas for days out in the UK.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but here goes.

Ideas to days out in the UK.
The Canal and Riverside Trust do some brilliant, free, downloadable guides. You can print or add to your phone/tablet. They have maps and suggestions of things to do and see. They’re very well presented, family and kid friendly. You can download all regions, not just your local one.
Here’s the link:https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/get-your-free-guide-to-fun-days-out-in-your-area
and an example:

EF5337AF-7EB0-4D59-BBA8-DD8A58B9E964.png

11746E7B-664E-49DE-B903-7BBE5D73C57B.png

7C093C74-D2A6-44DC-8712-B62AAC6D454D.png

Good idea... We like canal towpaths for walking and cycling... Forth & Clyde, Crinan Canal and Caledonian Canal all offer good day outs in Scotland. The Kelpies monuments at Falkirk allow camper overnighting for £5...

Last edited:
Good idea... We like canal towpaths for walking and cycling... Forth & Clyde, Crinan Canal and Caledonian Canal all offer good day outs in Scotland. The Kelpies monuments at Falkirk allow camper overnighting for £5...

Hoping to get up to the Kelpies and Falkirk wheel in the Feb half term (whilst it’s still dark early) as a surprise for my hubby. Just a few days away. Going from East Mids via Angel of the North, often passed but never seen it up close (will pub stopover there and carry on next morning). Calling it our BIG trip. He knows we’re going somewhere but I’ll just point him in the right direction and instruct him to drive. Just need not to do my usual trick of falling asleep all the way o_O or we’ll end up in The highlands!

Hoping to get up to the Kelpies and Falkirk wheel in the Feb half term (whilst it’s still dark early) as a surprise for my hubby. Just a few days away. Going from East Mids via Angel of the North, often passed but never seen it up close (will pub stopover there and carry on next morning). Calling it our BIG trip. He knows we’re going somewhere but I’ll just point him in the right direction and instruct him to drive. Just need not to do my usual trick of falling asleep all the way o_O or we’ll end up in The highlands!
Hehe, nothing wrong with the Highlands? There are quite a lot of Swanson's up in Caithness, your Husband's not from up there is he?
The Kelpies are impressive, especially when lit up. We found the car park a bit noisy when we were there on a Friday night, but great location, best early morning or early evening.
33AAFA7E-B4CA-4746-ABD8-F90AB06F4EA0_1_105_c.jpeg
You are straight onto either the Union canal to Edinburgh or Forth & Clyde to Glasgow via Falkirk Wheel.
The Falkirk area is not the best Scotland has to offer though.

National Arboretum Memorial, Alrewas, Staffordshire. Great day out and lots of interesting things to see. It’s not a military cemetery so has a different ambience. Although very moving and poignant, it’s uplifting at the same time.

The facilities are excellent and the restaurant has the most wonderful home cooked food. It costs nothing for entry, just £3 parking. They have lots of events for everyone. Here’s something coming up soon.

9 Feb 2020: Paws for rememberance in conjunction with the PDSA. Spend the day with your four legged friend. Explore the grounds together, whilst supporting the Arboretum.

If you have little kids they also have the Stick Man Trail. We did it last Feb with our 3 yr old (then) granddaughter and she loved the trail and also the space to run around and play. We were surprised that she took an active interest in lots of the memorials too. We also borrowed (for a donation) an explorers back pack that had binos, a hat, magnifying pot for bugs and a magnifying glass. We’ll be going back this half term at her request, in the Cali of course, as we do for all our adventures.
Here’s some pics:
99F1F909-E6DF-40AE-8CA3-AFAA4174BFAD.jpeg 5AC47D4B-399A-49F8-A848-357CD0F18217.jpeg 76DDAB3A-74D6-46AA-AF5C-C907A132C9A7.jpeg 6C9741EE-4618-4ADA-9E23-A7561AFB4B68.jpeg

All in all it’s a cracking day out whether you go on your own, as a couple, a group, a family or with kids of any age.

if you coming from afar the Caravan & Camping Club site at Conkers is only 10 miles away (next to the Conkers discovery Centre). There’s lots of other things to do in the area too.

Hehe, nothing wrong with the Highlands? There are quite a lot of Swanson's up in Caithness, your Husband's not from up there is he?
The Kelpies are impressive, especially when lit up. We found the car park a bit noisy when we were there on a Friday night, but great location, best early morning or early evening.
View attachment 54154
You are straight onto either the Union canal to Edinburgh or Forth & Clyde to Glasgow via Falkirk Wheel.
The Falkirk area is not the best Scotland has to offer though.
Think the Highlands is a bit far for a few days, Mart, but Falkirk way will do just fine. I’ve seen on the web that you can stay in either the first car park or the one further up, which is quieter. Do you have any idea if that’s still the case?

My hubby’s family on the Swanson side were originally from Norway, with some going to Scotland. But his grandad was a sailor in to Liverpool who met a local gal (the Irish side) and stayed. So, we’ve probably got of connections in the highlands from way back. My connection to Scotland is that I lived in Edinburgh Castle for nine months when I was 17. Travelled up to Fort George a few times but that’s as far as I got. Want to do the Highlands and Islands but it’s so darn hard to fit everything in, especially when work gets in the way :D !

