Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Unaware of roof problems

pingpal6

pingpal6

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I wonder how many California owners are unaware of the roof paint blistering problems.
I have just spoken to a California owner ( he purchased his Cali in 2010) who had bought spray paint and was attempting to repair the blistering paint. When I informed him this is a warranty problem he was totally unaware of this he thought the paint warranty was for 3 years. He had never heard of the vwcaliforniaclub.
He can't be the only owner unaware of the problem there must be many in the same boat.
For a very small cost, joining the California Club is brilliant value.

Agree - great forum - learnt loads on here. Unfortunately however for the 2010 cali owner he might need the spray paint - I think you have to register the roof corrosion with VW within 6 years of registration for them to repair it under warranty - happy to be corrected if this has been extended.

Agree - great forum - learnt loads on here. Unfortunately however for the 2010 cali owner he might need the spray paint - I think you have to register the roof corrosion with VW within 6 years of registration for them to repair it under warranty - happy to be corrected if this has been extended.
I did make him aware he may have left it too late. If I had not had the foresight to join the California Owners Club, would I have known of the roof problem in time? maybe not. Why did VW not sent out this information warning all California owners, this person has had his California from new and was totally unaware

Why did VW not sent out this information warning all California owners, this person has had his California from new and was totally unaware
If it's not safety related I don't think any manufacturer will notify owners of anything that can be repaired under warranty no matter how common it is. The closest you are likely to come to that is when an issue picked up by a very good dealer during a visit for another reason.
Even the safety stuff wouldn't be advised or recalled if they could get away with it legally.

I looked at a Cali being sold very near me when buying and thanks to this forum i identified the roof corrosion and he volunteered that the oil light came on for the first time 'the other day'. It was a 180 2011 model.
The chap had enjoyed every moment of his ownership and I totally believe he knew nothing of either saga.
The internet is still a generation thing for some people. I know nearly everyone has dabbled but some don't fancy it.