Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Upgrading interior lights on 2008 T5

Big Ted

Big Ted

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
I decided to upgrade the G4 interior bulbs of the California to LEDs to help with battery life when not on hook up.
Chose these from the web.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MNK3FP2/?tag=eliteelect-21
A 15 second job per light with a small screwdriver to remove clear plastic cover.

Photo’s show you the size is different, but not too long to fit.
Once they are on they run cool unlike the previous bulbs, so no risk of melting the fittings.

In terms of draw, I was seeing a 2.4amp draw for 5 of these lamps on. After replacing I now see a 0.4amp draw.
Very please with a the upgrade costing about a fiver.

Lights are nice and bright, but warm white not ice white.

308F193B-AC68-4B8C-97A8-69D4546500F4.jpeg C1C0F0E4-191B-42BD-BBE2-3FA88A8A01C2.jpeg

Next steps to look at door well lights, centre cooker light and central binnacle light.

B62C9957-8CA4-4D1C-AF91-736C7E4A9511.jpeg

E3963F7B-E320-4DD0-A84E-58092540D08F.jpeg

5E7996A4-7CE4-4562-911D-8AF59C3F1A78.jpeg

Thanks for posting just ordered some.

Thanks for posting just ordered some.

Top tip for fitting.
DON’T turn bulbs on for prolonged period before removing, they get hot enough to burn your finger. (Guess how I found this out.)
After you’ve taken the cold bulb out, turn the light switch on. As you manoeuvre the new led bulb into place it’ll light up when you’ve found the connections in the holder. When it’s lit, you know you can push it snugly home.

Anything to update on these?
Still working OK? Thanks

All lights still working perfectly ok.
I’ve not done anything about the centre cooker light yet.

My van was blessed with the updated LED lights for the interior.
If you would like to upgrade, please do it this way. You don't want to buy the original LED units! (unless you have too much cash to spend)
I just updated my footwell lights with LED's. Took me 24 LED's to have the (up to this moment) right LED's that last long. The first set started to flicker and die on me one by one. The second set, I just had to adjust the connectors of the LED lamps, but they keep working up till now.
IMG_20180405_175032.jpg
IMG_20180405_175817.jpg

I decided to upgrade the G4 interior bulbs of the California to LEDs to help with battery life when not on hook up.
A 15 second job per light with a small screwdriver to remove clear plastic cover.

Once they are on they run cool unlike the previous bulbs, so no risk of melting the fittings.

In terms of draw, I was seeing a 2.4amp draw for 5 of these lamps on. After replacing I now see a 0.4amp draw.

View attachment 42785 View attachment 42787

Next steps to look at door well lights, centre cooker light and central binnacle light.

View attachment 42783

View attachment 42784

View attachment 42786
Hi Big Ted - just thinking about replacing the internal bulbs as you describe - besides being more energy efficient, I’m at least as interested in increasing brightness - you say they are bright - noticeably brighter than the originals?

Thanks

Ian

Oh it’s been a while since I’ve seen the old bulbs, so not 100% sure I can remember the difference.
I know I was pleased with the end result.

Let me take a photo this evening in the dark and see if it helps show it off.

Here you go.
The centre light above the cooker is still the original so you've a few shots to compare them with.
Just be aware, the camera (New iPhone) is a bit too useful in night mode & makes things better.
The slightly wider angled shot, where the headrest is illuminated, has the 2 lights on by the door.
Hope this helps.

IMG_0277.jpeg
IMG_0278.jpeg
IMG_0276.jpegIMG_0279.jpeg
IMG_0275.jpeg

Thank you! Trying to allow for night mode, I get the impression that the bulbs are brighter so I’ll go for it.

Oh well, got the replacement bulbs, removed the cover off one of the lights, to find this;

00ACBBF4-2CF8-4C70-B10B-343C6FB4538D.jpeg
This is not a bulb as I know it! Looks like I’m out of luck - I’m not technical - I’m thinking that getting brighter lighting is not straight forward for me?

All lights still working perfectly ok.
I’ve not done anything about the centre cooker light yet.

View attachment 42785 View attachment 42787

View attachment 42783

View attachment 42784

View attachment 42786
Thanks for posting this Big Ted. I have the same age van and I followed your lead and fitted the ones you used today brilliant!
Any progress with the cooker light?

I’ve not bothered to be honest as it looked too much hassle for not a massive gain.
Pleased you found the thread useful and have seen the light! ;)

hello All,
does anyone know the type of bulb in footwell lights ,inside bulbs I believe are g4s,but don't know bulb type in footwell.
many Thanks

My van was blessed with the updated LED lights for the interior.
If you would like to upgrade, please do it this way. You don't want to buy the original LED units! (unless you have too much cash to spend)
I just updated my footwell lights with LED's. Took me 24 LED's to have the (up to this moment) right LED's that last long. The first set started to flicker and die on me one by one. The second set, I just had to adjust the connectors of the LED lamps, but they keep working up till now.
View attachment 51575
View attachment 51576
Hi @TripleBee What LEDs did you use on the footlights, any link?

Back