Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

fitting a rns 510

D

dale6

VIP Member
Hi,
I was looking at replacing my fns 310 for the nav rns 510.
My local dealer says it can't be done as the wiring is different but 3rd party sellers are saying its a simple plug and play.
anyone tried this and if so can it be done?
or would you recommend anything else?
thanks

Assuming the fns310 was a typo for RNS then it is a simple plug and play job. Once you have plugged it in it will function as a bigger and better radio :)

There are a few complications:

- Your van will not have a GPS antenna in it - but most sellers will provide a 3rd party aerial which you can simply place under the black tray on the dashboard and it will work fine.

- If you replacement unit has DAB and the original unit doesn't have DAB then you will have to add a 3rd party aerial (this is more fiddley than the GPS aerial as the cable will need running to the wing mirror (for OEM) or to the windscreen for an aftermarket aerial.

- The final bit is you have to tell the Van computer that it has a new radio installed you can do this via VCDS - if you google VCDS RNS510 this is a well trodden path as it applied to all VW's. You can buy your own VCDS or there are loads of people on here who can do it for you. I am based in the Midlands if you want it doing.

Final final note - this is just for the stereo - if you want Bluetooth adding at the same time then this can be done, but a few more steps.

T

lol. Yes that was supposed to say RNS.

Thanks for the detailed reply.
I think I would just go without dab then if its more work involved routing the cable.

How much do you charge for the vcds?

And I have bluetooth and bluetooth music streaming already so would I lose that or need to do anything to keep it?

thanks again

If you already have BT then it will continue to work - again it will need coding to the new stereo so a bit more VCDS tinkering.

Most people on the forum will do VCDS coding for a beer if you are nearby or at a meet.

If we are not close then if you look on ebay there are loads of people offering their services for £10-20 so you might find someone close. Remember most modern VWs are coded in the same way so they don't need to be cali specific - sadly our dash is quite like a Polo :-(

Keep in mind that these are effectively duffers like me who do odd jobs on their own vans/cars so there will be no warranty or remediation if it all goes wrong.... Having said that I haven't broken my van yet, or my mates Golf!

T

Is the RNS510 the top spec NAV stereo you can get for the Cali? I have just purchased a Cali and it has an aftermarket stereo which I don't like. If so where is the best place to get one?

The stereo options from VW are:

RCD310 - Radio + CD + Small Black and White Screen (a DAB option is available)
RNS315 - Radio + CD + Small Screen Nav + DAB
RCD510 - Radio + 6 x CD + Big Colour Screen (a DAB option is available)
RNS510 - RAD + CD + Hard Dis + Big Colour Screen + Nav (a DAB option is available)

I don't think the RCD510 was ever an option on the Cali, but it will just slot in.

All of the above can be paired with the Bluetooth adapters to give phone calls and audio streaming.

Then you have all of your third party options Kenwood etc.

Finally you can get some Chinese imports which have potentially massive spec, but sometimes are buggy and have a weird user interface.

I opted for an RNS510 from ebay from a dealer who had sold a few before and had a good rating.

Beware if buying second hand as there are loads of versions A,B,C.... the higher the letter the faster the processor and better the screen.

As you can see this can get quite nerdy quite fast - if this is not your thing a VW dealer will add a Kenwood option for £1000 fitted - I think there were bargains to be had a COTF this year.

Hope that helps.

T

i would prefer the VW option as opposed to 'Chinese' as they may work fine but the UI is not very friendly. I'll take a look on eBay then

Keep in mind the stereos I described are last generation VW, so not as fast as the ones you get in the latest shape Golf. I find the RNS510 a bit slow for NAV, but I love the hard disk which you can load full of your music. Sadly the next gen stereos do not fit in the Cali dash :-(

On the whole I am happy with it, but TomTom or Google maps are better Navs (albeit not built in)

T

I love the 'Co Pilot' navigation software that i use on my Ipad in my other T5. This has an iPad dash conversion. Do you know which bluetooth interface to get? So many codes to choose from?

Hi Teeboy,
Can you remember the name of the ebay seller?
the kenwoods have a lot of features but it looks like you could get the 510 for half the price.
Dealer is saying the nag won't work that well with a 3rd party gps ariel thats needed.

My bluetooth is a 7P6035730L and my rns510 is a p model. But I am sure that is not the only working combo.

Fitting the bt is a bit of a faff as you have to route the microphone.

Some calis have the mic in the console near the camping control panel- you can get a bit of trim. Other have the mic over the drivers head, but that means cutting the head lining. Apparently in the headlining is better for audio, but I am a wimp so went for the console option....

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

Beetle type GPS antenna is perfectly fine under the dash. The main thing is to ensure it is not upside down (yes it happens :lol: ) and it has a line of sight to the sky.

Pretty much any RNS510 and VW OEM Bluetooth combo will work, the bluetooth units will differ for older vehicles such as the 729B for red dash inserts etc. but that won't affect you.

Don't buy an RNS510 from eBay for a VW T5 or California, chances are it's not the right shape. You need one from a Golf/Passat etc. The dashboard is different in Europe and with most of the sellers being in Lithuania they are expecting the EU style dashboard.

As T says if you can fit the mic in the headlining above the driver it is much better. Bit of a gutsy move cutting the headlining, I made a template and have done a couple now. There is quite a bit of stuff above the lining so you need to make sure you come far enough back towards the rear of the van to miss it.