Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Underground Parking at Home

G

gibcali

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
We are currently very close to buying a VW California Ocean, however one of my main concerns is that the car will live in a relatively small underground parking.

If you stood in front of my parking you would see that I have another vehicle that parks to the left, on the right is a pillar and behind it is a wall.

I've measured up the parking and in theory the Cali should fit no problem,

My parking Size (cm)Cali Size (cm)
Width220190
Length472490
Height259199

Width: My concern here is how much extra would the mirrors (folded in) add to the width of the cali? I've only got 30cm (15cm each side) to play with!
Length: Not a problem to be poking out an extra 20cm or so.
Height: Plenty of clearance, the parking states minimum clearance is 2.1m.

Does anyone have experience with parking in a similarly small parking?

TIA!

Yes, I do, both at my business garage at Plymouth & a garage I own under a building in Portugal. Similar size to yours, and a right PITA, very slow and careful handling of parking is required.

What is good about the Cali you can exit via the sliding door if you are not xxl by going through the from the front seats, my personal concern would be the car parking next to you opening their door onto your van.

Last edited:
Check there’s nothing poking out the wall behind. Like rebar painted black. I know from painful expensive experience

We are currently very close to buying a VW California Ocean, however one of my main concerns is that the car will live in a relatively small underground parking.

If you stood in front of my parking you would see that I have another vehicle that parks to the left, on the right is a pillar and behind it is a wall.

I've measured up the parking and in theory the Cali should fit no problem,

My parking Size (cm)Cali Size (cm)
Width220190
Length472490
Height259199

Width: My concern here is how much extra would the mirrors (folded in) add to the width of the cali? I've only got 30cm (15cm each side) to play with!
Length: Not a problem to be poking out an extra 20cm or so.
Height: Plenty of clearance, the parking states minimum clearance is 2.1m.

Does anyone have experience with parking in a similarly small parking?

TIA!
Can you hire/loan a Transporter to try?

Folding the mirrors only gains you an approx total of about 8-10 cms as the mirrors fold upwards, not inwards towards the windows.

Don’t you need the mirrors to guide you back...?
That’s what I use with the parking sensors. If I’m honest, can’t remember the last time I looked through the rear view mirror to reverse.

Don’t you need the mirrors to guide you back...?
That’s what I use with the parking sensors. If I’m honest, can’t remember the last time I looked through the rear view mirror to reverse.

I am speccing all sensors and reverse cam.

I would use the mirrors until I am at least lined up straight with the parking, from then on I dont really need them and can fold them back.

Can you hire/loan a Transporter to try?

Folding the mirrors only gains you an approx total of about 8-10 cms as the mirrors fold upwards, not inwards towards the windows.

Yes i think a load is absolutely necessary, do not think i could sleep at night after placing an order otherwise!

Check there’s nothing poking out the wall behind. Like rebar painted black. I know from painful expensive experience

Just double checked this and its a striaght flat wall, thanks for the advice :)

If you have the awning I’ve found 2.2 to be min clearance I would trust.

Just providing an update in case anyone uses this thread for reference in the future.

We rented a VW Ocean this weekend, had a fantastic weekend in Tarifa and managed to test parking it in my parking space.

Great News! It fits with no problems what so ever, with the parking sensors and reverse camera it was super easy to park. With the wing mirrors in I still have plenty of space to get in and out, the cali does not even look over-sized parked in the parking space.

Next step we just need to buy one :happy

Did it have the awning? Mine with awning won’t go less than 2.2 clearance. Feeling cheated if yours did

Did it have the awning? Mine with awning won’t go less than 2.2 clearance. Feeling cheated if yours did

Yes it had the awning and cleared the 2.1m restriction without any issues, my wife watched as I drove it in and at no point did it come close to touching. I did not measure the the height of the van tho, my garage does state 2.1m however I suspect that this is is reality this is about 2.5m.

I've also come across this video which shows it fitting under 2m,

I guess other cali owners can better advise you on what height restrictions they can fit under.

Mine has Awning and definitely fits under 2 m.

At last I can park my van in my garage. I had to have a new door, wider and taller and electric as I could not reach to open it. It is in a parking area under apartments so road area not too wide and a slope up to the garage so needed a little leeway on height. I am really pleased I parked first time although it is not centred. Only a little clearance behind and in front but enough.garage1.jpg

Last edited:
Think you will find its 2020mm which is what mine measures in-laden, not 2200mm so 2.1m should be plenty.

Back