Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Bike rack - good for ladies' bikes?

Chilly Cali

Chilly Cali

VIP Member
Hi,

Before I buy the OEM rack I just wanted to check that it is possible to secure bikes without crossbars? If so, how? t's not obvious to me from the pictures i've seen as it looks like the clamp arms swing out to the crossbar. I'm sure those clever folk at VW have thought of everything....

:thanks

We've carried Chrissi's bike on it OK, I see plenty of others with ladies bikes. :thumb

hi chilly cali .....my wife has a specialized ladies bike with a very low single style cross bar...
We did have to mess about with it the first time we got it on the rack ,but it does fit :thumb :D

You may also want to consider how many bikes you want to fit that may not have cross bars. Had two ladies and one mans bike on mine last weekend and it took a long time to work it all out. Pedal position was key. Not sure i would have got a forth bike on that didn't have a cross bar

SMG should be able to sort you out a bike rack. I think they had most if not all of the UK stock ready for last weekend!!

I mostly use the seat post as the connection point as it avoids the possibility of scratching the frame, the connection arms slide along the bike rack frame, tilt and rotate, so will adjust to fit most bike shapes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

beardie said:
You may also want to consider how many bikes you want to fit that may not have cross bars. Had two ladies and one mans bike on mine last weekend and it took a long time to work it all out. Pedal position was key. Not sure i would have got a forth bike on that didn't have a cross w. bar
I take the pedals off and definately helps, decent pedal spanner or Allen key and very easy chore, makes life much easier, have had four bikes on, usually only two. VW rack expensive, but so is the Cali and the bikes.

you can clamp it to the seatpost but you can also buy a removable cross bar that goes between stem and seatpost so you can use this bar to hold the bike. This system is used a lot on suspension mtb with unusual frame designs

you can clamp it to the seatpost but you can also buy a removable cross bar that goes between stem and seatpost so you can use this bar to hold the bike. This system is used a lot on suspension mtb with unusual frame designs
We have a removable cross bar for my wife’s bike - it works very well

I clamp my wife’s hybrid bike by the seat post. I also avoid pedal and handlebar clash by mounting her bike on the 1st rack and mine on the 3rd on the 4 bike rack. It is possible to position the pedals so that they don’t clash by putting them in the 12 and 6 o clock positions.

Back