Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5.1 SE interior lights upgrade

Tactical

Tactical

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I was hoping to increase the brightness in the habitation area of my SE by changing the standard halogen bulbs in the round lights to LEDs.

I was going to use the bulbs from the VWCC shop http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/product/replacement-led-interior-bulb

However after removing the plastic cover I was surprised to find that the lights are already LEDs.

Interior LEDs.jpg

Do all T5.1 SEs come with LEDs? I hadn't seen this mentioned previously.

There are only 2 SMDs in these lights, whereas the VWCC supplied LEDs have 9 SMDs and are presumably brighter. Does anyone know whether there is a replacement that would to increase the brightness over the T5.1 LEDs please?

Great question! The larger light over the sink is the only one that is nice and bright.. awaiting responses with interest!

Yes but aren't these threads referring to halogen as the oe? We already have oe LEDs just wanting to upgrade the brightness (hope I have interpreted the op correctly).

There are links in the tread to shops selling diffrent replacing LEDbulbs.
Maybe that can help?

If you already have LED's factory installed they are not that easy to replace as they are hard wired, I think they started to fit LED's as standard around 2012 .. I may be wrong, would be interesting to find out the oldest van with factory LED's?

Mine are LEDs apart from the bendy light and the long light above the sink that are halogen.

I think they started to fit LED's as standard around 2012
The VWCC shop page says:

"These LED lights replace the standard bulbs in living area of the Cali and use a fraction of the power a normal bulb uses so ideal if you are not using hook up.

All rear bulbs can be replaced very easily"​

Maybe a small warning would be useful there as I nearly ordered the LEDs without checking, simply assuming that 'standard bulbs' were what all Californias came with.

Well, mine are all LEDs
Including the long light above the cooker, that has 15 little LEDs in
And the bendy light is Led aswell
And when on, there is plenty of light

The VWCC shop page says:

"These LED lights replace the standard bulbs in living area of the Cali and use a fraction of the power a normal bulb uses so ideal if you are not using hook up.

All rear bulbs can be replaced very easily"​

Maybe a small warning would be useful there as I nearly ordered the LEDs without checking, simply assuming that 'standard bulbs' were what all Californias came with.

I must admit this was on my to do list as it has been bought up before, thanks for reminding me :thumb

All LED and I upgraded the bendy light to a LED bulb. 2014