Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

BRIGHTON + PARKING PERMITS

N

nhurst59

We are just a few days away from ordering our Cali and have come across a potential issue with parking permits in our home town of Brighton.

The policy for parking permits is that any vehicle has to be under 2540 KG in weight and the various Cali models range from 2476 - 2634 KG. So we could get the 2.0BiTDI 180PS DSG, although really want the 4Motion version, which weighs in at the very top end and seemingly means we won't get a permit.

I wondered whether any other club members who live in Brighton have managed to get a permit and if so for what model. Any assistance appreciated as suspect when i ask to swap the permit over from my car, there may be some challenges.

Thanks in advance

- we live right in the centre without any off street parking

Steve ( coordinated ) also lives in Brighton and I am sure he uses on road parking, could be worth dropping him a PM

Martin said:
Steve ( coordinated ) also lives in Brighton and I am sure he uses on road parking, could be worth dropping him a PM

Thanks Martin

I have and will update again. :thanks

Hi, Nigel

(This is an edited version of my reply to your DM)

When I've spoken to the (mostly) very friendly and helpful people at the Parking office in Hove Town Hall, they've said that the length is the most important aspect, and that the height is also taken into account (one reason why we discounted a non-Cali LWB/hi-top conversion) – but that the weight was not an issue (and that they just want to ensure the vehicle will fit in a standard parking bay).

Obviously, this is just my recollection, and I'd recommend talking to them face-to-face if you're worried. Personally, though, I wouldn't worry and would just complete the form in good faith (as soon as you own the vehicle, or at least know its registration number), and expect it to go through unchallenged (unless your road has tiny parking spaces!). After all, there are plenty of longer/wider MPVs!

The only problem for us was the waiting list - about 6 months for Y zone at the time :-/
(Much happier now that we can keep our Cali parked outside the house)

Buy the Cali you want, and best of luck :)

Best wishes,
Steve

Many thanks for all the updates received.

I will update again once order placed and look forward to meeting up with many of you in the future. :thanks

Hi Nigel - you could also look at renting a parking space. The council have a list I believe and there are generally a few private drives for rent in the Friday ad.

Linda said:
Hi Nigel - you could also look at renting a parking space. The council have a list I believe and there are generally a few private drives for rent in the Friday ad.

Thanks for the alternative option :thanks

Living in Brighton and having applied for many permits over the years, I doubt anyone would even check at the parking office.

Sure my T2 is longer than a T5? I never had a problem getting a permit for that.

Back