Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

USB Charging speed.

T

T3Z-GB

Guest User
Tonight I noticed a very big difference between the front USB ports under and above the table the bedroom USB ports.

On my 600 the from 30% charge on my phone it calculates time to full using the rear ports as 3 hours and 20 minutes, but when plugging into the front it calculates time to full at 1 hours and 10 minutes.

Could someone please confirm that the charging in the rear is very much slower than the front? maybe someone has a multimeter and can chexk

This was checked with the engine off and the board battery at 70%

Thanks.

Hi T37Z-GB,

It is true what you say, only for the fact that bringing such a low voltage (5V or 12V) on such thin cables (like the ones they used) there is a voltage drop and therefore of a range directly proportional to the length of the conductor same.
This means that: the further the USB socket is from the power source (the Leisure battery in this specific case), the lower the output of the socket itself.

I have given myself this explanation ...

Hi T37Z-GB,

It is true what you say, only for the fact that bringing such a low voltage (5V or 12V) on such thin cables (like the ones they used) there is a voltage drop and therefore of a range directly proportional to the length of the conductor same.
This means that: the further the USB socket is from the power source (the Leisure battery in this specific case), the lower the output of the socket itself.

I have given myself this explanation ...
Sorry but I very much doubt if that is the reason. We are talking about a 12v circuit and quit low current usage of 1 to 2 amps.
More likely the explanation is that the USB socket/charger in the front is rated at 2.4 amps or more and the rear 0.5 to 1 amp. After all, most modern phones used for navigation tend to use higher output USB chargers and such phones would tend to be used in the cockpit not the lounge area.
I bet if you were to check the USB converters front and rear they would be different outputs.

Iv convinced myself that usually the rear sockets are used whilst sleeping to charge phones or just enough to keep it going while you mess about on the device.
So due to that perhaps VW engineers thought its a better option to cheap out with a 20p cheaper socked? (0.5-1A)
I only came across this as I double sided taped a Galaxy tablet to the bedroom cupboard door to watch Netflix and Prime, and wanted to rout a USB-A to C cable, to keep it topped up all the time. Then found the low powered sockets in the rear.

image.jpg

Iv convinced myself that usually the rear sockets are used whilst sleeping to charge phones or just enough to keep it going while you mess about on the device.
So due to that perhaps VW engineers thought its a better option to cheap out with a 20p cheaper socked? (0.5-1A)
I only came across this as I double sided taped a Galaxy tablet to the bedroom cupboard door to watch Netflix and Prime, and wanted to rout a USB-A to C cable, to keep it topped up all the time. Then found the low powered sockets in the rear.

View attachment 86164
You could probably upgrade the socket with a higher rated one.

Back