Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Upper Bunk Mattress Alternative

GollyOlly

GollyOlly

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Can anyone suggest a good alternative to a non-inflatable mattress for the upper bunk in the Cali Ocean? I replaced the original VW mattress with the Sea2Summit self inflating mattress and it is very comfortable; more than the VW mattress. But, to move the van or lower the roof, the mattress needs to be deflated and then inflated upon setup again making it a PITA on mobility. I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with a memory foam type mattress similar to the VW original mattress, but denser or more comfortable that would still allow the roof to be lowered without removal of the mattress? BTW, the van has the slatted roof springs.

I bought this one three weeks ago and after spending two weeks sleeping on it in my opinion it's a massive improvement in my sleep comfort https://calicap.de/schlafkomfort/545/calibed-roof-iv-t5.1/t5.2/t6.0?c=16. Unfortunately Calicap.de will not send to the UK but this company will https://www.volkswagenshop.be/en/2-products/detail/305-calibed-roof-iv-t5t6. I didn’t have mine sent to the UK but instead I made a slight detour to collect from their shop when I went to France three weeks ago. Please note the links are for the T5/6 not the 6.1 and you will also need the footbed to go with it.

Last edited:
Can anyone suggest a good alternative to a non-inflatable mattress for the upper bunk in the Cali Ocean? I replaced the original VW mattress with the Sea2Summit self inflating mattress and it is very comfortable; more than the VW mattress. But, to move the van or lower the roof, the mattress needs to be deflated and then inflated upon setup again making it a PITA on mobility. I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with a memory foam type mattress similar to the VW original mattress, but denser or more comfortable that would still allow the roof to be lowered without removal of the mattress? BTW, the van has the slatted roof springs.
I think there people doing conversions from the slats to the plastic springs.

I have the plastic springs, standard vw mattress and an extra comfy layer up top. I roll the extra layer up with my bedding when the roof is lowered.

My wife sleeps below, she has a similar self inflating mattress to you and is the only way she has been able to get comfortable. The trick is, we pack our V6 Dyson. I have cut one of the attchements off, so it's got a stubby end that fits in the mattress. It stucks the air out in seconds. Bonus is we have a vacuum to keep the van looking tidy. I was going to try it up top instead if the vw matress, the advantage it can stay up there when deflated, instead of taking my bulky comfy layer out every time.

If you are comfortable with the self inflating mattress, I'd see if you can find space for a hoover. We did get a small usb pump/sucker and it is noisy and very slow at doing it's job.

I bought this one three weeks ago and after spending two weeks sleeping on it in my opinion it's a massive improvement in my sleep comfort https://calicap.de/schlafkomfort/545/calibed-roof-iv-t5.1/t5.2/t6.0?c=16. Unfortunately Calicap.de will not send to the UK but this company will https://www.volkswagenshop.be/en/2-products/detail/305-calibed-roof-iv-t5t6. I didn’t have mine sent to the UK but instead Imiade a slight detour to collect from their shop when I went to France three weeks ago. Please note the links are for the T5/6 not the 6.1 and you will also need the footbed to go with it.
Thanks, Alied. That sounds like a great option and just what I'm looking for. I'll try to check it out next time we go over the stream to the continent!

I think there people doing conversions from the slats to the plastic springs.

I have the plastic springs, standard vw mattress and an extra comfy layer up top. I roll the extra layer up with my bedding when the roof is lowered.

My wife sleeps below, she has a similar self inflating mattress to you and is the only way she has been able to get comfortable. The trick is, we pack our V6 Dyson. I have cut one of the attchements off, so it's got a stubby end that fits in the mattress. It stucks the air out in seconds. Bonus is we have a vacuum to keep the van looking tidy. I was going to try it up top instead if the vw matress, the advantage it can stay up there when deflated, instead of taking my bulky comfy layer out every time.

If you are comfortable with the self inflating mattress, I'd see if you can find space for a hoover. We did get a small usb pump/sucker and it is noisy and very slow at doing it's job.
Thanks Phil. That's a great option for inflating mattresses. I was trying to go with the non-inflatable option though because in a storm when we need to vacate the upper bed and lower the roof in the middle of the night, I didn't want the added pain and time of having to deflate the mattress. But using the Dyson definitely sounds like a better option than using the small pump that I am using currently to inflate and deflate the mattress.

