Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Bus Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle
Just browsing
It has never been a secret that I am not a fan of Bus Magazine, I always found the editorial a bit juvenile for my liking. Kind of like Jackie meets Max Power!
However, that has just been a personal opinion that I have, until now, kept to myself

In this latest issue they publish a "how to" on fitting a split charge system to a T5 and it is appalling!
Giving bad advice about fitting something like a set of curtains is just that, bad advice. When it comes to matters of safety they need to be a bit more careful. This article is grossly irresponsible and they should be ashamed. What kind of idiots are running this magazine?????

If you have read this article and are planning on following it's advice PLEASE DON'T!!!! It is wrong in many ways.
If you are looking for information on how to fit a split charge system or any other electrical items I am happy to supply the correct information FOC.

I am sure many would really appreciate any advise on that and I have to fit a new one soon on my t25 so I certainly could appreciate it.

There is a good split charge relay guide on club80-90 too, although I am not qualified so I could be wrong.

I must admit, I enjoy a flick through the VWt magazine. I don't do technical, but love to see what people do to VWs. It's amazing, albeit I'll take the easy option and contain myself to making cushions!

Care to post the script from said comic ?

You should write in and point out the error of their ways.

I did similar once (different comic) in response to an article comparing a low volume/high cost conversion claiming to be a Cali competitor. I simply listed the differences concluding the "competitor" was simply not a patch on the VW.

End result, published letter and some Just Kampers vouchers.

Pod.

I will fwd the comments above onto the editors of VW Bus and to the writer of the article
I can assure you they are not idiots....but as I am not a tech person at all I cant make any comment re the validity of your point or not ...
It may be helpful if you could be more specific about areas you are have issues with so that the editors, writer and the garage who carried out the work (and who are not a dodgy outfit) know more about what you are especially concerned about..you can pm me with this if you prefer....

Last edited:
I have already spoken to Jim about it and whilst he may not be very happy about my comments it is important that people are warned about the dangers of following the advice given in this article. If you are not a tech person then you are not qualified to comment on this at all really. Jumping to the defence of a guilty party clearly displays poor judgement.

oh dear I don't come on here to face that kind of comment...
I did NOT jump to the defence but recognising your concern and a possible issue I said I would pass it on, which I thought in my naivety was the responsible thing to do as I am able to contact them more easily than perhaps others...I don't think that is poor judgement
But I do find calling people idiots on a public forum not helpful..if it's a valid concern why mix in emotive language? No need for that. The editors are long time VW drivers, owners and enthusiasts, if you have a concern about something why descend into personally slanging them off?
I am not qualified to comment on whether any of the procedures are unsafe or not, nor am I taking any side here...I thought I was being helpful in ensuring a concern was being passed on ...obviously not.
I will not be posting any more on this thread.

A little condescending to assume that you have a more easy method of contacting those concerned when any reader can use the contact facility in the magazine!!!
I know personally the editors of this magazine and am well aware of their respective backgrounds, perhaps even more so than you. I use emotive language because this is an emotive issue. Have you soon the damge that can be done by an electrical fault? Have you seen the sorrow caused by such losses?
I have and I am very frustrated that so called "institutions" do not take some responsibility for the rubbish that they help to perpetuate. When it all goes wrong they simply hide behind disclaimers and keep quiet.
I aim to try and make these magazines and forums more culpable. After all, profit is being made on the backs of these articles.
So, next time you want to flex your intellect or occupy some moral high ground in indignation I suggest you give serious consideration to the issues raised.

I am also interested in fitting a split charger and would appreciate some technical help. I also subscribe to WV Bus and have done so for the past three years but won't for 2016. It's going down the pan!

A little condescending to assume that you have a more easy method of contacting those concerned when any reader can use the contact facility in the magazine!!!
I know personally the editors of this magazine and am well aware of their respective backgrounds, perhaps even more so than you. I use emotive language because this is an emotive issue. Have you soon the damge that can be done by an electrical fault? Have you seen the sorrow caused by such losses?
I have and I am very frustrated that so called "institutions" do not take some responsibility for the rubbish that they help to perpetuate. When it all goes wrong they simply hide behind disclaimers and keep quiet.
I aim to try and make these magazines and forums more culpable. After all, profit is being made on the backs of these articles.
So, next time you want to flex your intellect or occupy some moral high ground in indignation I suggest you give serious consideration to the issues raised.

Looks like person has no idea who David Eccles is! I suggest you use google

I just felt I needed to add this information for Blackwell
I have been Editor of VW Camper and Commercial since 2010. I also write a column and articles for VW Bus the sister magazine. I have worked closely with both editors since VW Bus was founded and am in regular contact with both work wise and socially. Having read your post I felt it important enough to check the editors were aware of the post, and the work contact mails are not accessed at weekends. It was done to be helpful. No other reason at all. I am sorry you feel you need to sound off and unable to take it for what it was.
And that really is the end of it as far as I am concerned. I don't use forums to get into this kind of stuff.

I do not see anything condescending.

David is well respected in his field.

You are a well respected authority in your subject.

There really is no need to respond so aggressively.

I think you have all missed the point. I am not critisising David for what he does professionally. I am critisising the fact that he appears to be closing ranks with his colleagues without due regard to the issue raised.
Geriatric gobby member??? Don't play the "aggressive" card, it's so yesterday and doesn't work anymore. Do have a dictionary?

I am also interested in fitting a split charger and would appreciate some technical help. I also subscribe to WV Bus and have done so for the past three years but won't for 2016. It's going down the pan!
If you would like help with this send me a pm and I'll let you have a proper how to

Last edited by a moderator:
Blackwell..... No no no no no.
You are doing your brand more harm than good.
And should be a paying sponsor if you keep touting for work.

Just need to search on the first part of the email he keeps posting.

Mods. This unsavoury thread should be removed, as it started a fight that had nothing to do with the forum, and seemed only an opportunity for a non paying member to promote his products.

Wow, what a horrible person this Bleckwell is, am i correct in thinking he is the one that started the argument about the slide pods as well? He certaitnly knows how to make enemies within the VW community. Has he actually got a California?

Wow, what a horrible person this Bleckwell is, am i correct in thinking he is the one that started the argument about the slide pods as well? He certaitnly knows how to make enemies within the VW community. Has he actually got a California?

So, I am a horrible person for trying to prevent innocent people from damaging their vehicles or even worse harming themselves and their families?????
You lot need to grow up and stop being paranoid. I am not promoting any brand or touting for work.
I can't believe the arrogance of some of you. You seem to have a hierarchic system here where long term membership garners more respect than good honest advice.
And Geriatric Gobby Member has the nerve to call me aggressive!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back