Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Vango California Ocean Self Inflating Mattress Review

Baldrick

Baldrick

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
After much searching we have found what looks to be the perfect self inflating downstairs T6 Ocean mattress, particularly as we prefer to sleep upstairs when we can.
This might be of interest to those who find they sometimes struggle with boot space &/or find the downstairs mattress uncomfortable.

Our reason for looking was simple, the downstairs mattress is a huge waste of valuable boot space for us 98% of the time.

The Vango California Mattress is almost entirely self inflating when left open for a few hours straight from deflated and it took just three deep breaths to get about the right degree of firmness for us.
It is absolutely tiny in comparison with our original supplied mattress:
Pack Size: 50cm by ø26cm (I guess that ø means diameter). We’ve put it deflated in the roof when travelling, so it actually takes up no useful room*

Inflated it’s
Length: 180cm (5ft 11in for those of us who think of height in imperial)
Width: 100cm
Depth: 5cm
For a T6 Ocean that’s a couple of inches from filling the slightly narrower tail end of the ‘Van,
It’s 6 inches narrower at the wider end &
6 inches shorter than the bed at full stretch. Initially I was a little disappointed that it wasn’t a completely tailored fit, however when testing it out, in either sleeping position, ie side or back, I didn’t even notice it. A rolled up fleece / jumper would take up the unused space by your arm for anyone who has issue with this.

Having slept on a wide variety of camping mattresses over the years (even a painstakingly coiled up rope during an, ahem, unplanned overnight stop at the ‘Midi cable car station - and, no, of course that didn’t work). For me, self inflating mattresses are a great nights sleep, away from home, mainly because you choose how firm you like it by adding or loosing a little air.
We currently use an inexpensive regular topper when upstairs, which makes for a very comfortable nights sleep, and during Storm Francis, having slept downstairs twice we found this similarly a very comfortable arrangement - considerably more comfortable than the VW original.

* When not in use for long periods, whilst not in use, it’s advisable to leave it almost inflated ie with the valves open

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip. Would be interested to know how it compares to the Sea To Summit campervan matress that a lot of people on these forums seem to love. The reviews of it are so positive that I almost bought one even though I'm not sure I need one. Anyone tried both? But then again, sleeping comfort is so subjective..

Thanks for the tip. Would be interested to know how it compares to the Sea To Summit campervan matress that a lot of people on these forums seem to love. The reviews of it are so positive that I almost bought one even though I'm not sure I need one. Anyone tried both? But then again, sleeping comfort is so subjective..
I dont think it reasonable to expect the Vango to compete with Sea To Summit - the S2S is twice as thick and four times the price. But I do find that the Vango is fine for me, in fact I push some of the air out to increase comfort.

Apologies, I’ve checked the depth which is 5cm not 10cm and amended the review

Is this not simply an air mattress that does not fit the dimensions of the California?

If I was to buy one, then I'd want it to fit properly.

We only sleep downstairs when the weather outside is very bad, and have to admit it is not that comfortable, so have been looking for something to go onto the existing mattress for some time. This is not it.

Is this not simply an air mattress that does not fit the dimensions of the California?

If I was to buy one, then I'd want it to fit properly.

We only sleep downstairs when the weather outside is very bad, and have to admit it is not that comfortable, so have been looking for something to go onto the existing mattress for some time. This is not it.
The answer is the Sea To Summit self inflating mattress which fits PERFECTLY! Ditch the VW rubbish and get yourself one of these.

Back