Thanks Phil. That's a great option for inflating mattresses. I was trying to go with the non-inflatable option though because in a storm when we need to vacate the upper bed and lower the roof in the middle of the night, I didn't want the added pain and time of having to deflate the mattress. But using the Dyson definitely sounds like a better option than using the small pump that I am using currently to inflate and deflate the mattress.
I use a WORX hoover, small and square and fits in the rear shelves, great hoover and deflates the mattress quickly. Also work well as a hoover for dust and sucking up flies!

I bought this one three weeks ago and after spending two weeks sleeping on it in my opinion it's a massive improvement in my sleep comfort https://calicap.de/schlafkomfort/545/calibed-roof-iv-t5.1/t5.2/t6.0?c=16. Unfortunately Calicap.de will not send to the UK but this company will https://www.volkswagenshop.be/en/2-products/detail/305-calibed-roof-iv-t5t6. I didn’t have mine sent to the UK but instead Imiade a slight detour to collect from their shop when I went to France three weeks ago. Please note the links are for the T5/6 not the 6.1 and you will also need the footbed to go with it.
My vote also goes to the Calibed. Excellent comfort and hassle-free.

I got mixed up, we don't have a inflatable mattress, we have a self inflating mattress (Outdoor Revolution). Its actually more comfortable if it's not pumped up and just left for maybe 5 minutes to do is thing. Around 10 seconds deflate with the dyson.

My vote also goes to the Calibed. Excellent comfort and hassle-free.
Thanks Kingfisher. The added vote of confidence goes a long way in helping to make a selection. Maybe we'll visit the relatives in Heerlen and stop off in Ghent to pick one up along the way.

I use a WORX hoover, small and square and fits in the rear shelves, great hoover and deflates the mattress quickly. Also work well as a hoover for dust and sucking up flies!

Thanks for the Worx recommendation. I'm trying to cut down on stuff to take. We fill our wardrobe on an 11 day trip and there is just no room for more gear. Even the garage is stuffed!

Phil : can I ask if your Outdoor Revolution self inflating is your ‘extra comfy layer ‘ up top or if not what is it you use? Clearly other posters are referring to T6 as opposed to 6.1 and I’m less clear on 6.1 upper bed improvements given that the zonesleep evidently isn’t compatible . Or do others have experience of 6.1 upper improvements- replacement or otherwise ? BTW I’m personally not sure that of itself the slats to springs move is particularly beneficial

I was looking at this over the last few week, then I had a brain wave. if you want a more comfortable sleep up top and are not using the below bed the just put the bottom comfort mattress yup top as well it is so much better.......to sleep on

Last edited:
Have tried this and agree but ruling out lower bed use not an option if you occasionally want to sleep separately for whatever reason

Phil : can I ask if your Outdoor Revolution self inflating is your ‘extra comfy layer ‘ up top or if not what is it you use? Clearly other posters are referring to T6 as opposed to 6.1 and I’m less clear on 6.1 upper bed improvements given that the zonesleep evidently isn’t compatible . Or do others have experience of 6.1 upper improvements- replacement or otherwise ? BTW I’m personally not sure that of itself the slats to springs move is particularly beneficial
I have a T6.1 up top is the plastic springs, the standard cali matress (I'm guessing it's around 50mm) and I put an extra single comfy layer I purchased for the caravan several years ago (approx 50mm).

I am a very fussy sleeper and we have just done 18 nights away with no complaints.

I think if you were to get rid if the vw matress and replace it with a 100mm self inflating matress. You would probably not tell the difference between wood slats, plastic springs or the marine ply you get in conversions. But I have no data to back that up, others might have some experience with this. The 2 foam mattresses I have, the springs add to the comfort.

I have a T6.1 up top is the plastic springs, the standard cali matress (I'm guessing it's around 50mm) and I put an extra single comfy layer I purchased for the caravan several years ago (approx 50mm).

I am a very fussy sleeper and we have just done 18 nights away with no complaints.

