Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Visiting UK for foreigners (sites, rules, suggestions, etc...)

estresao

estresao

Vehicle
T5 Beach 4Motion
Hi everyone,

My brand new Cali is here and, as an expat living in UK since few years ago, first thing I want to do is discover UK. I live in Norwich, so places near by will be good for short breaks.

At this moment I have lots of questions, bellow some which I will be greatly thankful if any information is provided:

- UK laws: That's my starting point, I need to understand where can I overnight, camp, raise my roof.

- Web sites/clubs I "have to" visit or get membership: There are tons of information in internet, but there are also lot of rubbish. Could you please suggest me some good one? Opinion about whether it deserve pay the membership will be appreciate a lot.

- GPS navigator POI's: I usually use Sygic and I prefer to get POI's rather to use online web pages because, when abroad, not always Internet connection is available. Where you got your best? I'm very interested in UK POI's

In general, any information will be very welcomed.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Jose

Last edited:
Nearby you have the whole Norfolk and Suffolk coast (seek out the UK's most easterly point! Behind the gas works...) and Thetford Forest.

- UK Laws. I'm not a lawer, but I don't believe that we have a legal right to camp where ever we like - all land in the UK is owned and you should seek the permission of the land owner to camp... On the flip side, many NO CAMPING! signs are not really legal...but it depends on your tolerance of hassle. If you want to wild then just seek out remote places. I like forestry car parks and coves by the sea. It's not like Spain with the camping/parking distinction - we don't have that.

- Useful sites - I like pitchup.com for finding campsites. There is the camping and caravan club. Their club sites are posh but generally pricey. Their network of CLs (max 5 units) is great, often quiet basic places. I guess the Caravan Club are similar. Britstops may also be useful, it depends what you want. Wildcamping.co.uk is useful for wild spots.

- Can't help with the satnav stuff. I have the wildcamping POI and the C&CC POIs loaded on my ancient tomtom. Useful enough for me.

hth
dan

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Dan, I'll have a look to those links you provide me. I got free member of Wildcamping.co.uk to tell whether it deserve to download POIs for GPS, but the free account doesn't allow you see much. I think I'll get a pay member to be able to use their POIs.

One of my questions is whether it's possible to rise the roof to have a rest in those areas in mains roads, where usually lots of trucks stop. Don't know the proper name, they are like an extension to hard shoulders, right next to the road (usually highways). Maybe they are not the safer place to sleep, but some times you get tired driving and it could help

I think you mean laybys. I don't think there are any rules to say you can't stop in them, but I wouldn't. Usually very close to the road, just wouldn't seem like a pleasant place to spend the night.

You also might risk a visit from Stan Collymore if your interior lights are on!

That's it! laybys.

A football player!?!? you scared me!!!, no way I sleep in a British layby J

Back