Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

UK plug keeps falling out of the factory inverter plug under the front seat even though it seems to be designed for both UK and EU plugs … just me?

WaikatoCalifornia

WaikatoCalifornia

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Hi all, my 2022 build T6.1 Ocean came with an inverter plug under the driver’s seat (I’m in NZ, so my steering wheel is on the right, same as the UK). The plug is designed to take both EU and UK plugs, but a UK plug never seems to stay plugged in or pops out with the slightest bump or movement. Is anyone else having this issue, or should I refer it to VW? The plug is also installed in what I would consider to be an upside configuration for the UK (earth is at the bottom), but I guess that’s common on split EU/UK plugs, and allows for the left-hinged safety cap over the plug to open away from the handbrake. Just interested really, if it’s a common complaint/design fault and others are having the same issue, I’ll probably just use some 3M velcro strips on the plug and socket. Cheers.

Hi all, my 2022 build T6.1 Ocean came with an inverter plug under the driver’s seat (I’m in NZ, so my steering wheel is on the right, same as the UK). The plug is designed to take both EU and UK plugs, but a UK plug never seems to stay plugged in or pops out with the slightest bump or movement. Is anyone else having this issue, or should I refer it to VW? The plug is also installed in what I would consider to be an upside configuration for the UK (earth is at the bottom), but I guess that’s common on split EU/UK plugs, and allows for the left-hinged safety cap over the plug to open away from the handbrake. Just interested really, if it’s a common complaint/design fault and others are having the same issue, I’ll probably just use some 3M velcro strips on the plug and socket. Cheers.
Never really used in anger but never noticed the issue when have TBH. There was a member though who (I think) removed the outside line from the unit to allow the plug to fit flush - there is a guide on here somewhere on how he took it out and did the job - be worth hunting down. Note - any mod to this area will invalidate any warranty claim you have on the inverter in the future.

I seen to have past a similar post.
What I understood was this was indeed a desing fault. The UK plug even in the Full UK vehicels seemed to have the same fault.
As long as you where not driving around all seemed to be in place but as soon as you start driving, things get bumpy.

There is an article handeling this on the forum already. I suggest you look for it and have a look yourself ;)

I had this issue and someone on this forum recommended getting something like this! It worked really well and the European plug doesn’t fall out of the inverter. That said having bought the extension lead and tested it, I’ve never used it since! IMG_4784.jpeg

I used mine at the weekend, charging batteries on the move. Agree it’s a bit sketchy. Mine stayed in but was slowly working it’s way out. It’s certainly not particularly secure.

Yep - I made up an short 2-way extension with the Euro Schuko plug like the one above - UK one makes and breaks (Even though the LED stays lit and misleads you) - The Schuko is much more secure

Please see my 2-part post from Nov 7th 2022, showing you how to put it all right.

In short, the installation is upside down by design (and therefore plain silly), and the ca. 2mm high perimeter upstand will have you over (and make the plug fall out) unless your plug is wasp-waisted and fits inside this form.

Try the modification which I did, and you’ll not regret it - good luck !

Last edited:
Never really used in anger but never noticed the issue when have TBH. There was a member though who (I think) removed the outside line from the unit to allow the plug to fit flush - there is a guide on here somewhere on how he took it out and did the job - be worth hunting down. Note - any mod to this area will invalidate any warranty claim you have on the inverter in the future.

"Note - any mod to this area will invalidate any warranty claim you have on the inverter in the future."

I'd suggest it very unreasonable on VW's part, highly contestable too, were they to refuse to entertain an inverter warranty claim because the owner had spun his seat a 1/4-turn, safely disconnected the mains socket harness, shaved away a sliver of plastic from the facia plate and / or inverted and refitted it, then reconnected the harness. Just saying ;-) ;-) ;-).

"Note - any mod to this area will invalidate any warranty claim you have on the inverter in the future."

I'd suggest it very unreasonable on VW's part, highly contestable too, were they to refuse to entertain an inverter warranty claim because the owner had spun his seat a 1/4-turn, safely disconnected the mains socket harness, shaved away a sliver of plastic from the facia plate and / or inverted and refitted it, then reconnected the harness. Just saying ;-) ;-) ;-).
C'est la vie.

Back