I think if you were to get rid if the vw matress and replace it with a 100mm self inflating matress. You would probably not tell the difference between wood slats, plastic springs or the marine ply you get in conversions. But I have no data to back that up, others might have some experience with this. The 2 foam mattresses I have, the springs add to the comfort.
I use the Outdoor Revolution self inflating mattress in the Poptop, removed the original mattress. This works well is comfortable, at takes no storage as when deflated it stays in poptop. I did try the original mattress with a Panda topper first but did not like it, and took up a lot of space.

I use the Outdoor Revolution self inflating mattress in the Poptop, removed the original mattress. This works well is comfortable, at takes no storage as when deflated it stays in poptop. I did try the original mattress with a Panda topper first but did not like it, and took up a lot of space.
Will try this when we are away in the caravan in a couple of weeks time. I can see if I can get a good night's sleep in the Cali with my shadow, a 3 year old cockapoo.

Speaking as a cheapskate who needs a comfy mattress, we add a 2.5cm memory foam topper to the standard VW mattress on top of the plastic springs. It was from Dunelm, we cut it to size so it wasn’t expensive, and it rolls up quickly along with our sleeping bags for compact stowage during the day.
One of these days I will risk leaving it in situ when the roof comes down but I am yet to take that gamble.
I have used an Outwell self inflating mattress in a drive away awning and, although comfy, is a PITA to deflate and I really draw the line at taking a hoover on holiday with me ;)

Speaking as a cheapskate who needs a comfy mattress, we add a 2.5cm memory foam topper to the standard VW mattress on top of the plastic springs. It was from Dunelm, we cut it to size so it wasn’t expensive, and it rolls up quickly along with our sleeping bags for compact stowage during the day.
One of these days I will risk leaving it in situ when the roof comes down but I am yet to take that gamble.
I have used an Outwell self inflating mattress in a drive away awning and, although comfy, is a PITA to deflate and I really draw the line at taking a hoover on holiday with me ;)
How does that work when you need to put the pop top down?

How does that work when you need to put the pop top down?
Not sure what mean but here goes.;)
The topper rolls up and is stored behind the rear seats. It is pretty thin, I suspect it might not affect the roof if left there but I have not tried it as I don't have the courage. Better safe than sorry.
As stated, the self inflating mattress was used in an awning so never got near the roofspace.
My point is that you don't need to spend a fortune to personalise what are essentially excellent existing mattresses. A few quid on adding extra depth can be just as effective as a very expensive replacement.
Just my opinion based on my personal experience :thumb

Not sure what mean but here goes.;)
The topper rolls up and is stored behind the rear seats. It is pretty thin, I suspect it might not affect the roof if left there but I have not tried it as I don't have the courage. Better safe than sorry.
As stated, the self inflating mattress was used in an awning so never got near the roofspace.
My point is that you don't need to spend a fortune to personalise what are essentially excellent existing mattresses. A few quid on adding extra depth can be just as effective as a very expensive replacement.
Just my opinion based on my personal experience :thumb
The point in my initial posting was that I wanted to move from the inflatable S2S mattress to a memory foam-type mattress more comfortable than the VW original mattress and that can be left in the pop-top roof. I've used the standard Cali Ocean mattress and the S2S for a while and found there are compromises with both. The original mattress is uncomfortable and the S2S (very comfortable) requires inflating/deflating/inflating etc. when moving the van. Although I can leave the deflated S2S mattress in the roof, it's a hassle to go through the inflation/deflation saga...and I don't necessarily want to carry more gear to inflate/deflate more quickly. So, I was looking for a comfortable mattress that could be left up in the roof while the roof was lowered. Like you, I don't leave much up there when closing the roof other than for storing the Isolite window blinds. I'm not looking for a topper that I can roll up and store. I use sleeping bags and they take up the space behind my bench seat. I am not trying to personalise a mattress but rather looking for a mattress replacement to minimise faff in the pop-top. I just want to be able to stop the Cali, pop the top, roll out my bag and go to sleep, and in the morning - roll up my bag, stow it behind the bench, lower the roof and drive away.

. A few quid on adding extra depth can be just as effective as a very expensive replacement.
Yes I agree and extra layer is all we need.
Unfortunately we did it expensively, with Duvalays. Extra foam layer, with a fantastic (winter or summer weight) duvet only closed on one side.
As close to our home bed as I think we can expect.

Back