I’ve seen on the web that you can stay in either the first car park or the one further up, which is quieter. Do you have any idea if that’s still the case?
Hi Elly, I'm pretty sure that they lock close the access road to the pay & display upper car park between 22:00 - 08:00, and so don't allow overnight stays. The first car park is free (and busy) but they charge a £5 overnight fee which you can get discount with at their very nice Kelpies visitor centre cafe for breakfast / snacks.
I'm sure you can stay at the Falkirk Wheel also, but we haven't and didn't see so much of interest there.
We have also stayed at The Shore pub in Carron (Falkirk), a motorhome pub stopover, which were very welcoming and a nice lively pub with good food and have secure parking round the back.
The general area is quite industrial and has seen better days, don't be put off, but a day there is long enough...

Last edited:
I'm sure you can stay at the Falkirk Wheel
We stayed at the Falkirk wheel a few years ago. A small fee to stay+ a deposit for the loo and shower key .The gates are locked from 2200 to 0800. We were the only van there when we stayed. No power but water avalable.

We stayed at the Falkirk wheel a few years ago. A small fee to stay+ a deposit for the loo and shower key .The gates are locked from 2200 to 0800. We were the only van there when we stayed. No power but water avalable.
From the Falkirk wheel website:
“Some overnight parking is available for a fee of £15 per night, with a £20 key deposit. Please arrange parking and collect keys from our Visitor Centre during opening hours.“

National Arboretum Memorial, Alrewas, Staffordshire. Great day out and lots of interesting things to see. It’s not a military cemetery so has a different ambience. Although very moving and poignant, it’s uplifting at the same time.

The facilities are excellent and the restaurant has the most wonderful home cooked food. It costs nothing for entry, just £3 parking. They have lots of events for everyone. Here’s something coming up soon.

9 Feb 2020: Paws for rememberance in conjunction with the PDSA. Spend the day with your four legged friend. Explore the grounds together, whilst supporting the Arboretum.

If you have little kids they also have the Stick Man Trail. We did it last Feb with our 3 yr old (then) granddaughter and she loved the trail and also the space to run around and play. We were surprised that she took an active interest in lots of the memorials too. We also borrowed (for a donation) an explorers back pack that had binos, a hat, magnifying pot for bugs and a magnifying glass. We’ll be going back this half term at her request, in the Cali of course, as we do for all our adventures.
Here’s some pics:
View attachment 54155 View attachment 54156 View attachment 54160 View attachment 54165

All in all it’s a cracking day out whether you go on your own, as a couple, a group, a family or with kids of any age.

if you coming from afar the Caravan & Camping Club site at Conkers is only 10 miles away (next to the Conkers discovery Centre). There’s lots of other things to do in the area too.
We’ve been here a few times always enjoyed our visits, we are planning on going to this event with our Beagles

Never got there in Feb and then the bloody 5 letter C word happened! It’s a must do for this year, when we can.

It’s still a secret from my hubby. I’ve amazed myself as we’ve talked about lots of places we’d like to go when we can travel again and I’ve got such a big gob!

The Cornish Coastal Path is fantastic, I can highly recommend the stretch from Polperro to Polkerris but a bit of a stretch for a day from your neck of the woods Elly.

I'm glad it's not only Mrs K that falls asleep when we are travelling, maybe that could be a new thread.

Rutland Water: 17 mile walking/cycling around it, lots of bays for picnics, well served for amenities and very well served for campsites within 30 minutes, including my favourite, CAMC Ferry Meadows.

Whoever said Coast Path .... stand up that man! :) @Karlos

One of the top ten trails in the world as often acclaimed by Trails magazine and other regular organisations including of course Conde Nast Traveler, renowned for once having the very best guest writers of all :)

The Cornish Coastal Path is fantastic, I can highly recommend the stretch from Polperro to Polkerris but a bit of a stretch for a day from your neck of the woods Elly.

I'm glad it's not only Mrs K that falls asleep when we are travelling, maybe that could be a new thread.
We would normally come down the southwest at least once a year. Wonder when we’ll be down again.

Never got there in Feb and then the bloody 5 letter C word happened! It’s a must do for this year, when we can.

It’s still a secret from my hubby. I’ve amazed myself as we’ve talked about lots of places we’d like to go when we can travel again and I’ve got such a big gob!
We were there in September, can easily do both in the same day, nice 4 mile ish stroll along the canal between the two venues

Attachments

• 1F27EA74-6AE9-402B-9BFA-4CCCE4E8DE43.jpeg
    1F27EA74-6AE9-402B-9BFA-4CCCE4E8DE43.jpeg
    163.6 KB · Views: 6
  • C2AF559C-3C4B-4943-AC76-C308AB8E6D11.jpeg
    C2AF559C-3C4B-4943-AC76-C308AB8E6D11.jpeg
    123.9 KB · Views: 6
  • B375C010-40DE-44E1-9FB0-8776E7F327C8.jpeg
    B375C010-40DE-44E1-9FB0-8776E7F327C8.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 7