Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Upgrade Stereo to RNS 510?

N

Nighters

VIP Member
Hi all,

I am thinking about upgrading my stereo to an RNS 510. I currently have standard cali stereo with Bluetooth module and multi function steering wheel.

Whats the general feeling on the 510, is it any good? Can I still play my phone music (HTC One) via bluetooth?

Thanks,
Paul

I have upgraded from the std stereo to the RNS 510.

The stereo is excellent and we love having loads of music on the internal harddrive, and we use the SD card slot for even more music.

The sat nav is pretty poor - in my othercar I use my phone with google maps and I am used to that - I find the RNS510 very slow and it comes up with some pretty random routes and the ETA is very variable.

We have used the DVD playback feature a couple of times, but to be honest it is not in a great location to view DVDs so we use an android table to watch films.

However it is built in and it looks very nice and it integrates to the MFD.

Had I paid £2000 as an option I would be a bit underwhelmed, but £500 as an ebay retrofit is a fair price.

Tony

I had RNS510 fitted by HazyDayz before the forum started. As above is a great sound & can control it from multi function steering wheel if you have one. If you also fit bluetooth module phone can be controlled from it.
Agreed the sat nav can be a tad wierd & takes some getting use to. Sat Nav on the kenwood is better as it is Garmin, others swear by the kenwwod & is a good alternative.

vw fitted me the kenwood £1000 option - what they didn`t say was i`d lose use of the multi function wheel and my parking sensors would disappear off the screen! (i now only get the beeps)

It sounds good, the dvd player is good, the satnav is good (although the unit takes time to boot up) but i can`t see why a unit made for vw doesn`t intergrate better - OR has it not been fitted properly - anyone know?

Sounds like it hasn't been fitted properly - I've got the Kenwood unit (the one with DAB) - had to take it back after fitting as no DAB reception, turns out I had a duff antenna. After they replaced it the multi-function stopped working - took it back and they found a plug out; it's really awkward getting to the back of the unit and A LOT of plugs. I can see front and back sensors on the screen too...

It does take ages for it to switch on though - and annoyingly you can't have the radio on without a key in the ignition :-(

Kenwood is good - I've had no problems with mine - I have the older version - it doesn't integrate with the DIS etc but I've never minded. Sound - sounds good to me.

If I could get the 510 for round £500 that would be my choice.

I have found the Sat Nav on the Kenwood weird - but I think that's the nature of Sat Nav and the limitations on having a few set route types - quickest - economy etc.

James

caliowner said:
vw fitted me the kenwood £1000 option - what they didn`t say was i`d lose use of the multi function wheel and my parking sensors would disappear off the screen! (i now only get the beeps)

It sounds good, the dvd player is good, the satnav is good (although the unit takes time to boot up) but i can`t see why a unit made for vw doesn`t intergrate better - OR has it not been fitted properly - anyone know?

We had the Kenwood fitted to a July 13 ex demo. It works with the multi function steering wheel, we did have the sensors on screen but decided to take them off because it overides the rear camera also fitted.

teeboy said:
The sat nav is pretty poor - in my othercar I use my phone with google maps and I am used to that - I find the RNS510 very slow and it comes up with some pretty random routes and the ETA is very variable.

Tony

Now there's an understatement of biblical proportions.
We're currently arguing with our dealer (Tiguan) over how utterly useless the RNS510 satnav is.
£1200 for the VW setup or £50 for TomTom on the iPhone. No contest.

Annnnnndddd breeeeeaaaaattthhhhh.

S.

Back