Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Value Versus Peace of Mind

We had a VERY sneaky endorsement on renewal of our BMW policy stuck in (main summary said "parked on driveway" yet on page 11 in small print, it said "must be parked in a garage") with BMW insurance so I went to Swiftcover. Almost half the price, similar cover.

Swiftcover may be cheap, but are very slow & not helpful when you need to claim. I made a claim from them & had to chase them on an almost daily basis & did the leg work myself. I tried to charge them for my calls & time but it did not work. This is OK if you have can use a phone during office hours. I drive for a living & have to pay for all mobile phone calls so this is not practical.
I have also claimed from Carol Nash (insured motorbike with them) & was a totally different experience. They called me with updates. This is why they have a VERY good reputation.

I ended up insuring my Cali with C&CC underwritten by Groupama who will accept my NCB for £18 less than Comfort.
I also rang Comfort & explained that them not accepting NCB & the being away from parked Cali for more than 36 hours abroad were my, & other peoples, reasons for not renewing.

But I know of plenty who have had no issues claiming with Swiftcover.

The California is with Comfort but we decided not to claim for a £500 repair because its appears to be considered a near crime. So we will only claim for anything over a grand.

Insurance is a necessary evil as are extended warranties (ahem, more insurance). I think a lot of people over stretch themselves with cars paying on big monthly payments, ruinous interest and insuring everything up to the eyeballs.

If you can't pay for any repair out of your own pocket, your vehicle is too expensive. This is why I'd never buy a tempting big depreciator like an M5.
Irrelevant rant over...

OK must be me then !

The California is with Comfort but we decided not to claim for a £500 repair because its appears to be considered a near crime. So we will only claim for anything over a grand.

I agree with that & have paid for third party I hit to get damage repaired.

Insurance is a necessary evil as are extended warranties (ahem, more insurance).

Yes insurance is a rip off, goes up much more than inflation every year. Cheep quote 1st year then goes up considerably at renewal so one has to shop around & find a cheaper quote & move. Uninsured folk don't help.

KernowLad said:

Insurance is a necessary evil as are extended warranties (ahem, more insurance). I think a lot of people over stretch themselves with cars paying on big monthly payments, ruinous interest and insuring everything up to the eyeballs.

If you can't pay for any repair out of your own pocket, your vehicle is too expensive. This is why I'd never buy a tempting big depreciator like an M5.
Irrelevant rant over...
I was with swiftcover for 5/6 years before buying the California, wouldn't entertain the Cali at all, so had to move on

Kevin

Silverfox said:
KernowLad said:

Irrelevant rant over...
I was with swiftcover for 5/6 years before buying the California, wouldn't entertain the Cali at all, so had to move on

Kevin

I think you need different insurers for different vehicles. Our LR 110 Defender seemed to be a bit of a high risk item (lots get pinched) by some insurers but fine with others. The Cali was good with Comfort, the BM seems okay with Swiftcover. Just over £300 for a circa 300bhp 3.0L six pot bi-turbo seems pretty good to me!

coordinated said:
I'm with Comfort and explicitly stated that I'd be parking on the street. It increased the premium slightly but they said it wasn't a problem.
Interesting... We have to park our van on the street and the only people who would insure us were Adrian Flux - didn't help that we'd just had an accident with the car we had before though! No-claims now restored to us, so maybe it will be easier next year.