VW California - Domestic Solar Storage

Ajspicer

Ajspicer

VIP Member
VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Had a thought today,

We have an intelligent solar system in our house that diverts excess solar generation to specified devices.

The one downfall with domestic solar is that you cannot store your power for use on an evening, so......

What if the Cali that sits all winter in the garage is charged as a specified device and then the lighting circuit for the house is plugged into the Cali, led lights of course.

Seems like a good way to utilise the power of the Cali batteries throughout winter whilst keeping them charged for free.

What do you think?

Andrew.

In theory, possible. But, during winter would Solar Input = Light power needed???

I think you would need an alternate power input source, e.g.: Wind Turbine to make up for the decrease in daylight hours and quality of daylight.

:goodone

About using solar to power the Cali's batteries. I will be leaving my Cali for at least 4 months on an outdoor site in the south of Spain during next Winter and I am planning to have a solar panel installed on the roof. Do you all think that would suffice to keep both main battery and leisure batteries charged? Is there any connection in the Cali to facilitate a connection to solar power? Thanks a lot
Aileenonroad.

Hiya will it not be stored outside on EHU ie hookup?

Ajspicer said:
Had a thought today,

We have an intelligent solar system in our house that diverts excess solar generation to specified devices.

The one downfall with domestic solar is that you cannot store your power for use on an evening, so......

What if the Cali that sits all winter in the garage is charged as a specified device and then the lighting circuit for the house is plugged into the Cali, led lights of course.

Seems like a good way to utilise the power of the Cali batteries throughout winter whilst keeping them charged for free.

What do you think?

Andrew.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. I'm no expert, but I assume your lighting circuit is 240v? So your charging the 12v batteries via the Cali's 240v system and then using an inverter to convert it back into 240v for your lights? I reckon the losses involved will negate the benefit, whilst stressing your Cali's systems. If your household lighting circuit is capable of running off 12v then maybe a possibility, but if that is the case then I would just invest in a couple of decent leisure batteries to store the power and not risk the VW's systems.

Thanks Isa Neal - I have contacted several of the sites in Southern France and Spain and so far have not found an electric hookup but I think it would be a good idea to have solar in the sun.

aileen roantree said:
About using solar to power the Cali's batteries. I will be leaving my Cali for at least 4 months on an outdoor site in the south of Spain during next Winter and I am planning to have a solar panel installed on the roof. Do you all think that would suffice to keep both main battery and leisure batteries charged? Is there any connection in the Cali to facilitate a connection to solar power? Thanks a lot
Aileenonroad.
We have a solar panel on the roof and it keeps the batteries up to full charge when left parked up in the uk so I dont think it would be a problem in Spain
The panel needs connecting to the leisure batteries via a control unit which will cut of the charge when the batteries are full.

Thank you Briwy. What size solar panel did you use and was it hard to attach it and to find the control unit? Sorry I am rather ignorant about such things.

Its a 100w panel on frame which is bolted to the roof channels
The control unit came as part of the package bought on ebay for around 150 pounds
We are away in the van at the moment but I can let you have more details next week if yku need them

Hi Briwy
I would be interested in the details if you have the time to post them up as I am considering solar for our Cali. How did you route the cables into the van? Drill a hole?
Thanks

Just a thought.
1. Why not install a flexible Solar panel on the bonnet?
2. Or, using rubber suckers, on the windscreen / bonnet or a side window / body panel facing the sun? You don't need Solar charging when driving.

Thanks that is probably a very good idea. I'll mention it to the man who is putting it on for me

WelshGas said:
Just a thought.
1. Why not install a flexible Solar panel on the bonnet?
2. Or, using rubber suckers, on the windscreen / bonnet or a side window / body panel facing the sun? You don't need Solar charging when driving.

Something else to carry in the boot? Something else to set-up on site? More cables hanging around inside?

I've one on my roof and I forget its there, which is the joy of solar.

But, if you have a California with pop-top that you use as an everyday drive then any increase in height limits car parks that you can use and as an everyday drive then 99% of the time driving will top up the batteries, solar panels would be of use only when wild camping or camping without mains hookup.
The system can be setup with fixed wiring inside with just a socket on the exterior to plug in when on site. The panel is so thin it could probably be stored in the pop top or flat in the underbed drawer. Saves having to fix to roof permanently - especially if you have to have work done on the roof.

Ah I'd forgotten about Roofgate / Roofpox warrany worries.

Piersnesbitt said:
Hi Briwy
I would be interested in the details if you have the time to post them up as I am considering solar for our Cali. How did you route the cables into the van? Drill a hole?
Thanks

A few pictures of our installation on this thread.
It's still performing well and despite the gloomy weather keeps the batteries topped up 100% when the van isn't in use without a hook up.
This temporary set up has added about 10mm to the van height. Still goes under a 2m barrier OK.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7483&hilit=solar#p65449

Nick at Comfortz has also modified our topper to have a "window" so that the panel will still work with the topper on. The window is big enough to allow two 100w panels to be mounted sideways or one 100w lengthways in the centre of the roof.

P1180052small_zps8d34754a.jpg

Back