Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VCDS says rear speaker open circuit--help please

dfps

dfps

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi,

My main engine battery has been running down so before replacing the battery I ran VCDS and it reported " rear right speaker open circuit "

So my questions are :

1. Will an open circuit cause the battery to run down over a period of several days.

2. I am not sure if there is a speaker located to the side of the rear bench seat/bed on the drivers side opposite the kitchen unit ? There is certainly an open area in the fabric
covering.
The reason I ask this is that the rear overhead locker speaker seems to be operating okay on both right and left.
Could the VCDS be referring to a speaker to the side of the bench. There is no sound coming from behind the grill so I am not sure if there is a speaker there or not.
If there is an open circuit to a speaker in that location the lack of any sound would probably indicate where the problem lies.
3. If there is no speaker in that location, can the overhead locker speakers still work and have an open circuit ?....I thought an open circuit means there is no power getting there.

My Cali is a 2007 SE 2.5 Tip Model

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Unless you have a high end amplifier in your California (which I rather doubt), like Dynaudio (marked on the speaker covers), there won't be any speaker behind that trim, but as the California shares it's genes with the Multivan (here in Belgium), the trim is the same (with the holes for an eventual speaker).

Just note that you have 4 (four!!) speakers in your overhead locker. 2 tweeters, and two middle/low tone speakers.
And unless your radio unit would stay awake because of an unconnected speaker (which I again doubt), this would not have anything to do with the flat battery.
You haven't plugged anything in your 220V inverter in the left B-side trim? Or in the cigarette lighter?

Given your van is an early Cali, has the engine battery been replaced yet? if not, then it will be on its last legs as it is now 13 years old. May well be due for replacement.

The 'open circuit speaker' should not cause a current drain as it is effectively disconnected, assuming it was fitted in the first place.

Hope that helps.

Alan

Did you clear the faults and re run the tests?

The error will be logged and stay there forever even if the problem doesn’t exist.

So could have been something intermittent and not worth worrying about